New set of headphones with great soundstage and detail?
Feb 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #17 of 41
I've never heard the Q series, but the K701 and 702 are essentially the same thing apart from a few aesthetic/functional differences (the 702 has a removable cable and, based on other people's claims, a better headband (I like the 701's fit though)). I've never heard claims that the Q is in any way "worse" than the K, but I've heard some claims that it's "better" or "the same" - so either way I don't think you'll go wrong getting the Q (there's that green one though...
tongue_smile.gif
). The Fiio E11 should be more than competent enough for what you're after. Enjoy!

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #18 of 41
another vote for the k701, the sound signature is very similar to the hd 800. they do great with rock and have great soundstage and great detail.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #19 of 41

Quote:
another vote for the k701, the sound signature is very similar to the hd 800. they do great with rock and have great soundstage and great detail.

???

Sorry, I can't agree with this. Do the K701s have a good amount of detail? Sure...for frequencies at 800Hz or higher. Good luck hearing any details under 120Hz. The sound staging is wide, but they sound nothing like the HD800s (thankfully IMO).

My vote, HD600s.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #22 of 41
HD600 is nice. HD650 I think improves on soundstage and detail, but you need a beefy amp or it will sound muffled. For your budget, and if you're also planning on adding an amp later, you can go electrostatic - even a basic 2170 rig or whatever Stax calls it these days will be pretty good, and you can get better deals if you go vintage. If you want maximum detail 'stats are the way to go.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #23 of 41
The STAX basic system is something like $900 (at least in the US):
http://staxusa.com/System/STAX-SRS-2170.html
http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/Headphones/product/Stax_SRS-2170_Electrostatic_Earspeaker_System.html

Unless you know something I don't...

The Koss ESP/950 system can cost less than the 2170, the price dances between $500 and $700 (ostensibly depending on the cycles of the moon or the whims of prancing ponies - I have no idea). I would consider it a reasonable candidate here, but it probably breaks the budget. I agree with the suggestion to go used in tracking down stats. 

Quote:
HD600 is nice. HD650 I think improves on soundstage and detail, but you need a beefy amp or it will sound muffled. For your budget, and if you're also planning on adding an amp later, you can go electrostatic - even a basic 2170 rig or whatever Stax calls it these days will be pretty good, and you can get better deals if you go vintage. If you want maximum detail 'stats are the way to go.

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #28 of 41
I purchased the HD650 with Fiio e7/e9 about a month ago. These are amazing - to actually hear the progress of the soundstage opening up a little every day is beyond awesome. From what I've heard, these aren't the "best" at soundstaging, but for me they are very good.

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #30 of 41

Quote:
What made you like the denons more?

The Denon has better bass, and to my ear, has more details than the AKG, but then again I have the D7000, not D2000. The highs are excellent on both, however it's smoother on the Denon for me. The AKG is great when I want to listen to vocals and classical, for everything else I would prefer my Denon, and Grado for rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back