New Sennheiser HD 448.
Nov 29, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #46 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the HD 448 almost exclusively as my "portable" headphone lately, unamped from my ipod. I love the sound of it, and it is very light and comfortable, with a nice short cord, so it can easily be used for that purpose. It's a weird headphone, because it almost perfectly straddles the line between portable and home use. I am unaware of any other headphone like that.

I'm glad you like the HD448. At least you aren't using K701's, K601's and HD580's as portable headphones like I did for a while. I'm getting my 580's back in a couple of days and after I put on the HD600 grilles I bought from Sennheiser, and give them a listen, they may be going back to my "portable" rig (I don't have a big rig) once I send off my Total Airhead for repairs. I'll have to use one of my Meier amps for the interim (they might work better though for the HD600 though), and I'm almost certain I'll have to eventually replace the drivers and earpads, not to mention buy a cable upgrade and new amp for them.... What Head-Fi'ers will do for their headphone rigs.
wink.gif

EDIT: On a whim I took another listen to the PX200-II's on my iPod playing Keyshia Cole's "A Different Me" album, which is surprisingly well recorded, produced and mastered with a phenomenal soundstage. While the PX200-II didn't image as well as the HD448's or the HD595's, it did surprisingly well, managing to present decent width and depth. Also, I finally found a sweet spot on my ears that provides me with more detail than I was hearing before, and while they aren't hyper-detailed in the mids and highs like the HD448, they are still detailed enough to sound good and are very smooth at the same time. In other words: Priest, I think you'll like them.

-Eric

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #47 of 203
Thanks, Eric. I will probably buy a pair this week. On the HD 448, do you ever get the feeling that you and I are having a conversation by ourselves?
smile.gif
It's like we're the only Head-Fi'ers who appreciate this terrific, versatile, supremely comfortable headphone. And no, I draw the line with the HD 650/K 702 as portables.
smile.gif
-David

Nov 30, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #48 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Eric. I will probably buy a pair this week. On the HD 448, do you ever get the feeling that you and I are having a conversation by ourselves?
smile.gif
It's like we're the only Head-Fi'ers who appreciate this terrific, versatile, supremely comfortable headphone. And no, I draw the line with the HD 650/K 702 as portables.
smile.gif
-David

Yes I get that impression. If my HD580's don't sound as good as I remembered, I might be getting a pair of the HD438's to see how they differ from the HD448 (as the HD448's only flaw that I can tell is sometimes the bass is a bit too light, especially with electronic and R&B music), but it will have to wait until January.

The PX200-II's are a very fun headphone, but give them some time to break in, because like the HD448, they don't sound perfectly stellar when you first listen to them. They also seem surprisingly sturdy, and even though the cord is the same thickness as the HD238, it is much tougher and I don't think you'll have any issues with it. I wish I could say the same for my HD238's (which experienced a snag of the outer rubber encasing and are being protected by electrical tape until I can send them in to get fixed--though they still work).

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #49 of 203
Hi there, I have an old pair of HD 570's that have been well loved, but are now in need of an upgrade. How would the HD 448's sound as an affordable replacement? I am too mean to spend more money at the moment, but the Shure SRH840's are a possibilty. I have listened to Audiotechnica AD900's in the past, and whist very good, they did not seem alot better than my HD 570's. Might have to stick with the 570's till they really fall apart, then getting something alot better - AKG K701, Senn HD600, B&W P5 ???,...

Any thoughts people?

Also considering a uDAC? Will it improve my HD 570's noticeably out of an imac?

Cheers

Julian
L3000.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #51 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by julian2020 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there, I have an old pair of HD 570's that have been well loved, but are now in need of an upgrade. How would the HD 448's sound as an affordable replacement? I am too mean to spend more money at the moment, but the Shure SRH840's are a possibilty. I have listened to Audiotechnica AD900's in the past, and whist very good, they did not seem alot better than my HD 570's. Might have to stick with the 570's till they really fall apart, then getting something alot better - AKG K701, Senn HD600, B&W P5 ???,...

Any thoughts people?

Also considering a uDAC? Will it improve my HD 570's noticeably out of an imac?

Cheers

Julian
L3000.gif

While I haven't heard the HD570 in a long time, if you like the house Sennheiser Sound with laid back treble, midrange and somewhat "slow" bass, the HD448 won't be quite what you are looking for, as the HD448 is more detailed in the mids and highs, more forward in the midrange, and quicker, but leaner in the bass than my HD580 with HD600 rear grilles with the Stock HD650 cable. However, if you want a great sounding upgrade without needing to upgrade cables, etc., then the HD448 may be a good option for you, depending on the sonic attributes you are looking for. If you are referring to the HeadRoom Micro DAC, it is a very nice unit that would provide a nice upgrade over the soundcard in an iMac. A friend of mine has the older battery powered version, and it sounds wonderful.

--Eric

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #52 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by darthmaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys,

Is it possible to remove the "earpads" on the 438 for washing?

Thanks...

Yes, it does require a firm tug to remove the earpads and a bit of patience and care putting them back on, but they are removable and the velour pads of the HD438 are interchangeable with the pleather pads of the HD428/448. I have a pair of velour earpads coming to me in a week or so for my HD448, as I'm not liking the comfort level of the pleather earpads. The earpads of the HD448 are a weak point of the design, but I have a feeling that if they made the earpads nicer, they would have charged more for the headphones, or sacrificed build or sound quality (I have no problem, forking over the $10 for new earpads to keep the build and sound quality intact IMO).

--Eric

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #53 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by violeta88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it does require a firm tug to remove the earpads and a bit of patience and care putting them back on, but they are removable and the velour pads of the HD438 are interchangeable with the pleather pads of the HD428/448. I have a pair of velour earpads coming to me in a week or so for my HD448, as I'm not liking the comfort level of the pleather earpads. The earpads of the HD448 are a weak point of the design, but I have a feeling that if they made the earpads nicer, they would have charged more for the headphones, or sacrificed build or sound quality (I have no problem, forking over the $10 for new earpads to keep the build and sound quality intact IMO).

--Eric

Thanks Eric! the reason that I'm asking is that I might be buying a pair of used 438. Hygiene :p

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #54 of 203
Thanks for the reply Eric, much appreciated!
regular_smile .gif

The DAC I was referring to is in fact the Nuforce uDAC, a little item that has just been released for around $100 US.

Anyway, still deciding...

cheers,

Julian

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #56 of 203
I would be cautious about e-bay in general considering that Sennheiser does not honor warranties when their products are purchased through non-authorized dealers, and many dealers on e-bay are not authorized.

--Eric

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #57 of 203
Jan 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #58 of 203
hey,
Right after i got the hd448 i was kinda disappointed. I have to mention that i got them as an upgrade from hd202 and with the right EQ setting(for hd202) the hd448(with no EQ) sounded different but not better.
Now, after 50 hours or so, they sound brilliantly
smily_headphones1.gif
, even better then what i was expecting.
I know i'm offtopic, sort of. I write this post asking for some instructions of how to remove the earpads. They are made from the same material as the ones from hd202, which is very bad. The old ones wear off very fast and i will try to cover it with leather but, i cant remove the earpads from the hd448.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #60 of 203
To remove the earpads you have to reach under the side of the earpad and give it a tug inwards. Be careful not to crack the plastic ring that holds the earpads in. The HD438 velour earpads fit the HD448, you'll have to call Sennheiser to order them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back