New Sennheiser HD 448.
Mar 12, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #92 of 203
The Senns are very comfy too, no clamping at all, soft pads and headband padding, you can wear them for hours at a time with no problem. I'd imagine in the summer they would get a bit hot, as all closed headphones do, but nothing unbearable. They've been great this winter, keeping my ears warm
atsmile.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #93 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Senns are very comfy too, no clamping at all, soft pads and headband padding, you can wear them for hours at a time with no problem. I'd imagine in the summer they would get a bit hot, as all closed headphones do, but nothing unbearable. They've been great this winter, keeping my ears warm
atsmile.gif

Thanks, i will get mine.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #94 of 203
After six months I went ahead and threw my warranty out the window: I present to you the guts of the HD448. I'm not really sure what can or should be modded, so I turn to the more experienced head-fiers out there.

I'm thinking that some additional fabric lining/wool/padding behind the little driver enclosure would enhance isolation a bit, I guess I'll try that.
Also, taking a cue from the PC350 modding thread, which seem to have a similar makeup, how would a hole or two in the housing influence bass?

I've got some research to do for now, will post more pictures/details if anyone asks.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #95 of 203
Quote:

After six months I went ahead and threw my warranty out the window: I present to you the guts of the HD448. I'm not really sure what can or should be modded, so I turn to the more experienced head-fiers out there.

I'm thinking that some additional fabric lining/wool/padding behind the little driver enclosure would enhance isolation a bit, I guess I'll try that.
Also, taking a cue from the PC350 modding thread, which seem to have a similar makeup, how would a hole or two in the housing influence bass?

I've got some research to do for now, will post more pictures/details if anyone asks.

On the top portion of the rear of the internal driver enclosure is a piece of what looks like tape mesh. If you remove that, it significantly increases bass output. However, if you are using the stock pleather earpads the bass can be really boomy with this removed. However, replacing the Pleather earpads with the HD418/438 velour earpads alleviates this, revealing significantly improved power handling and bass depth, with less of the plasticky nature of the HD448 remaining.

EDIT: Additionally, putting some dynamat or other similar damping material in the surrounding chamber behind the driver enclosure should allieviate any resulting resonances and improve bass control. I don't have dynamat on hand to try this however.

--Eric

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #96 of 203
Thanks for pointing that out, Eric. I'm experimenting with those holes right now, hadn't really noticed that before, I was kind of nervous so I put them back together to listen for any signs of destroyed headphones.
I can't really swap the earpads, they're not available here in Romania.
I'll report my findings later.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #97 of 203
Quote:

Thanks for pointing that out, Eric. I'm experimenting with those holes right now, hadn't really noticed that before, I was kind of nervous so I put them back together to listen for any signs of destroyed headphones.
I can't really swap the earpads, they're not available here in Romania.
I'll report my findings later.

You may want to experiment with covering the holes with different fabrics, as they seem like they are crucial to controlling the bass. I tried a suede-like microfiber cloth material and taped the fabric to the enclosure, making sure not to cover the holes, and it seems to control the bass better while at the same time providing a slightly bassier tonality with the stock pleather earpads. other fabrics would probably affect the tonality and bass control, so it is best to experiment with different fabrics.

--Eric

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #98 of 203
ATM, I've just sealed the outer holes with some tape and left the middle one open, with no damping added, and I must say the results are pleasing to my ears. Never thought I was a basshead but it seems I did miss bass in these cans. Further experimentation will have to wait until tomorrow, it's 3 am over here.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #99 of 203
Quote:

ATM, I've just sealed the outer holes with some tape and left the middle one open, with no damping added, and I must say the results are pleasing to my ears. Never thought I was a basshead but it seems I did miss bass in these cans. Further experimentation will have to wait until tomorrow, it's 3 am over here.

I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: That seems to be the best mod so far that I have tried. The bass is more controlled, but fuller at the same time. The power handling limitations still are there, but I don't think anything will fix that.

--Eric

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #100 of 203
I did another quick change, leaving one hole (towards the front) open, one covered with the original mesh (middle) and one sealed with tape, and I do believe the sound is just perfect for me: the bass has improved, but it's balanced nicely by the mids and highs, which remained pretty much the same. Also I noticed a dramatic headstage improvement with this setup and better instrument separation. It's like they've become closed and more refined HD238s. I'll leave them like this for now, because I really love it like this.

edit: Listening to some orchestral music right now, I'm really amazed with the soundstage.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #101 of 203
Can you explain, step by step, how you did this mod?

I feel the same way about bass. I didn't realize how much I enjoy it, perhaps because I have bad memories of a boomy pair of cheap headphones. I recently started boosting the bass on my 448s simply by using my iTunes EQ and applying the classical or rock settings, depending on what I'm listening to. The difference is clear, and the extra boost on both ends of the spectrum makes me happy. Some classical has big percussion moments, for example, or deep cello/bass-driven sounds. It comes out more in the EQ on.

Try Strauss's Heldenleben, for example. It's much better with the boosted bass provided by the EQ.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #102 of 203
Gladly.

First you take off the earpads: grab by one edge and pull, gently but firmly, up and towards the center of the pad. It should come out, eventually
smily_headphones1.gif

Second: Take a philips screwdriver and poke around the foam until you find the screw holes. See picture in one of my above posts for the exact location of the screws. Press down through the thin layer of foam until you get a grip on the screws and carefully take them out, without ripping too much foam off. I don't think it has any effect on the SQ, but I'd rather not maim my cans too much. Now that you've got the screws off, lift the driver housing gently, taking care not to rip the wires out. Shouldn't be a problem, actually.

Third: On the driver housing there is a mesh tape in the rectangle, with 3 small port holes underneath. Remove it carefully, turn 90 degrees and place it with a mesh part over the middle hole, so as not to obstruct the hole. The goal is to turn 3 covered holes into 1.
Leave the hole that's towards the "front" of the can uncovered and take a small square of adhesive tape (I used electrical insulation tape), placing it on the 3rd hole, the one towards the back. Press firmly on everything. Put everything back together and see if it works for you.

Hopefully I'm still coherent at this hour. If not, I'll put up a video tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy and share your opinions, please.

DCofficehack, I think you'll appreciate this mod for the improvement in soundstage.
I'm listening to Holsts' Planets and going wow a lot.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #103 of 203
Quote:

I did another quick change, leaving one hole (towards the front) open, one covered with the original mesh (middle) and one sealed with tape, and I do believe the sound is just perfect for me: the bass has improved, but it's balanced nicely by the mids and highs, which remained pretty much the same. Also I noticed a dramatic headstage improvement with this setup and better instrument separation. It's like they've become closed and more refined HD238s. I'll leave them like this for now, because I really love it like this.

edit: Listening to some orchestral music right now, I'm really amazed with the soundstage.

I tried it and they sound very nice now. Good job!!

--Eric

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #105 of 203
I looked at your pics and can't figure out which holes you're talking about. If you do have time for a video, I'd be very grateful.

Take apart my cans? Gulp. I guess that would make me a true head-fi-er.

ZMD, get your hands on Strauss's Heldenleben. It's lush, dramatic, full of powerful horns and percussion. A very good test for a head-phone's abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back