New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Aug 26, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #8,705 of 9,484
Ye why on earth would you want to use digital volume? its completely defeating bit perfect and hence decreases quality

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #8,706 of 9,484
because digital volume tracks accurately between channels? can be "perfectly linear",  no actually audible bits are "lost", "reduced below the system noise floor" doesn't care whether it happens due to digital or analog attenuation?

with the yggy's >120 dB range a rational gain structure system will have the yggys' lsb in the human hearing in quiet SPL threshold - that's after minutes of accommodation in total silence - anechoic chamber levels of environmental isolation

the actual "working" threshold when listening to music at very reasonable levels is much higher, as is the background noise on recordings from real studios and with studio microphones and electronics - audible noise is much worse if the source was ever on tape

heck even wearing headphones at all increases audible noise threshold by ~10 dB due to noise from "sea shell" resonance, muscle tremor, breathing, pulse, cable mechanical microphonics

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #8,707 of 9,484
You cant make an omlette without breaking an egg...

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #8,708 of 9,484
  because digital volume tracks accurately between channels? can be "perfectly linear",  no actually audible bits are "lost", "reduced below the system noise floor" doesn't care whether it happens due to digital or analog attenuation?

with the yggy's >120 dB range a rational gain structure system will have the yggys' lsb in the human hearing in quiet SPL threshold - that's after minutes of accommodation in total silence - anechoic chamber levels of environmental isolation

the actual "working" threshold when listening to music at very reasonable levels is much higher, as is the background noise on recordings from real studios and with studio microphones and electronics - audible noise is much worse if the source was ever on tape

heck even wearing headphones at all increases audible noise threshold by ~10 dB due to noise from "sea shell" resonance, muscle tremor, breathing, pulse, cable mechanical microphonics

I had a audioprocessor go haywire at work once  (it did like Crossover and delays and such things for the PA setup in a theater)

it made a horrible noise at 100% output luckily we didn't run the amps 100% volume. only cutting power made it stop.

if you realy want to stop innaccuracy between channels you would need to run it at 100% if any glitch would happen in your system like the one i Described you would probably fry your speakers or your ears.

personally i would always want a physical limit to max volume.
would maxing the sound not also make the noisefloor more audible?

Your other point i can neither confirm or deny havent realy looked into that subject.

it would however makes sense to feed a bitperfect dac a bitperfect signal. but maybe that just me.

Anyway iggy arrived today and is playing its first songs.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #8,709 of 9,484
You cant make an omlette without breaking an egg...

well technically you can. just make small 2 small holes one on  top andone on the  bottom of the egg and blow out the contents.
its how we used to make painted eggs in kindergarten :p

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #8,710 of 9,484
I think there's a difference between sending the data to the DAC at 100% volume, vs running an amplifier at 100% volume... unsure how it could be detrimental to send the bits perfectly to the DAC, which AFAIK means leaving the volume at 100%. Pretty sure this is why the Mac is acting this way. It's fairly standard of DACs, to ensure the bits aren't altered by the player/OS.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #8,711 of 9,484
Digital volume control on the OS level has to remain at 100%, end of story. Software players like Foobar2000 have a very high quality digital volume control (64 bit float internal processing), so it may be used without any perceived quality degradation as long as the output to DAC is set to 24 or 32 bit (if no easy access to the analog control is available or you're just lazy). But yeah, it still kinda defeats the whole point of Yggdrasil.

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #8,712 of 9,484
It has probably discussed before.
Does anyone tried LS50 and Sierra-2s with Rag?
I've seen comments about LS50s and Rag but not Sierra-2s
Just trying to figure out which one would fit me better since both of them are currently on Massdrop.
As for a reference I like HD800 with Rag little better than LCD3 most of time.
Thanks guys

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #8,713 of 9,484

well technically you can. just make small 2 small holes one on  top andone on the  bottom of the egg and blow out the contents.
its how we used to make painted eggs in kindergarten :p

This is true 
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #8,715 of 9,484
  Ok. September has come, the new Yggdrasil little brother is out, and I'm wondering when those who ordered the bigger one on the first half of July, shall receive it.

Any news? 
confused.gif

We are completely caught up on the 230v side.  We are currently shipping orders that were placed on 24 August on the 115v side.  We are going back in to backorder on the Yggdrasil due to metal shortage.  I will be able to ship orders place on or prior to 1 September.  If you have been skipped over for some reason, please email orders@schiit.com.  If your order was more than 30 days old when we attempted to fill it, we would have attempted to contact you to arrange payment because your payment authorization would have expired.  If we were provided with an incorrect email address, you weren't checking that address, or if our email got scooped us as spam then we would have cancelled your order when we did not receive a response to our payment request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back