New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Aug 23, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #8,671 of 9,484
Like I've said before, the most important component in any audio system is the listener's brain.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #8,675 of 9,484
  I have a Gungnir MB coming on Wednesday and I have already started to burn in my brain.  They say it takes at least 200 hours.  Maybe the pebbles would make it quicker.

Excellent! That is forward thinking. I do think the burn in will be quicker.
Also if there are noise issues put one in each ear-I guarantee you will hear less noise.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #8,676 of 9,484
  I have a Gungnir MB coming on Wednesday and I have already started to burn in my brain.  They say it takes at least 200 hours.  Maybe the pebbles would make it quicker.

I'm really interested in hearing impressions of the upgrade. Even if you skip the Brilliant Pebbles. :)

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #8,678 of 9,484
  I will indeed report on how it sounds (too me).

I was afraid someone was going to tell me to put the pebbles somewhere else....

Thanks! Everyone's experience is different. I would recommend Metamucil for improvement in the OTHER location. :)
I am still struggling with the idea that all good Dac's should have minimal effect on the sound-compared to other components and wondering if I would hear improvements with the Yggy and how much is expectation bias rather than actual difference. Still, I am sooo tempted.
Now we have upgraded Gungnir and Mjolnir with Tube option-or LISST- a few months after I bought my Ragnarok. :)

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #8,679 of 9,484
Aug 23, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #8,680 of 9,484
  [snip]
I am still struggling with the idea that all good Dac's should have minimal effect on the sound-compared to other components and wondering if I would hear improvements with the Yggy and how much is expectation bias rather than actual difference. Still, I am sooo tempted.
Now we have upgraded Gungnir and Mjolnir with Tube option-or LISST- a few months after I bought my Ragnarok. :)

I'm kind of in the minimal effect if well-designed and well-built.  There are, however, audible differences, I know not why.  Baldr's Thetas and Angstroms were different and to my ear better.

My expectation bias is that Gungnir MB will sound very good and since I don't have an Yggy I will not notice any difference.  The same chip family and architecture, the same designer, the same megaburrito, etc.  At worst expect a mini-Yggy.  I have already decided to ignore Yggy owners evaluations of Gungnir.  Cancel that last, I'll just judge for myself when it arrives and after I have completed my brain burn-in.

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #8,681 of 9,484
I've owned 4 DACS, and I'm being completely honest when I write that I instantly noticed a huge difference right from the first song. Sure, the other dacs there were differences, but the Yggy immediately made me grin.

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #8,682 of 9,484
  the problem with correlating of our ability to recognize different voices with our ability to recognize frequency response changes (sound signature) is easy to see.

When playing an audio track of any singer, we will still recognize that singer's voice regardless of the speaker, headphones, dac, or amplifier being used. Speakers & headphones can measure to have variability in frequency response (sound signature), but we will still recognize the singer's voice to belong to the same person. We still recognize the singer even after applying pretty generous EQ adjustments. That shows that our recognition of voices have quite a large tolerance for errors and frequency response deviations, and we will identify a specific voice despite sound signature differences. Our brain's recognition of voices will accept variation much wider than 'sound signature' changes of equipment that are being discussed. Sonic differences in voices would be at a much larger scale than sound signature differences of audio gear.

If you play back an extremely low bitrate lossy file of that singer or listening to the radio, we still recognize the artist. This shows that the our brain's standard for vocal recognition does not depend on the fidelity of audio reproduction and our brain uses much lower standards for specific voice recognition than the standards used for judging audio fidelity. Using the example of our ability to recognize voices is actually not an impressive example of the precision of our hearing, but rather shows our brain accepts a sizeable range of deviations and errors when identifying specific sounds.

regarding what contributes to 'sonic differences' between external components, there are really four parameters: frequency response, noise, distortion, and time-based errors. There measured parameter must also be higher than the lower limit of our hearing as measurement equipment can detect differences beyond the capabilities of the human ear. This link HERE may be helpful for people looking for further understanding.

edit: this is getting quite off-topic, so PM me if wanting to continue to discuss. hopefully, this would be an easier-to-understand explanation for those who did not understand my previous post.

You are ones again changing subject. Ones and for all I used the human voice as an example of our audio memory, and not audio quality. Is that so hard to understand? Some said that the audio memory is only 4 seconds and making it impossible to remember the sound after the 200 hours of burn in. I then explained (or at least tried to explain) the difference between memorizing to repeat a sequence of tones (short time memory) and to remember voices and sound signatures (long time memory).

FYI the sound signature is the distinguishing characteristic of the sound. Lock up the word signature for better understanding.

You can PM me the frequency response curve variations for the DACs and AMPs you said correlating to the sound signatures in post #8668. I expect you to have them already otherwise you would not have been able to say in which FR they were emphasis, would you? For the record the FR are only showing the quantity in a given frequency and says nothing about the quality, IMO.  

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #8,683 of 9,484
I've owned 4 DACS, and I'm being completely honest when I write that I instantly noticed a huge difference right from the first song. Sure, the other dacs there were differences, but the Yggy immediately made me grin.

And that's why you pay the big $$$$. :atsmile:

JJ

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #8,684 of 9,484
Originally Posted by Exidrion 

Dear Exidrion:

Well, if you did not burn your "Yggy" in for roughly 5 to 7 days, and instantly noticed "a huge difference right from the first song", then you will be in for a genuine treat after it burns it...

My experience with "Yggy" was that for the first 5 to 7 days, if not a few more, my "Yggy" sounded overly bright, etched/harsh, and hyper-detailed...to the extent that I was beginning to feel buyer's remorse, as well as beginning to research more "reserved" interconnects and speaker wire..., (and prior to the replacement of my Bifrost with the "Yggy", my system was already a touch warm in the lower mid-range),...and then, I experienced, "The Change"...  :)  ...and everything opened up and smoothed out...

Has Schiit Audio figured out a way to reduce the initial burn-in, and/or temperature stabilization time in these latest production runs? 

Peace/Namaste

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #8,685 of 9,484
I've had it since May :). I agree with the consensus that after about a week it gets a lot better. I just wanted to say that it was immediately noticeably better than the others when I first played it through my speakers, for other people on the fence.

JJ was right though, this is my first DAC over 1500~ so I guess it's expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back