New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Aug 8, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #8,536 of 9,484
8ms is time before heat no longer contained?
smily_headphones1.gif

No, not really.

If you look at the chart for the fuse type used in The Rok, a Littelfuse type 239 fuse…
http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/electronics_technical/time_curve/fuses/littelfuse_fuse_239_time_curve.pdf

…you'll see that at 8mS, a 4 or 5 amp rated fuse will pass 2-220 amps and its I^2t rating runs from 270 to 302 amps.

The reason they choose 8mS is because that is 1/2 of a 60 cycle waveform, in terms of time.
Which means they are rating the fuses to know how much maximum current will pass during either the positive or the negative portion of the AC power being fed to the equipment the fuse is meant to protect.

And it is relevant to know that of that 8mS time duration, our audio equipment will only pass current for ≈ 2mS ± (mostly minus)

And the amount of current that will pass thru those 4 or 5 amp rated fuses for that 2mS time window, goes up to ≈ 400 amps, which equates to 48Kwatts.

This all points to an interesting way of looking at the power being fed to our audio system components and how we can optimize it and obtain improved SQ as a result.

JJ

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #8,537 of 9,484

Yeah, nothing in the power line including power cables make a difference on sound quality. Here's why (they are not in the signal chain):

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/power-cables

Are you saying that all the components that’s not in the audio signal chain (capacitors, transformers, cabinet etc.) doesn’t have an impact on the sound quality of the gear?

A good power cord are not only transmitting the AC, its filtering it from electromagnetic pollutions and High frequency noise. The distortion on the power grids is often many magnitude higher than a DAC or AMP.  A 1-3 % THD is not unusual in a typical home. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #8,538 of 9,484
Aug 8, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #8,539 of 9,484

A good power cord are not only transmitting the AC, its filtering it from electromagnetic pollutions and High frequency noise. The distortion on the power grids is often many magnitude higher than a DAC or AMP.  A 1-3 % THD is not unusual in a typical home. 

Nope, that's what the power supply does, not the cable. The one and only way a power cable could cause any audio issue is if the gauge is not sufficient thereby causing too much resistance. As long as the gauge of the power cord is sufficient to supply the rated power to the power supply, and the power supply is doing its job and not faulty, changing power cables will do nothing for the sound quality at all. And, if you have a bad or noisy power supply, changing the power cable will also not help anything.

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #8,540 of 9,484
Yeah, nothing in the power line including power cables make a difference on sound quality. Here's why (they are not in the signal chain):

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/power-cables

Is the psu of a device (source, pre-amp, power-amp) in the signal path?

The problem here is that this is a *edit* decent but still not full view.
Whats going on here is even more.
Electricity is alive, fast(at speed of electrons) , and actually more happening, such as mentioned interation of components or stages.
Power supplies arent near as perfect as they should be, mainly because of costs and/or age and parts quality and temp tolerances in which components performance varies. .

So we need take into consideration the "micro dynamics" that is going on , which is aluded to in next post..
So focusing on power cable alone is missing the point.
Read again:

8ms is time before heat no longer contained?
:)

No, not really.

If you look at the chart for the fuse type used in The Rok, a Littelfuse type 239 fuse…
http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/electronics_technical/time_curve/fuses/littelfuse_fuse_239_time_curve.pdf

…you'll see that at 8mS, a 4 or 5 amp rated fuse will pass 2-220 amps and its I^2t rating runs from 270 to 302 amps.

The reason they choose 8mS is because that is 1/2 of a 60 cycle waveform, in terms of time.
Which means they are rating the fuses to know how much maximum current will pass during either the positive or the negative portion of the AC power being fed to the equipment the fuse is meant to protect.

And it is relevant to know that of that 8mS time duration, our audio equipment will only pass current for ≈ 2mS ± (mostly minus)

And the amount of current that will pass thru those 4 or 5 amp rated fuses for that 2mS time window, goes up to ≈ 400 amps, which equates to 48Kwatts.

This all points to an interesting way of looking at the power being fed to our audio system components and how we can optimize it and obtain improved SQ as a result.

JJ

Aha!
So you see from this post,
That in real life, whats actually going on is more complex.
This can account for why we hear differences when an item (such as a power cord) is changed...

Granted, that article would be correct, to a certain extent, in a perfect world...

Power supplies in real world are not only imperfect, they can also be a cause of noise, distortion or performance limitations of your equipment.

Thats why I upgraded my power supply in my amp with 3X more Electrolytic value and swapped out the cheap 15cent bridge rectifier(common type) for a better Bridge Rectifier for my amp Power tube section. .

A IXYS FRED Rectifier Bridge FBE22-06N1 ( High performance 600v/22amp rectifier bridge with fast recovery diodes.
Features:
Planar passivated chips
Very low leakage current
Very short recovery time
Improved thermal behavior
Very low LRM values
Very soft recovery behavior
Avalanche voltage rated for reliable operation
Soft reverse recovery for low EMI/RFI ...

So you see,(from the bold print) there is ALOT going on, inside your gear!!
:p

Edit:
I read the whole article, and it was actually quite good as a start.

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #8,541 of 9,484
"Electricity is alive, fast(at speed of electrons),..."

Actually, the electrons are drifting rather slowly. Less than 1mm/s in the case of DC is quite typical. Of course the signal itself is transmitted with nearly the speed of light because the impulse from one electron to another is so fast.

I just wanted to clarify that fact because there seems to be a lot of confusion about that. (Your other statements are not influenced by that.)

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #8,542 of 9,484
No, not really.

JJ

Every once and a while there is a peanut to be found in this pile of Schiit thread. :D

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #8,543 of 9,484
Nope, that's what the power supply does, not the cable. The one and only way a power cable could cause any audio issue is if the gauge is not sufficient thereby causing too much resistance. As long as the gauge of the power cord is sufficient to supply the rated power to the power supply, and the power supply is doing its job and not faulty, changing power cables will do nothing for the sound quality at all. And, if you have a bad or noisy power supply, changing the power cable will also not help anything.

And even if the power cable gauge is too small it should never affect the SQ of the amp.  It will only heat up the cable as the power supply will draw whatever current it needs.  The cable will either be able to supply it or it will fail.  The voltage may droop, causing peak power to possibly be affected, but the signal quality on the output side remains unaffected.

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #8,544 of 9,484
"Electricity is alive, fast(at speed of electrons),..."

Actually, the electrons are drifting rather slowly. Less than 1mm/s in the case of DC is quite typical. Of course the signal itself is transmitted with nearly the speed of light because the impulse from one electron to another is so fast.

I just wanted to clarify that fact because there seems to be a lot of confusion about that. (Your other statements are not influenced by that.)

Precisely.  Electrons do not "flow."  Energy "flows."

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #8,545 of 9,484
I read up on the WA Quantum Chips they placed on the caps. It says they do NOT interact electrically. That leaves magic. By the rules of Sympathetic Magic, downloading the brochure should improve my computer sound. I can't take credit for that btw!
I see they sell Quantum chips for use with acoustic instruments! I can't wait!

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #8,546 of 9,484
I read up on the WA Quantum Chips they placed on the caps. It says they do NOT interact electrically. That leaves magic. By the rules of Sympathetic Magic, downloading the brochure should improve my computer sound. I can't take credit for that btw!
I see they sell Quantum chips for use with acoustic instruments! I can't wait!

Simply by posting about them here you improved the sound of your system by 17.6%!

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #8,547 of 9,484
Has anyone heard about vibration intererence in a capacitor?

I can't remember exactly but I remember it being stated in a cap manufacturer literature..

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #8,548 of 9,484
Simply by posting about them here you improved the sound of your system by 17.6%!

Oh damn! I posted from my phone not my computer- maybe I should delete and repost from my computer? I get confused about how Additive and Subtractive Magic affect Sympathetic Magic. I think I can still get an 8.8% improvement. The makers of the WA Quantum Chips should probably charge for downloading their brochure- I really respect them for giving away this benefit!

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #8,549 of 9,484
Has anyone heard about vibration intererence in a capacitor?

I can't remember exactly but I remember it being stated in a cap manufacturer literature..

It could possibly cause a bad solder failure if the vibration is severe. Like in a car on a deeply rutted road.

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #8,550 of 9,484

And even if the power cable gauge is too small it should never affect the SQ of the amp...

*snip*

Yes, "should" being the keyword.
If power supply is well designed it should not be affected by a certain range of valiables presented to it..

I say a certain range to take into account all other variables less optimal.
Thats one reason the market for power conditioners and UPS came in .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back