New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Aug 8, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #8,551 of 9,484
Yes, "should" being the keyword.
If power supply is well designed it should not be affected by a certain range of valiables presented to it..

I say a certain range to take into account all other variables less optimal.
:)
Thats one reason the market for power conditioners and UPS came in .

UPS and Power Conditioners! Where is the fun in that?

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #8,552 of 9,484
Yes, "should" being the keyword.
If power supply is well designed it should not be affected by a certain range of valiables presented to it..

I say a certain range to take into account all other variables less optimal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats one reason the market for power conditioners and UPS came in .

ANY modern equipment power supply will not be affected by the normal variables presented by a home user.  Period.  Anyone thinking adding a different power cord or fuse to the system will help in any audible way is deluding themselves.  Period.  But hey, if that's what makes a person happy then I say they should do whatever they like to do and be happy.

The issues that can be solved by a UPS or power conditioner cannot be solved byt any power cord or fuse improvements and have nothing to do with the normal variables present in a home.  They deal with abnormal issues such as out of tolerance voltage variations or short term power outages or in some cases DC offset on ground/neutral line due to the way a house is wired or other loads on the line.  Apples and oranges.

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #8,553 of 9,484

ANY modern equipment power supply will not be affected by the normal variables presented by a home user.  Period.  Anyone thinking adding a different power cord or fuse to the system will help in any audible way is deluding themselves.  Period.  But hey, if that's what makes a person happy then I say they should do whatever they like to do and be happy.

snip

My 2¢

Ya know…

I have learned that absolutist statements usually don't withstand the test of time.

And it is quite apparent that for you these statements are absolutely true and hold true to the extent that you are willing to dismiss any and all other experinces and opinions.

And that certainly is your prerogative.

And perhaps you will come to experience that other's experiences are equally as valid and true for those who have them (think quantum mechanics).

But there are also the consequences in holding fast to seemingly 'inviolate' truths, without investigation along with the requisite curiosity sufficient to experience, for yourself, the validity (or lack of same) of these very same truths.

I have in my system and in other systems as well, demonstrated and shown that in certain conditions where fuses and power cables etc. DO make a noticeable change, and in most cases for the 'better'.
This has motivated me to continue my research into what other factors are involved.  

This is an ongoing research project that has yielded much additional insight into why and what is going on and helps to explain, at least for me, why I hear changes, where according to the 'standard understanding' these sorts of things simply can't happen.
Only they do and not just for me but others as well.

Which leads me to why I am writing this post in the first place.

And it isn't meant to denigrate nor demean your opinion, not in ths slightest.
But when I run across opinions that run counter to my experiences garrnered over decades which are being stated as absolute truth, well my ususal response is to just ignore them and log the obvious observation that they simply don't have the direct experience, for whatever reason.

And much like my recent post about the inability at proving a negative, a lack of experiencing something does not make for a true proposition.

And I do value some of your perspectives on audio which are based upon your experiences.
But in the past, my reaction to these sorts of statements is to just shake my head and move on.
But this time I thought I'd provide some feedback, for what it's worth, which for you might be way less than 2¢.
So feel free to dismiss and relegate my opinion to the trash heap since my experience doesn't agree with yours.

And the old addage of confirmation bias simply doesn't withstand scrutiny, since the only measure we have for determining if the SQ does in fact change (or not) is thru our individual subjective experience.
Because that is all we have, when it comes down to it.
Is it better?
Is there no change, or is it worse?
We each make that determination for ourselves, based upon our direct personal experiences.

My hope is that some day you will hear a difference which just might trigger your curiosity enough to investigate further, much like what I am doing.

And lastly there is this quote from long ago which seems to apply here.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance.
This principle is, contempt prior to examination."
William Paley 1785

JJ

Aug 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #8,554 of 9,484
No argument from me... like I said if it makes you happy then go for it.  But from an engineering perspective, it's a pointless exercise in bias reinforcement. 
L3000.gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #8,555 of 9,484
No argument from me... like I said if it makes you happy then go for it.  But from an engineering perspective, it's a pointless exercise in bias reinforcement.  :L3000:

I agree with the "if it makes you happy go for it" but the whole concept of Magical Chips tickles my funny bone- in the same way Brilliant Pebbles do. Most of the other mods have some effect on the electrical circuits and although I can't see how they affect sound in any way- at least they have SOME effect. The plastic chips taped to circuit components, Speakers, wires, Pianos, Guitars are Magical. So the humor is that improving the computer sound by downloading the brochure works in the same way the chips do.
I'm done but I hope you see my point. If it enhances YOUR enjoyment- then they work for you.

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #8,556 of 9,484
Thats fine.
My point also was apples & oranges.

I mainly concerned myself on power supply output performance capabilities and limitations, not the AC in.
Right now I have stock power cables as it does not concern me.

But it is also intruiging to learn what is going on with those fuse makers, and these other sciences that deal with similar things.

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #8,558 of 9,484
Away from here for 24 hours and I see it's turned into the semiannual cable digression. Please wake me when it's over and we can talk Schiit.

True. Maybe someone needs a Power Cord, Fuse, and Magic Chips thread to continue since it seems to interest people?

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #8,559 of 9,484
Hey, schiit has some nice cables too!

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #8,561 of 9,484
last questions- will any plastic chip do the trick? I see they sell specific chips for Fuses, cables, speakers, and acoustic instruments. Since the musical instruments generate sound by using a wooden chamber to amplify the vibrations of the strings, and the wood used affects the overtones do they make different chips for Classical, Electric and Steel String? Will placing a WA Quantum chip on an acoustic guitar give it an Electric guitar sound?

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #8,562 of 9,484
Since the information concerning these chips is so scant and lacking in detail I doubt anyone really knows for sure.
Well, except for those who have tried using chips for uses other than their 'intended' end use.

But they do mention that the 'programming' of the various chips is different based upon their intended end use.

IOW try it and find out, and let us know.

JJ

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #8,563 of 9,484
I would be thrilled, and my wallet would be ecstatic, if cables and the like really didn't make a difference. Logically, they certainly shouldn't. But logic is not reality. Logic is a creation of the human mind, which seeks to understand, organize and predict reality. And used correctly, logic is a powerful and useful tool which can be very helpful in doing so.

But how many things happen that logically should not? Even in spheres like engineering which should be cut and dried. So I don't dismiss tweaks and gizmos, until I have done the experiment.

That said, when I read the word "quantum" in a product description or name, my BS Alarm goes off...

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #8,564 of 9,484
How about we take this personal conversation where it belongs, to PM's.

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #8,565 of 9,484

The issues that can be solved by a UPS or power conditioner cannot be solved byt any power cord or fuse improvements and have nothing to do with the normal variables present in a home.  They deal with abnormal issues such as out of tolerance voltage variations or short term power outages or in some cases DC offset on ground/neutral line due to the way a house is wired or other loads on the line.  Apples and oranges.

+1

But that's not going to win any arguments here.  We have entered the realm of relativistic quantum inversion where the experience of one's own ears cancels expectation bias.  You'll never reach real audio Nervana by being rational. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back