New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Aug 9, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #8,581 of 9,484

You are listening to power itself when you listen to any electrically amplified sound.

Nope. The only time you are listening to power is if you hear a 50/60Hz buzzing.

And just where do you think the current flowing through those gain stages comes from?

Everything is important and nothing is more important than the power supply.  Regulators, capacitors, rectifiers, transformers...  All of it.
Any non-linearity in the power supply will cause non-linearity in the voltage amplification or current amplification stages.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #8,582 of 9,484
And just where do you think the current flowing through those gain stages comes from?

Everything is important and nothing is more important than the power supply.  Regulators, capacitors, rectifiers, transformers...  All of it.
Any non-linearity in the power supply will cause non-linearity in the voltage amplification or current amplification stages.

That's precisely the point of a power supply. Nothing before the power supply like power cables or fuses is going to change that.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #8,583 of 9,484
Sound science is invading the thread...run away run away...
deadhorse.gif

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #8,584 of 9,484

That's precisely the point of a power supply. Nothing before the power supply like power cables or fuses is going to change that.

Provided that the power supply receives the transient currents demanded by the fast recovery diodes.  To do so involves even the power cables and fuses.  Note that these transients must be transmitted in real time, otherwise the power supply voltage will droop.

Of course if your mind is already closed then there's no point in further discussion, is there.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #8,585 of 9,484
  Of course if your mind is already closed then there's no point in further discussion, is there.

You guys must be one of those antivaccination types. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #8,586 of 9,484
Sound science is invading the thread...run away run away...
deadhorse.gif

Like it's a bad thing... you know, little more science.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #8,587 of 9,484

Provided that the power supply receives the transient currents demanded by the fast recovery diodes.  To do so involves even the power cables and fuses.  Note that these transients must be transmitted in real time, otherwise the power supply voltage will droop.

The issue I see,
is that these critical time domain issues are more of an importance in amplifiers, (where everything is analog) than in low-level components that are not as power demanding, such as IC chips..

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #8,589 of 9,484

It's well known that Science disrupts Magical Effects and some Audiophile sound improvements rely on Magic (now called "Quantum". It's pretty evident that people can WILL their equipment to sound better using various Magical treatments-so why allow our Science to ruin that?

That said, I would LOVE to see an Amplifier operating completely via Magic rather than our mundane physics! 

Clarke's Three Laws are three "laws" of prediction formulated by the British science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke. They are:

• When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  • The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
  • Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #8,590 of 9,484

Science is on the side of Schiit and all the other manufacturers who would actually have something to gain by including some special power cables or fuses if they some how increased the sound quality of their products. Fortunately, they're smart enough to know the science behind why these items do nothing and so they include normal inexpensive (but within rated specs) power cables and fuses with all their products. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #8,591 of 9,484
So why every table at last meet I went to had "nice & fancy" power & xlr cables?
:p

When they saw my "plain" line level cable, they gave me an extra cable they had..
:wink:

Edit:
Dont have 2 answer I just talkn schiit humor...

We all want "nice" stuff , its only natural.

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #8,592 of 9,484
So why every table at last meet I went to had "nice & fancy" power & xlr cables?
:p

When they saw my "plain" line level cable, they gave me an extra cable they had..
:wink:

Because of the Magic I spoke of. The Audiophiles would have made the equipment sound bad by disapproval

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #8,594 of 9,484
  I've had mine since April.  It's playing right now.  By far the best sounding piece of audio equipment I have purchased in 20 years, out classing my Wavelength Crimson DAC that cost many times more.  I love it.

Wow, that's quite a statement!  Thank you for your impression.  That makes my waiting much more tolerable.  

Aug 10, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #8,595 of 9,484
  Does anyone use a upgraded PSU on their computer and would it make a difference in sonics used with the yggy or any dac?

I don't use an upgraded PSU on my desktop audio/gaming PC - just a reasonably low noise Corsair 860i PSU.
I do however use various power filtering devices throughout - SATA, PCIe, Fans.

Where I do use a separate (battery) PSU, is in powering the +5V USB of a JCAT USB card which also powers my OS SATA drive.
The JCAT Battery PSU paired with the PCIe USB card have been a significant improvement over stock USB directly from the motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back