New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Aug 7, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #8,507 of 9,484
The fuse is quite inexpensive so I wonder why the manufacturer not including this as stock if it really makes difference? Not starting a war but a genuine question.

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #8,509 of 9,484
The fuse is quite inexpensive so I wonder why the manufacturer not including this as stock if it really makes difference? Not starting a war but a genuine question.

Most fuses are just a strip of metal designed to melt away when overloaded. It's a protection in function and that's all (from a design standpoint) and an alternative to circuit breakers.
A fuse shouldn't make any difference speaking from the standpoint of (my) understanding of the science. That said, if expensive fuses make you happy go crazy. They might blow up eventually though, in which case you're out a lot more $ compared to cheaper fuses.

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #8,512 of 9,484
As for tweaking the Yggy:

I plan to change the fuse and add some EMI absorption material to the inner chassis at some point as I generally find there's some sonic improvement to be had doing these. 
The fuse to me is usually the biggest bang for the buck improvement and pretty much a day one mod for me. EMI/RF absorption material(s) affects different gear in different ways and is something that requires some time to play around with. Seems you can definitely add to much with some gear and never enough with others.

Sorry to interrupt your wet dream, but would you really pour ketchup on Kobe beef steak?

Jason has already seen a Yggy damaged from the misinformation that Ric at EVS has posted about balanced output to SE connection .

Mod at your own risk. And in doing so, the Yggy SQ will go south. Enjoy the ketchup.

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #8,513 of 9,484
Gotta love FedEx Int'l priority shipping...

FedEx picked up my Yggy from California last night (barely an hour after I had confirmed payment to Schiit), Flew it across to Indianapolis for sorting, and then onto Toronto, Canada. where it is now waiting to board a truck to be delivered to my work place (scheduled to arrive around noon).

That's some fast Schiit!!!

As for tweaking the Yggy:

I plan to change the fuse and add some EMI absorption material to the inner chassis at some point as I generally find there's some sonic improvement to be had doing these. 
The fuse to me is usually the biggest bang for the buck improvement and pretty much a day one mod for me. EMI/RF absorption material(s) affects different gear in different ways and is something that requires some time to play around with. Seems you can definitely add to much with some gear and never enough with others.

You say that as if you think that Baldr doesn't know how to engineer Schiits flagship product......

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #8,515 of 9,484
Question:  Are the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil stackable?

Also, feedback: it would be cool if Schiit did a combo deal on both units purchased together.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #8,516 of 9,484
Folk,  What I chose to do with the equipment I have purchased for myself is my business. If I damage it, then I take on that responsibility.
Simple as that....

BTW, I happen to like ketchup very much
tongue.gif

Oh, and if an "expensive" fuse can BLOW UP......  Couldn't a cheap one as well???

Seriously guys...... 

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #8,519 of 9,484
Oh, and if an "expensive" fuse can BLOW UP......  Couldn't a cheap one as well???

Seriously guys...... 

That's what they're designed to do in fact. Blow a fuse, save the device. It's why most folks use cheap fuses. I'm going to school for (among other things) studio recording, and we use cheap fuses because they're easy to fix when they blow. You probably don't have to deal with as much of that in a home setting. If you like expensive fuses, go crazy. I know some folks argue that the less expensive ones aren't as conductive along the fuse, but at that point it's kind of like saying we should use high quality OCC Litz over the conductive trace of PC boards. Would it make a difference? I dunno. More power to you if that's your thing. I was just trying to answer Lukeap69's question.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #8,520 of 9,484

Seriously guys...... 

That was his point. If your expensive fuse blows, you're out a lot more money than if you just have to replace the stock one with a regular fuse. As an electrician, I don't understand audiophile fuses, but I haven't tried them myself. Stock fuses are generally less than $5 from an electrical supplier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back