New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Aug 6, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #8,491 of 9,484
I am using balanced with Mjolnir. The balanced headphones I have all use dual 3 pin. The Mjolnir has choice of dual 3 pin or single 4 pin input. Ragnarok only has 4 pin input. I need an adaptor for my cable to fit the input it the Ragnarok balanced input.

I really suggest this:

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Draug-v2-Series-Adapter-occ-litz-multi-core-type-converter-4-cu-8-conductor-24-wire

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #8,492 of 9,484

Add me to the list of those who pre-ordered Ygg and did not get offered licorice, which I would have taken in a flash. OTOH, looking at Rag and Ygg, it seems the front/top pieces could be unscrewed without disturbing anything else, so perhaps Schiit will sell black cases to those of us who can DIY...

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #8,494 of 9,484

It's so glaring now, I have a dual tone stack. Yes, I would really want a black casing for Ragnarok! 

Maybe send it out if you're comfortable disassembling it.

http://www.acemetalfinishing.com/aluminum-anodizing-services.html

or maybe powder coat?

http://www.acemetalfinishing.com/powder-coating-services.html

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #8,495 of 9,484
Just got my Yggy shipping notification !! 
biggrin.gif

My order was placed late May, so hopefully the June orders won't be too far off.

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #8,499 of 9,484
  Just got my Yggy shipping notification !! 
biggrin.gif

My order was placed late May, so hopefully the June orders won't be too far off.

Same here - I ordered May 30th.  Shipped!

Woohoo! I ordered mine last Friday and it shipped yesterday! Woohoo!

dang, I got my hopes up since i ordered on shiit-europe the 5th of may but after asking they say they expect stock end of august-beginning of september.

no love for europe i guess

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #8,503 of 9,484

According to this guy, "Naked is good!!!!!!"
http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Schiit_mod.html

Shocking!
eek.gif

#3 can kill someone.

3.  Remove all the chassis.  There are two chassis and you need to remove them all for best sound.  Naked is good!!!!!!  Just take the aluminum cover off then remove the entire steel under cover.  The circuit boards will still be mounted on a piece of alluminum...this is all you need.  Way, way better sound when run naked.

I smell alot of BS from #3. This kills off any hopes of the chassis blocking off EM/RF Interferences from your mobile phone/dect phones/bluetooth/wireless lan. Is he serious?

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #8,504 of 9,484

I smell alot of BS from #3. This kills off any hopes of the chassis blocking off EM/RF Interferences from your mobile phone/dect phones/bluetooth/wireless lan. Is he serious?

This is firmly based in DIY territory.
Some are willing and able to explore what changes do or don't make differences to the performance of their DAC, amp, what ever…

I have found that some tweaks can make impressive changes.

It’s the curiosity to find out, along with the willingness to take a calculated risk.
These 2 factors, curiosity and risk, are where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

Those with experience in dealing with electronic gee-gaws can significantly reduce the latter (risk) while letting the former (curiosity) go places others may never comprehend.

And it's during these kinds of experiments where you truly come to know what taking responsibility for your actions, truly comes to mean… 
atsmile.gif

As for emi/rfi 'protection' the only way to know is to try it yourself, or have some one(s) perform these mods and report back…

As for me I opt for simplier, less intrusive mods, but if the curiosity is strong enough and I can reverse the mod 'cleanly', well then it can become a no brainer… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #8,505 of 9,484
Gotta love FedEx Int'l priority shipping...

FedEx picked up my Yggy from California last night (barely an hour after I had confirmed payment to Schiit), Flew it across to Indianapolis for sorting, and then onto Toronto, Canada. where it is now waiting to board a truck to be delivered to my work place (scheduled to arrive around noon).

That's some fast Schiit!!!

As for tweaking the Yggy:

I plan to change the fuse and add some EMI absorption material to the inner chassis at some point as I generally find there's some sonic improvement to be had doing these. 
The fuse to me is usually the biggest bang for the buck improvement and pretty much a day one mod for me. EMI/RF absorption material(s) affects different gear in different ways and is something that requires some time to play around with. Seems you can definitely add to much with some gear and never enough with others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back