New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 24, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #8,191 of 9,484

yep, start with dedicated lines.  It makes a big difference. 

I need to get a better handle on residential electrical wiring.  When you say dedicated line, does this just mean that a particular outlet is on its own breaker in the sub-panel, or does it run all the way back out to the main panel?  I'm planning to have an electrician out to deal with some ungrounded sockets anyway and may look into a dedicated line if this is the extent of it.

On mine, one duplex outlet is connected to its own breaker via 12 guage wiring.  No other outlets are on that circuit.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #8,193 of 9,484
Nothing specifically about the Furman, but none of these devices is likely to take a massive electrical surge and continue to work.  Or arrest a direct and ungrounded lightning strike.  They will survive moderate events that would fry a standard surge protector....

A quick Google search will show how frustrating an experience claims against the big vendors has been.

Yes and because of this, I prefer not to have an "all-in-one" solution which may be lost if placed as first line of defense against surge...

That last Furman video is very convincing about lost information.

I know, after asking Tripp Lite, that the Isolation Transformer does not like to have another conditioner in line with it, as it sees it as a resistance. Same with the Voltage Regulator. Is either of the two, and by far, the Isolation Transformer provides more overall protection and noise reduction from AC Mains IME...

I dont see whats the problem and dont agree with that response you recieved from tripplight.

whether it sees anything on either side of the transformer (primary&secondary),
absolutely does not change or impede is primary function, which is separation.
Also I assumed the tripplight unit also applies its own filtering as well,
So would they call that a "resistance"?..

edit:
regardless,
I do agree that the tripplight (or other "isolation transformer") is prob the best solution for noise & protection,
but for the yggy we actually still need a UPS type solution for keeping it alive(!)

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #8,194 of 9,484
Future Yggdrasil ver: 2.0 requirements.

biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #8,195 of 9,484
  I dont see whats the problem and dont agree with that response you recieved from tripplight. ...
Also I assumed the tripplight unit also applies its own filtering as well,
So would they call that a "resistance"?..

So much is so wrong with so many posts previous to this that I hardly know where to start.

1) Power conditioners are for anomalies such as noise, harmonics, voltage variation, hum, etc.  Most everyone is already solved by what is required inside a power supply.  For example, let's assume the Furman 'cleans' AC power.  What happens next?  Electronic power supplies convert that maybe 120 volts into well over 300 volt high frequency spikes.  Then superior filters and regulators convert that now 'much dirtiest' power into rock solid, low voltage, and stable DC.  Does not matter what the Furman does.  Electronics routinely undo all that 'cleaning'.  And then superior 'cleaning' circuits clearn that many times 'diriter' power.

The Furman and equivalent power conditioners are recommended when the consumer has no ideal what a power supply does. To cure an anomaly that is irrelevant.

2) Surges are completely different and require a completely different solution.  How does a surge that cannot be stopped by three miles of sky get stopped or absorbed by a magic box protector or UPS?  It isn't.  How does it hundreds or thousand joules absorb a surge that is hundreds of thousands of joules?  Every honest recommendation can always answer that question.  How does a 2 cm part inside magic box protectors stop what three miles of sky could not?  If the protector is adjacent to an appliance, then it can only block a surge or absorb it.

Where are his spec numbers for Tripplite filtering?  No numbers means no filtering - or a claim based in wild speculation.

A completely different device with superior specification numbers is, unfortunately, also called a surge protector.  Anyone making recommendations subjectively (ie a surge protector is for surge protection) is simply played as naive by advertising and salesmen.  A typically destructive surge (ie lightning) can be 20,000 amps.  So the proven solution has larger spec numbers.  A minimal 'whole house' protector is 50,000 amps.  Since protectors that fail do no protection.  And since the other and proven solution remains functional after a 20,000 amp direct strike.  Surge protection was done this way for over 100 years.  Another damning question.  Why do so many not post these numbers and other well proven solutions?

If anything needs protection, then everything needs surge protection.  Informed consumers spend about $1 per protected appliance to earth a proven solution. Do not waste money on near zero, plug-in protectors (for $25 or $90 per appliance).  Learn how Furman easily manipulates the electrically naive into recommending their magic box.

Any post that does not include perspective (the numbers) should be immediately ignored as wild speculation or hearsay.  First an actual problem must be identified - with numbers.  Then a solution for that anomaly can be discussed (also with numbers).  Most posts about power conditioners and surge protectors are based in bogus reasoning, soundbytes from advertising, and personal feelings.  A discussion of power conditioners is completely different and unrelated to another discussion about protecting hardware from surges.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #8,196 of 9,484
maybe the furman is a better choice vs the triplite?

On top of power conditioning and filtering:
You have non-sacrificial surge protection(meaning the power conditioner will survive and work properly even after a massive electrical surge hitting it)
You have power factor correction which helps add 45amps(3amp continous) of instant power reserves for your amplifier(helps with movie explosion or 1842 cannons)
You get a power distribution box and phoneline and cable surge protection
You also get manufacuter insurance against damages caused by electrical damage
Also it has two fancy led lights that you can use for dim lighting.

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-Elite-15-PF-13-Outlet-Filtering/dp/B000WV5K4S/

what the different between the DMi and the PF i?

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #8,197 of 9,484

Doesn't appear balanced, unlike the Furman IT-1210/20/30 models.  Still need UPS, tho, if this subject is about power outages and resulting periodic loss of the 'lush tapestry'.

At $500 you can buy a used equitech transformer that weights 70 pounds. Then, get a couple 100feet 16awg extension cords from homedepot (leave most of it in a coil), and your sound will be unbelievable good.

Edit: As a warning, the reduction in noise floor + power issues solved will leave the system super revealing. You'll then have to fix any issues remaining in your system, so it's actually a lot of work. So not for everyone.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #8,198 of 9,484
Have question not related to power conditioners :) Did somebody find speakers that matching Ragnarok well? I am using old PSB A/V bookshelves and found it sounding pretty good with Rag hooked to balanced Parasound DAC. Gallos or Auioengines weren't even close to them to my ears. Wonder if it is PSB matching Rag's signature or just this particular model.

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #8,199 of 9,484
You should be matching the amp and source to the speakers, not vice versa. It depends on what kind of sound and music you prefer. Do you want huge soundstaging, neutral/warm/analytical tonality, V/U/Linear shaped sound etc.

If you're looking for a balanced sound with excellent midrange, extended treble and tight bass, the KEF LS50s would be a very good option. You could also look at Dynaudio speakers.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #8,203 of 9,484
  Yes, absolutely, you would want to float pin 3.....if you shorted it to ground then the negative phase would be driving a short all the time.  Not good for the circuitry.

It all comes down to the listeners versus the techies.  The techies say summing the phases lowers distortion.  This listener says listen to the positive phase only and it lowers distortion.  Who would you believe?  A techie or your ears.  I trust my ears.  I have never found a summing circuit that did not mess the sound some.  A super low distortion low impedance silver transformer does very little to the sound.  Most solid state summers.....well, not so good.

The only way to know what something does to the sound is to listen to it.  All words are meaningless without listening tests.  When you hear something....then you know something.  These kind of things are not subtle.  A lot of people would say you guys are all woo woo with all your warm up/burn in sound change drama.  I KNOW otherwise...because I listen.  Burn in and warm up are real.  So is removing circuitry that is not needed and that adds AUDIBLE distortion.....Not talking measurements here....talking audible differences that anyone can hear.

So is Ric the only person talking about improvements to this DAC? I noticed he's posted a list on his website if you want to try them yourself:

http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Schiit_mod.html

I haven't found any gear that doesn't take some TLC (and sometimes serious convincing) to get it to sound it's best.

Greg in Mississippi

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #8,204 of 9,484
So is Ric the only person talking about improvements to this DAC? I noticed he's posted a list on his website if you want to try them yourself:

http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Schiit_mod.html

I haven't found any gear that doesn't take some TLC (and sometimes serious convincing) to get it to sound it's best.

Greg in Mississippi

2 posts in 6 years? No, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back