New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #8,221 of 9,484
I use an iso puck for isolation, I was looking at some of the balanced isolation stuff but it's not cheap to implement

and I would personally spare no expense for a properly terminated bnc cable for the yggdrasil if possible, little things like proper crimping and wire choices require too much measurement to do unless you already have the appropriate equipment to measure return loss, etc.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #8,222 of 9,484
Some of you have seen this, but for others in need of an Yggdrasil review "fix", last week I posted the first formal member review here in the Head-Fi Head Gear section.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #8,223 of 9,484
Thanks for your impressions! Good work with Yggdrasil first "official" review 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #8,224 of 9,484
  Talking about interconnection between Ragnarok and Yggdrasil, what are you all currently using, and what do you suggest? I was thinking about buying a pair of simple Schiit PYST XLR cables:

http://schiit.com/products/pyst-cables

but I was wondering if these would be on par or not with Rag And Ygg quality.

Nothing at realistic price point beats Mogami cables. For xlr, get the Mogami W2549. Chances are your music was produced using it.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #8,225 of 9,484
I am considering a YGGY or a Master 7 with or OR5.

have heard neither. 

From what I understand the YGGY has superior resolution.

However resolution is not everything.   How do they compare in terms of musicality, fullness of sound, and general long term enjoyment?   Usually- higher resolution equipment captures us more immediately but often the long term enjoyment goes to less resolving gear.

I would appreciate any help in this decision.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #8,226 of 9,484
I am considering a YGGY or a Master 7 with or OR5.

have heard neither. 

From what I understand the YGGY has superior resolution.

However resolution is not everything.   How do they compare in terms of musicality, fullness of sound, and general long term enjoyment?   Usually- higher resolution equipment captures us more immediately but often the long term enjoyment goes to less resolving gear.

I would appreciate any help in this decision.

And there are the costs for the OR5 to consider. Almost as much as the Yggy itself…
$1299 for `Standard
$700 for Dual Turbo

My bet is on the Yggy anytime. ..

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #8,227 of 9,484
SUPER LONG POST! (Like this one
wink.gif
)
So I will respond to a bit what I definitely agree upon.

Some topics to consider.
1- surge protection:
After looking at those videos in last few pages,
I have to agree these companies play on the fundamantal fear of comsumers worring about lightning strikes, when,
Like you say, their "majic box" will Not stop a lightning bolt that traveled thru "3miles of sky"...
tongue.gif

2- filtering/ AC conditioners (banks, etc):
Also agree that most good products will actually have a power supply capable to filter out noise crap in line, and deliver the necessary DC power according to its design.
Even if they have their own issues that I will state after, but first,

An example of products playing on consumer fears&lack of knowledge:

In the last Furman video , the guy plugged in a phone charger,
which was a super cheap power supply only meant to charge a battery, not a true component power supply.

So who would plug that crap in next to any audio component like a yggy?

Yet even so, it doesnt matter..
In reality that noise displayed is actually simple in origin.
Its not some complex high frequency or computer generated noises.
Its just a simple cheapo rectfied weak filtered DC voltage rippling at 60hz in same phase as original AC,
So duh, that is just AC(!).

The meter used to pick up the noise (which is obviously amplified),
is actually doing the OPPOSITE of what all power supplys (in any unit) does, which is CONVERT that same 60hzAC, and change it to a nicely filtered & regulated DC...

So One of the videos had a gross misinterpretation of 60hz noise in a monitor which would NEVER happen if functioning normal.
tongue.gif

3- isolation:
Last video had alot of techno crap talk about some balanced power topology..
But regardless what topology the "secondaries" are implemented,
That unit still in essence was an "isolation transformer".
tongue.gif

I havent seen any videos on what a yggy primarily would actually benefit from,
Which is a UPS for loss of outlet power..
smily_headphones1.gif

The idea is not to stop a lightning strike, its to stop residual charge from that strike:

If you have as most homes should a lightning protection, it will not stop 100% of the charge. It will however reduce it considerably.
The idea for a ground line is to reroute the strike to a line that will give it less resistance than your home, ans since your home has electronical equipment running constantly (and this is the equivalent of lowering the resistance even further) it need a protection for that amount of electricity draw+the residual charge that your ground protection is not able to reroute.

Also, most people will experience 0 to 1 strikes in their life that will damage their equipment, but your electricity provider may have inconsistencies in their power supply.
This is what the cheaper surge protectors are done for (and they can distort your electricity supply so they are worse than having nothing). 

Think about it like this:

If you have a river flowing, and there is a small branch that comes out of it, that branch will put resistance to receive the full stream of the river (this is your surge protector the covers your whole house or building).

The amount of water that gets by is still too much for your electronics, but a decent surge protector will block that.

If you have no surge protection inside the house, its like making that branch bigger yourself, since the energy your home is drawing thru the line tells the lightning that its the way to go. Your external surge protection will still block most of the hit, but not enough to keep your stuff safe.

The reason why people tell you to turn off electronics when there is a lighting storm is because your home then is not a desired way for the lightning to go.

Now, I know this is not 100% accurate, but the basic physics about electricity is all you need in order to know how to protect your gear :D.

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #8,228 of 9,484
Loan unit Yggy is arriving tomorrow...

It's been a while since I've read this thread, could someone remind me of the necessary warm up times?

if I recall correctly - after 72 hours it will have settled, a good time to start listening. After 150 hours it should, if the hype is to be believed, be magical :¬)

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #8,229 of 9,484
... The reason why people tell you to turn off electronics when there is a lighting storm is because your home then is not a desired way for the lightning to go

In case a lightning has already struck the main line close to your home it will just zip along the line to ground and fry a thing here and there along the way. The amount of energy and split second timing won't allow for any decision making if a house looks ok to go through or not. And if that full surge enters your house grid, your stuff will be fried even when switched off. You only make sure nothing will happen when you take it off the grid, i.e. pull the plug out. That costs you nothing and your Schiit will be safe.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #8,230 of 9,484
+1

Unplug your gear (kit for many of you) if there is lighting in the area.  That's the only way to protect it near 100%.  I say near because a very close or direct strike can damage equipment that isn't plugged in like battery operated electronics among others.

It is  correct that lightning rods and the distance and pathway from the strike will lower the energy that a surge protector is intended remove, and surge protectors do protect us from strikes in the general area. They also stop switching transients that come with turning off and on large appliances.

All of this said when a lightning bolt hits your front lawn or the backyard stuff is going to get fried.  Advertisements are pretty misleading about what they can do when that happens.  I had a bolt hit where the light and sound were simultaneous and very bright, very loud, and were about a 6 on the Richter Scale.  It was like being bombed.  No real damage was done to the most expensive equipment that was unplugged but it fried stuff all over the house that wasn't unplugged and even a few things that were.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #8,232 of 9,484
+1

Unplug your gear (kit for many of you) if there is lighting in the area.  That's the only way to protect it near 100%.  I say near because a very close or direct strike can damage equipment that isn't plugged in like battery operated electronics among others.

It is  correct that lightning rods and the distance and pathway from the strike will lower the energy that a surge protector is intended remove, and surge protectors do protect us from strikes in the general area. They also stop switching transients that come with turning off and on large appliances.

All of this said when a lightning bolt hits your front lawn or the backyard stuff is going to get fried.  Advertisements are pretty misleading about what they can do when that happens.  I had a bolt hit where the light and sound were simultaneous and very bright, very loud, and were about a 6 on the Richter Scale.  It was like being bombed.  No real damage was done to the most expensive equipment that was unplugged but it fried stuff all over the house that wasn't unplugged and even a few things that were.

+1 Thanks for the heads up sir. I live in Florida, which has frequent lightning storms. And I will sadly pull the plug on my yggy and rag, to protect my investments. I have a battery back up and it should be here today, to protect my yggy from rolling burn outs, but I have no delusions that a battery back up and my surge protector will protect my equipment from a direct lightning strike.

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #8,233 of 9,484
Lol I would be more worried about my house catching fire if struck directly by lightning- but that's just me

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #8,234 of 9,484
Lol I would be more worried about my house catching fire if struck directly by lightning- but that's just me

It has been brought to our attention that you are lately thinking like a suspiciously normal person. You have to come by TheHouse and give up you audiophile permit. For the next 3 months your only allowed music setup will be iphone, earbuds and the lowest quality mp3s from itunes ... we'll see then how much you like that being-normal thing, punk!
... worried about the house ... pfff ... newb ...

The Goldenears Salvation Army. In Ears We Trust. (not yours!)

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #8,235 of 9,484
I don't know I just had an image of reddog running out of his burning house with the Ygg cradled in his arms. Oddly enough there was a big smile on his face despite the fact his house was burning to the ground :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back