New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 19, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #7,651 of 9,484
Just one more question for those in the know with the Yggdrasil:

Is it difficult to install the USB driver in Win 8.1? What about the coexistence with other (picky) drivers like that for the Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014)? I would like to keep them both so I can compare both devices, in the beginning at least.

Can both drivers coexist (I know Audio Gd's recommendation is to eliminate previous drivers), even using exclusivity audio mode?

Thanks for any thoughts.

May 19, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #7,652 of 9,484
  Just one more question for those in the know with the Yggdrasil:

Is it difficult to install the USB driver in Win 8.1? What about the coexistence with other (picky) drivers like that for the Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014)? I would like to keep them both so I can compare both devices, in the beginning at least.

Can both drivers coexist (I know Audio Gd's recommendation is to eliminate previous drivers), even using exclusivity audio mode?

Thanks for any thoughts.

The install of the Win 8.1 driver is painless and is stable with JRiver 20; I don't have any AG products so I can't comment on that. 

I have been doing the 14 day trial of Roon, though, and the driver doesn't like Roon (or vice versa) at all...music doesn't play and my PC crashes using Win 8.1.  I did have Win 7 Pro on this PC until yesterday and upgraded to try to stop the crashes...didn't help and Roon behaves worse.  At least with Win 7, I could get Roon to play for roughly 40 minutes until the blue screen of death.

If you're interested in Roon, you might want to wait until they sort this thing out; they say they are working with Schiit on this.

May 19, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #7,654 of 9,484
I have listed to the Yggdrasil with sufficient awe at the detail and clarity of newer recordings, and the unearthing of detail in older (pre 50's) recordings that I would like to pose the following:

Is the Yggdrasil going to be difficult to review, because, regardless of the quality of the playback system, the new 'rate limiting factor' is the quality of the original recording equipment and environment?   

May 19, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #7,655 of 9,484
  I have listed to the Yggdrasil with sufficient awe at the detail and clarity of newer recordings, and the unearthing of detail in older (pre 50's) recordings that I would like to pose the following:

Is the Yggdrasil going to be difficult to review, because, regardless of the quality of the playback system, the new 'rate limiting factor' is the quality of the original recording equipment and environment?   

I think the "rate limit' that you speak of is exactly what people are looking for of sorts.  Going to listen to live music can be described as visceral, emotive, moving, and tear inducing.  Why is this?  Generally we could say its some combination of subharmonics invoking a certain subconscious level of feeling.  Many times music these days seems to lack that due to poor recordings, poor production, poor mixing, or in some case poor musicians(i.e. autotune).  The goal of any good DAC is to take the original digital source and make you feel like what it sounded like when it was recorded in its true form.

Sure some DACs will add color to certain frequency ranges but its all in an effort to bring back the true emotiveness of the original sound in the best way the sound engineer knows how.

Hearing is imperfect, as is digital.  You could say we have peeled back the last dusty veil on the music revealing its true nature - or at least as close as we could get without looking into the face whats to come.

May 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #7,656 of 9,484
I think it's possible to review regardless of the quality of the material... Some gear can present detail without the detailed sound detracting from the experience. Other gear has a tendency to expose flaws because of a detailed presentation. From what I've read, some recordings sound better than others with the Yggdrasil, but not to the point of people wanting to selectively play certain material. I think when it shines, it really shines.

I would appreciate knowing what material others really enjoy on the Yggy, as I have heard some very beautiful sounding music on the Angstrom that I think really shows how this DAC excels compared to other ones I've used. I have a feeling they would shine on the Yggy as well.

May 19, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #7,657 of 9,484
The key to a meaningful subjective equipment review is using source material and supporting devices that the reviewer is completely familiar with.  It really does not matter what is used for a review as long as the only thing that has changed is the item being evaluated, so that the reviewer's opinion is informed by the single change.  A measurement based review requires using calibrated standards and industry standard test conditions to be meaningful.

May 19, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #7,660 of 9,484
Anyone try ygg with squeezebox touch edo enabled usb?

thanks,

gad

As I use a Squeezebox Touch with my Ygg, I have to ask: why would you want to use usb when you have a solid reliable coaxial/toslink output option built into the device? :confused:

May 19, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #7,661 of 9,484
As I use a Squeezebox Touch with my Ygg, I have to ask: why would you want to use usb when you have a solid reliable coaxial/toslink output option built into the device?
confused.gif

It is not solid reliable in terms of sound: it actually sucks quite a bit.
The USB gave a very much improved sound almost 3 years ago, with less than stellar USB converter (by today's standard). I imagine it would be even better today, with interfaces such as the Yggy's Gen 3 USB input.

May 19, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #7,663 of 9,484
Hi, please note that this is my first post. I have been following this thread off and on for a while and coincidently just yesterday started using a Squeezebox Touch usb out into my Yggy using an SD card rather than streaming. I have enjoyed experimenting with a128GB SD card prior to the Yggy's arrival. It's a cleaner sound than streaming over Wi-Fi. My Transporter when streaming over Wi-Fi on the other hand isn't noisy like the Touch, but playing off the SD card in the Touch, the Touch is a noticeable improvement over the Transporter. I've moved my Transporter to another room to live out it's streaming days there. The media server running with the Touch's little brain isn't quit as snappy but you can control it with Squeeze Commander and you don't need Logitech Media Server running. That's my limited observations. I have a 256GB SD card on order to experiment a little more, that's a fair amount of storage. The Yggy is fantastic!

May 20, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #7,664 of 9,484
Way to go Schiit, sounds like a very successful launch. As a side note, I bought my Yggy from Prepoman, does that mean I'm the first person to score a used Yggy!? COOL

Did he give you a reason why he sold it?
Edit:
Wow I dont think he knew there was a 150hr break in period..
You lucky buyer(!)

I wonder if mine was the transformer one. I can't even express how nervous I was to test my replacement yggy when I got it and what a relief it was to hear it working.
haha exactly how I felt! :p

does it mean run 2 has better mounting for power supply?
sounds like a deal breaker.. naw dont care
:p

This dac makes an hd800 turn from a headphone,
into a time portal.
Its an "I am there" type of sensation.
Nightime listening turns spooky scary real.
Or so sweet it bring you to tears...

May 20, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #7,665 of 9,484

As I have used sbt edo usb out to a wyred4sound dac2 dsdse for yrs. with superior results vs. coax, I have to ask: have
you tried usb->Ygg?

gad-

I have not.  Old prejudices die hard.  
tongue.gif
  One day my curiosity may get the better of me!
Although I have always had EDO installed on my SBT in order to get 192k output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back