New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #3,946 of 9,484
  I can state for fact that the LCD-3F and Ragnarok is a great pairing, best one I've heard to date in fact.

best one meaning best amp for the -3F or best phone for the Rag or in general?  Sorry to be a pest, but I'm itching to buy a new headphone in a last ditch attempt to make this combo work... otherwise, my Ragnarok really will be for sale.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #3,947 of 9,484
Sorry I just meant best headphone and amp pairing I've heard, though I haven't heard the X so I couldnt say which is better. I prefer a warmer sound signature though which is why I bought the 3 and not the X. But the rag definately lets you hear your headphones at their best, that much is for sure.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #3,948 of 9,484

I haven't even plugged my HD800s into the Ragnarok yet

GET ON IT.
ph34r.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #3,949 of 9,484

best one meaning best amp for the -3F or best phone for the Rag or in general?  Sorry to be a pest, but I'm itching to buy a new headphone in a last ditch attempt to make this combo work... otherwise, my Ragnarok really will be for sale.

What's the problem with Rag -> HD800?  Anything beyond the 'usual' HD800 issues?

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #3,950 of 9,484
  What's the problem with Rag -> HD800?  Anything beyond the 'usual' HD800 issues?

Well, I've only heard HD 800 with decent to good tube amps before.  I never got the usual issues.  Now, they sound a little thin.  A lot of the stuff I listen to is not well mastered, and not the right genre for the HD 800... only now can I see what people always said about it being unforgiving, cold, analytical, etc. with stuff like that.  So, I figure it's easier to change 'phones than change my taste in music or the music industry in general.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #3,951 of 9,484

Just out of curiosity how many hours on your Rok?

JJ

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #3,952 of 9,484

Well, I've only heard HD 800 with decent to good tube amps before.  I never got the usual issues.  Now, they sound a little thin.  A lot of the stuff I listen to is not well mastered, and not the right genre for the HD 800... only now can I see what people always said about it being unforgiving, cold, analytical, etc. with stuff like that.  So, I figure it's easier to change 'phones than change my taste in music or the music industry in general.

Thanks for the context...I'm most likely going to try HD800s with my Rag in the next few weeks...never had a tube amp...might want to give that a shot at some point, but I fear I might see serious cost escalation eventually.  

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #3,954 of 9,484
  Thanks a lot smitty1110!

BTW, I don't hear microphonic with the Mainline, at least not to the level of Vali. Are you using tube covers for 6c45pi's? They are supposed to suppress microphonics among other things.

It's only when I flip switches or change the volume, it's probably causing some tiny vibrations that cause the noise. And yes, I use the covers on the 6c45pi's. I'm putting it down to normal HD 800 sensitivity to such things, or to the upgrades the previous owner made.

Anyway, I compared the soundstage of the two amps with my HD 800's and my Norne Vanquish 4-pin XLR cable. Same source, same interconnects, though this is still a highly suspect experiment. The only thing that stands out to me is that the soundstage on the upgraded Mainline might be wider and a bit flatter. It's not deeper, the imaging isn't really much different at all, but the funeral march of my Nabucco recording seems to reach further to the sides on the Mainline. Also, there is no sense of the music being behind me, whereas with the Ragnarok it seems to wrap around a little bit. Also, it should be mentioned that both sound amazing with the HD 800's. Do beware that even though the Mainline is a tubey amp, it's really transparent, it won't help you mask the flaws in a recording.

Edit - Fixed HD 900 to be Hd 800. I don't have the rumored upcoming senn flagship.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3,956 of 9,484

I'm now at just under 290hrs.

I'd suggest you pile on the hours before you make a decision, as it will get better…

When I first heard The Rok it wasn't 'spectacular'.
At ≈ 200hrs it started to 'open up'…
And I expect it will continue to do so for a while, if my previous experience is an indicator…

JJ

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #3,957 of 9,484

It's only when I flip switches or change the volume, it's probably causing some tiny vibrations that cause the noise. And yes, I use the covers on the 6c45pi's. I'm putting it down to normal HD 800 sensitivity to such things, or to the upgrades the previous owner made.

Anyway, I compared the soundstage of the two amps with my HD 800's and my Norne Vanquish 4-pin XLR cable. Same source, same interconnects, though this is still a highly suspect experiment. The only thing that stands out to me is that the soundstage on the upgraded Mainline might be wider and a bit flatter. It's not deeper, the imaging isn't really much different at all, but the funeral march of my Nabucco recording seems to reach further to the sides on the Mainline. Also, there is no sense of the music being behind me, whereas with the Ragnarok it seems to wrap around a little bit. Also, it should be mentioned that both sound amazing with the HD 800's. Do beware that even though the Mainline is a tubey amp, it's really transparent, it won't help you mask the flaws in a recording.

Edit - Fixed HD 900 to be Hd 800. I don't have the rumored upcoming senn flagship.

Thank you for finding time for these detailed impressions. Much appreciated. It's very reassuring that Mainline stands up to the best SS amps in technicalities. 

I double checked my Mainline and I don't hear any microphonics, maybe tube rolling can help. Sorry for offtopic.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #3,958 of 9,484
Just placed my order for a Rag! Very excited. At this moment I only have stock LCD-2's, stock q701s, and a pair of Polk audio RTI A3 speakers.

I was wondering how nicely the Rag plays while running headphones SE. 

If I wanted to hook up my q701s and LCD-2s using the 4-pin XLR connection, would I need to have my headphones modified or would I just need new cables?

I will let you all know how this beast runs as soon as Schiit finishes building it for me. :D

--Hank

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,959 of 9,484
Just placed my order for a Rag! Very excited. At this moment I only have stock LCD-2's, stock q701s, and a pair of Polk audio RTI A3 speakers.

I was wondering how nicely the Rag plays while running headphones SE. 

If I wanted to hook up my q701s and LCD-2s using the 4-pin XLR connection, would I need to have my headphones modified or would I just need new cables?

I will let you all know how this beast runs as soon as Schiit finishes building it for me. :D

--Hank

I think consensus is that the amp is best used in balanced mode, so terms aging for 4-pin is the way to go. The standard Auseze 4-pin cable should be a reasonable start or any number of custome cables are available. They require no modification. I don't know how readily Q701 cable replacements are available.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #3,960 of 9,484
  I'm now at just under 290hrs.

I'd suggest you pile on the hours before you make a decision, as it will get better…

When I first heard The Rok it wasn't 'spectacular'.
At ≈ 200hrs it started to 'open up'…
And I expect it will continue to do so for a while, if my previous experience is an indicator…

JJ

Not a chance.  If it doesn't win me over right away, it's not for me.  I don't have the tenacity to stick with things that aren't amazing right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back