New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3,977 of 9,484
Well, I've only heard HD 800 with decent to good tube amps before.  I never got the usual issues.  Now, they sound a little thin.  A lot of the stuff I listen to is not well mastered, and not the right genre for the HD 800... only now can I see what people always said about it being unforgiving, cold, analytical, etc. with stuff like that.  So, I figure it's easier to change 'phones than change my taste in music or the music industry in general.

If your music isn't well mastered, I would recommend a headphone that is forgiving of bad recordings. I find my LCDX is a bit more forgiving than the HD800, while also sounding spectacular with the Rag.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #3,978 of 9,484
That seems like a shortsighted perspective to me. For a $1700+ investment, for what many consider to be the best SS amp available, with unique, sound engineering-you'd think it'd be worth the further wait to allow some burn in to run it's course-pro/con biases aside.

FWIW, my MJ changed pretty remarkably around 150-200 hours-just as Jason suggested to me that it would.

The payoff might be worth it. :wink_face:

Im not knocking the gear, I'm knocking the combo... I don't want to spend 200 hours enduring something I don't like on the off chance it changes into something I like via capacitor wear or brain-burn in.

But I respect the other side of the coin's opinion.

If your music isn't well mastered, I would recommend a headphone that is forgiving of bad recordings. I find my LCDX is a bit more forgiving than the HD800, while also sounding spectacular with the Rag.

I didn't like the -X on the BMC PureDAC with some of the same stuff. Maybe I'll stick to car stereos and apple earbuds.

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #3,982 of 9,484
I really doubt about burn-in unless we are talking about tube amps and speakers. And with bias system of Rag, the sound is not supposed to be changed after hours of playing.

Quote:

What's the problem with Rag -> HD800?  Anything beyond the 'usual' HD800 issues?

Well, I've only heard HD 800 with decent to good tube amps before.  I never got the usual issues.  Now, they sound a little thin.  A lot of the stuff I listen to is not well mastered, and not the right genre for the HD 800... only now can I see what people always said about it being unforgiving, cold, analytical, etc. with stuff like that.  So, I figure it's easier to change 'phones than change my taste in music or the music industry in general.

Yes. HD800 is HD800. It always sounds like that unless you put it on very warm amps (e.g some tube amps.) Connect to any honest-sounding amp, and the sound is not that pretty despite some others' claims.

I suggest try warmer cans such as LCD-2 (I am in minority, but I feel LCD-2 sounds better than LCD-3) and/or HD650. Both scale very well with better amps.

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #3,983 of 9,484
Yes. HD800 is HD800. It always sounds like that unless you put it on very warm amps (e.g some tube amps.) Connect to any honest-sounding amp, and the sound is not that pretty despite some others' claims.

Having used my HD800 with both the Rag and the Vio 281, I do prefer the warmer sound of the V281. It does tend to sound dry with the Rag.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3,984 of 9,484
I tend to forget that I am using modified HD800's sometimes.  With dampening ring mod the headphone is a different animal losing the treble hardness and gaining a little warmth.  Presentation changes a little but for me that's OK - I already feel the imaging on some recordings can be hyper-real.  First priority is to make the tonal balance tolerable.

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #3,985 of 9,484

Or maybe some Beats with cotton balls? :wink:

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #3,986 of 9,484
Im not knocking the gear, I'm knocking the combo... I don't want to spend 200 hours enduring something I don't like on the off chance it changes into something I like via capacitor wear or brain-burn in.

But I respect the other side of the coin's opinion.
I didn't like the -X on the BMC PureDAC with some of the same stuff. Maybe I'll stick to car stereos and apple earbuds.

Lol when you use the word enduring, I have a mental picture with you listening to a demented scientist, amplify the Sound of finger nails scratching on a chalk board or some other sound that rattles your teeth. Well anyway I hope you do find the amp, that has that magical synergy, with your headphones.
Cheers

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #3,987 of 9,484
I'm working on finding the headphones to match the amp, as I have more faith in the relevance and longevity of Schiit than this iteration of the Sennheiser flagship...

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #3,988 of 9,484
I cannot speak to the Ragnarok but I did pair the Audeze LCD-3-f with Gungnir - Mjolnir - Norne Draug balanced.  They worked together very well. Smooth, clean, detailed but with just enough warmth that it did not seem clinical.  I had the HD800s at the some time but I sold them.   The bright spot is the frequency response of the HD800 seemed to  match the frequency of the imperfections on the music I listen to. It was very distracting. Great phones, just not for me. Still have the LCD3 - f, the Draug, and the Gungnir. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3,989 of 9,484
My Ragnarok has (still does) sound absolutely beautiful right out of the box. I could see there would be quite a few who wish they could "endure" a Ragnarok. Continuing to suffer thru yet another extended listening sesh with this magnificent piece of equipment... Someone has to do it right?

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #3,990 of 9,484
My Ragnarok will be added to the amp stable friday! 
Will post some thoughts once I have the hours on it and time enough to listen properly. 
As always Jason and the Schiit crew were a pleasure to deal with. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back