New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 4, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #3,991 of 9,484
Code:
 Yggy – as of 3 Dec 2014 Sorry I have been distracted lately. The last of the Yggy parts are just about all now in for the 0.99 run PCBs. We're making two new ones to compare to the first run of three. (two complete with chassis.) The only thing not here are some transformer and chokes I've tweaked, which are due in next week. I'm am feeling really optimistically close. The new boards are under assembly already, and the first one done out of 6 has a very minor error. Needs one resistor added. The next two out are fine! Bang – out they goe to production v1.00. That leaves three to go. All of the small PCB parts as well as the chassis are in the process of being ordered or in stock. Since the chassis and mechanical parts which fit holes in the chassis are already in stock, we know they fit, eliminating a plethora of potential problems. The only parts not in order process are the transformers chokes and heatsinks which at the end of the day will need heatsinks matched to them. This will all be done in a couple of weeks. All of our suppliers are sanguine about their abilities to meet our timelines. 1Q 2015 baby!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 4, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #3,992 of 9,484
Code:
Yggy – as of 3 Dec 2014

Sorry I have been distracted lately. The last of the Yggy parts are just about all now in for 
the 0.99 run PCBs. We're making two new ones to compare to the first run of three. (two 
complete with chassis.) The only thing not here are some transformer and chokes I've tweaked, 
which are due in next week. I'm am feeling really optimistically close. The new boards are 
under assembly already, and the first one done out of 6 has a very minor error. Needs one 
resistor added. The next two out are fine! Bang – out they goe to production v1.00. That 
leaves three to go.

All of the small PCB parts as well as the chassis are in the process of being ordered or in 
stock. Since the chassis and mechanical parts which fit holes in the chassis are already in 
stock, we know they fit, eliminating a plethora of potential problems.

The only parts not in order process are the transformers chokes and heatsinks which at the end 
of the day will need heatsinks matched to them. This will all be done in a couple of weeks. 
All of our suppliers are sanguine about their abilities to meet our timelines.

1Q 2015 baby!

That is great news, though my wallet is whimpering.

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #3,993 of 9,484

I suggest try warmer cans such as LCD-2 (I am in minority, but I feel LCD-2 sounds better than LCD-3) and/or HD650. Both scale very well with better amps.

Thats good news for me - I am thinking of getting the LCD2 next year

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,994 of 9,484

Code:
 The only thing not here are some transformer and chokes I've tweaked, which are due in next week. I'm am feeling really optimistically close. The new boards are under assembly already, and the first one done out of 6 has a very minor error. Needs one resistor added. The only parts not in order process are the transformers chokes and heatsinks which at the end of the day will need heatsinks matched to them. 1Q 2015 baby!

Intriguing schiit.  Wisht I was a fly on the wall sometimes... 
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #3,995 of 9,484

Sanguine ?  

Sanguine means cautiously optimistic about a bad or difficult situation , which is closer to what I feel about a useful DAC arriving at the $2,500 price point .  

Are your suppliers actually "Sanguine" about meeting your time needs ? hmm ! 

I'll tell ya , that Purrin fella isn't "Sanguine" , he's out there leading your cheering section , he'll probably sell a dozen or so of your first Full-Run . 

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #3,996 of 9,484
Ha!  Purrin is not a cheerleader by any stretch, so that if the Yggy is being favorably reviewed by him, it means it hit his marks on its own merit.

Also considering that there's a considerable population of users that question the cost effectiveness of any DAC above $1000, USB or otherwise, your $2500 bottom end here prolly shows your high end audio gear rep roots more than anything else. 
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #3,997 of 9,484
Also considering that there's a considerable population of users that question the cost effectiveness of any DAC above $1000, USB or otherwise, your $2500 bottom end here prolly shows your high end audio gear rep roots more than anything else. 
wink.gif

Ah, gotta love the high-end segment of the audiophile world. I look at some of that stuff to remind myself that I'm not truly insane yet. Yeah, 2.5k is a lot, but it a hell of a lot less than some people's turntables (without the arm or cartridge), so that's how I sleep at night.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #3,998 of 9,484

I'll tell ya , that Purrin fella isn't "Sanguine" , he's out there leading your cheering section , he'll probably sell a dozen or so of your first Full-Run.

Purrin in a cheerleader uni? Thanks for the image..

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #3,999 of 9,484
  Yeah, 2.5k is a lot, but it a hell of a lot less than some people's turntables (without the arm or cartridge), so that's how I sleep at night.

wink.gif

Sanguine means cautiously optimistic about a bad or difficult situation , which is closer to what I feel about a useful DAC arriving at the $2,500 price point .  

Tony in Michigan 

Where are you guys getting this $2,500 figure from? Last I heard it was hovering around $1,900..
Or has there been some update that I've missed?

Or is it still completely unknown?

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #4,001 of 9,484
I believe we're still set at $2299 after reviewing the final bill of materials. Mike can confirm.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #4,002 of 9,484
  I believe we're still set at $2299 after reviewing the final bill of materials. Mike can confirm.

Ah, ok. Thanks for this clarification. I suppose it doesn't really matter to me what the price will be, as this will be added to my equipment eventually.

Just changes the when, student budget and all. Ah well, by the time I've got the money ready - either reviews + personal listening will confirm it's brilliance or I'll have the money to buy something else that's good.

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #4,003 of 9,484

Sweet, 2299 USD, now I have my goal for next year. And by the time I have the money, any unforseen problems, from such a complex product will have manifested themselves and fixed. Thanks again to the And to the audiowizards for creating such great equipment.

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #4,004 of 9,484

Just speaking in Round Numbers ,  I think they are saying $2,299 or thereabouts , no big deal here , add shipping , add a decent set of Audioquest Diamond Cables and dinner for Wifey and you're probably well past $2,500 .  

Tony in Michigan 

ps .  you get into this price range and there's no point in trying to save pennies !   Anyway , you're car radio probably had a $5,000 bundle package price point .  $2,500 is cheap compared to what you give us for your car do-dad options that don't move the needle in your happiness calculus .  By the way , thanks for buying that last car of your's but it is time to trade it in , we have some really nice cars to offer you , have you seen the latest Caddys ? , you do deserve one , don't you ?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back