New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 1, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #3,931 of 9,484
All this talk reminds me of Mike's statement during an interview… 
"…When I do them for me I have more fun with them and they sound in a way that pleases me.  
And as I said before, I'm kinda fussy."

So the methodology is going to include whatever he deems suitable, and would be aimed at what he considers as pleasing to his own tastes.

And either you like what pleases him and his fussy taste, or not.

Which when it comes down to it is what any designer/engineer will do given the constraints of any given project.

I for one think we will be 'pleasantly' surprised!  :thumb

JJ

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #3,932 of 9,484

Pleased ? , we better be ! 

Poor Baldr will probably refuse to be re-incarnated if we don't love his Big DAC and buy all they can make with a back-order streaching out to Sept of 2015 , mythological figures can act out kinda Wyrd , if you're not careful around them .   
  Well , keep an eye out for a Tyll video interview , the Big DAC is gonna get tons of Headphone coverage when they start production . 

Tony in Michigan

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #3,933 of 9,484

Yep.  Mike is.  What you said, though, was essentially, "I heard about a thing.  Hey Mike!! MIKE!!  Have you heard about this thing, and when will you be changing your thing to implement the thing I heard?!?"

And what you said is “ Hup! Let’s not be indulging in any irresponsible hypothetical speculation or wanton counterproductive discussions here.  Let’s just all of us keep our strict focus on the immediate ducks of proper color as they line up in front of us: 1, 2, 3….”

But you’re right.  Mike does have a dog in the hunt here, and as such cannot be considered to have an objective viewpoint, regardless of the subject’s potential for eliciting his practiced opinion.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #3,934 of 9,484
Maybe stop asking for upgrades to a device that isn't out yet, and for which specifications have not been officially published, from the guy who hasn't built it yet. Just a thought.

smily_headphones1.gif

Speculation about future upgrades is fun and interesting (at least to me and a few others).  Mike M can engage or not, depending on how he feels --- there is no fire of crazy brand damaging rumors for him to put out here, so nobody is twisting his arm.  Fewer color discussions and schiit jokes, more DAC enthousiast tech talk, preferably informed, is my preference, but I'll put up with color discussions for whatever jacal01 digs up.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #3,935 of 9,484
  Ragnarok with LCD-X is a synergistic match made in heaven.

Completely agree. I haven't even plugged my HD800s into the Ragnarok yet because I'm so smitten with the LCD-X at the moment.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #3,936 of 9,484
Completely agree. I haven't even plugged my HD800s into the Ragnarok yet because I'm so smitten with the LCD-X at the moment.

I absolutely agree, the LCDX and the Rag are a jaw dropping combination. The highs are perfect and the low end oomph is amazing!

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #3,937 of 9,484
I absolutely agree, the LCDX and the Rag are a jaw dropping combination. The highs are perfect and the low end oomph is amazing!

Do you guys hear any mid range recession with the LCD-X at all?

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #3,938 of 9,484

The Rag does an amazing job of fleshing out the mids on the LCD-X--almost to the point of making me wonder if I have an LCD-3F. Between the forward detailed mids and more intimate soundstage, I think the Rag is probably better matched with detailed, forward wide-soundstage headphones like the LCD-X and HD800.

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #3,939 of 9,484
Would you say lcd3f or lcdx coming in fresh with a new rag? I don't like he hd 800 with most of the music I listen to with this amp... And I'm regretting selling my lcd3f before it came in.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #3,940 of 9,484

I would say that the LCD-X's mids were a bit recessed with the Burson Soloist (an otherwise excellent amp), but the Ragnarok has solved that completely.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #3,941 of 9,484

My used mainline just came in today, and my rag is coming in tomorrow. Needless to say, they will be compared at some point. I just need to find the time, the holiday season is busy for my company.

smitty1110, did you have a chance to compare Mainline with Ragnarok?

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #3,942 of 9,484

smitty1110, did you have a chance to compare Mainline with Ragnarok?

I haven't had time to do a long listening session with the two, and now the holiday rush is in full swing at work, so it's increasingly less like that I'll get to it before Christmas. It also doesn't help that I got my speakers, so there's not enough room for both on my desk, and swapping them has become quite the chore.
darthsmile.gif

In terms of a quick tonality impression they are very, very close. I'm not at all confident that I could tell the difference in a blind test. The only thing that really bothers me about the mainline is that it's a bit microphonic when changing the volume, witching inputs, etc.

I also didn't notice any glaring differences in presentation and soundstages using HD800, but that's because I haven't A/B tested with the Nabucco funeral march yet. That shouldn't take too much time, I'll see if I have time for that after work today.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #3,943 of 9,484
Thanks a lot smitty1110!

BTW, I don't hear microphonic with the Mainline, at least not to the level of Vali. Are you using tube covers for 6c45pi's? They are supposed to suppress microphonics among other things.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #3,944 of 9,484
Would you say lcd3f or lcdx coming in fresh with a new rag? I don't like he hd 800 with most of the music I listen to with this amp... And I'm regretting selling my lcd3f before it came in.

I haven't had the opportunity to hear the LCD-3/3F with the Rag yet, but I'd bet the 3F will be a good match. I don't think the X and the 3F are miles apart--more like EQing the mids up or down.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #3,945 of 9,484
I can state for fact that the LCD-3F and Ragnarok is a great pairing, best one I've heard to date in fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back