New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Dec 1, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #3,916 of 9,484
@Baldr:

Mike, I know this is long range, but DACLadder over on another thread spoke toward the advantages of using multiple DAC chips per channel for lower output impedence and quicker response.  Can you foresee a possible upgrade of the Yggy or similar product down the road along these lines?

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #3,917 of 9,484
  @Baldr:

Mike, I know this is long range, but DACLadder over on another thread spoke toward the advantages of using multiple DAC chips per channel for lower output impedence and quicker response.  Can you foresee a possible upgrade of the Yggy or similar product down the road along these lines?

Hm, Yggy may already do this?  Do we know?

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #3,921 of 9,484
My take on this is that two chips per channel matters (and seems to be pretty standard), while four seems overkill.  But that's just a guess.

What I want to know is 'does two chips make deglitching easier'?  The chip is (relatively) glitchy given its very high linearity specs and requires deglitching.  I could see that dual or quad chips making that easier.  Or maybe deglitching is so easy it doesn't matter, simple sample and hold, with a short enough and stable enough sample window.  So probably not...

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #3,923 of 9,484
  There are papers on stuff like that.

How do I find them?  Google doesn't differentiate enough given my level of knowledge.

The ironic thing here is that one of my cousins is married to a now former long-time DAC chip designer who now does VC, including audio (not hi-fi) related fundings if google is reliable.  But unmentionable family related reasons (not having to do with him or me) mean I can't talk to him.

Hm, maybe I should send him an email and let the family fallout happen...

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #3,924 of 9,484
Yggy NEWS !  

There's no News , thats the news !!  

These guys gotta set up the new Shop , get things sorted out , get some bills paid , buy some 10,000 sq.ft. worth of infrastructure , fixturing and more personnel , all of it running properly .  That Integrated is a complex piece that hasn't been durability proved yet .
  They may not get the BIG DAC out in the 1Q like Professor Mike suggested , it's easy for me to expect a 2Q or 3Q 2015 Release considering how complex their new Business has become .  They only have 6 Staff , they have Wives out in the shop doing stuff ( I'd dread having my Wife hanging around breaking her nails and getting dirty , there would be not one moments peace  )  .  Keep your fingers crossed that no major Calamity befalls our Hero .   I marvel at how well these guys are keeping the wheels from falling off .  
  Baldr's Big DAC is the most complex item they will be offering , the parts are gonna be costly so there's gonna be a large up-front cash outlay .  Lota-eggs in one basket with YGGY .

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #3,925 of 9,484
  Yggy NEWS !  

These guys gotta set up the new Shop , get things sorted out , get some bills paid , buy some 10,000 sq.ft. worth of infrastructure , fixturing and more personnel , all of it running properly .  That Integrated is a complex piece that hasn't been durability proved yet .
  They may not get the BIG DAC out in the 1Q like Professor Mike suggested , it's easy for me to expect a 2Q or 3Q 2015 Release considering how complex their new Business has become .  They only have 6 Staff , they have Wives out in the shop doing stuff ( I'd dread having my Wife hanging around breaking her nails and getting dirty , there would be not one moments peace  )  .  Keep your fingers crossed that no major Calamity befalls our Hero .   I marvel at how well these guys are keeping the wheels from falling off .  
  Baldr's Big DAC is the most complex item they will be offering , the parts are gonna be costly so there's gonna be a large up-front cash outlay .  Lota-eggs in one basket with YGGY .

Tony in Michigan 

Yep.  Don't care how long this takes.  Gives me more time to save for it!

It's not like it's the "Schiit-Pulse" and we already ponied up the $$$ for it already...

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #3,926 of 9,484
  There are papers on stuff like that.

No public papers per se, more like various informed opinions, generally biased toward particular DAC products.

Multiple parallel stacking of the Yggy DAC chip per each channel may be further complicated by its voltage output, instead of the additive current outputs argument.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #3,927 of 9,484
  Yggy NEWS !  

Tony in Michigan 

Next summer Olympics?

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #3,928 of 9,484
  Maybe one can allow Mike to contribute his thoughts on the subject, if he's so inclined, before imposing self-annointed censorship.  Just a thought.

He is somewhat of an authority. 

Yep.  Mike is.  What you said, though, was essentially, "I heard about a thing.  Hey Mike!! MIKE!!  Have you heard about this thing, and when will you be changing your thing to implement the thing I heard?!?"

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #3,930 of 9,484
Yep.  Mike is.  What you said, though, was essentially, "I heard about a thing.  Hey Mike!! MIKE!!  Have you heard about this thing, and when will you be changing your thing to implement the thing I heard?!?"

Yes. Paralleling DACs is nothing new. I'm fairly sure Mike already knows about this technique! :D

If he decides not to parallel two DACs, or chooses to use 2 per channel or 8 per channel, he will have good reasons (cost, heat, timing issues etc).

But how about it Mike ? However many DACs you now use, would you consider doubling them? If you quad them, you have an almost guaranteed sale ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back