New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Nov 8, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #3,646 of 9,484
Amps break, especially brand new highly complex designs that are still in their public beta period.  That's what beta testing is all about: trying to break it so the manufacturer can sort out why.  Users will always do things to and with their gear that designers and test engineers don't anticipate.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #3,647 of 9,484

goldendarko,

You did the right thing.  If you can come on here and tells us all the good to great things about the amp, you should be able to come on here and tell us the bad things as well.  In my mind, you did the right thing..

Agree, sick of the over-positive/hyped BS on here sometimes. Mention the bad stuff honestly, and if they give you great service and repair your gear come back and say how great that was too :)

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #3,649 of 9,484
Honestly, if only one Beta failed, that's pretty damn good!

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #3,650 of 9,484

I second this recommendation.  Very nice craftsmanship at a reasonable cost.  I went with black walnut.

Received the shipping notice on my Rag, should have it next Thursday!  Just in time to settle in for the weekend.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3,651 of 9,484
Honestly, if only one Beta failed, that's pretty damn good!

The Internet has pretty nasty amplifying effect on negative reviews, even if it's just one of many. That's what Maxvla was warning about.

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3,652 of 9,484
The Internet has pretty nasty amplifying effect on negative reviews, even if it's just one of many. That's what Maxvla was warning about.

Noted,
But with respect, the net also can have a big amplifying effect on positive reviews.

Honestly, I am very impressed by what read WRT to the "Rag" on this thread.
They have done a heck of a job creating a very versatile integrated amp dedicated to both speaker and headphone use.
:D
Call me very impressed!

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #3,654 of 9,484
Sort of, not really, but kind of in a small way on-topic, I heard the KEF LS50 for the first time today. Sadly not with the Ragnarok - double sadly as I want to hear the Rag with headphones too... (It was a Marantz amplifier at the KEF Hong Kong dealer.)

Oh my goodness. I see why everyone wants to hook these up to the Rag. Centred between those speakers creates the most unbelievable sweeping soundstage. The speakers disappear and the vocals come out of nowhere. It is spectacular.

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3,655 of 9,484
True.

And I obviously have spent too much time round hospitals...apple earbuds??? I thought she was wearing a stethoscope as some part of Schiit's rigorous production process.

Nice to see pictures of Rina happily at work - she is a delightful lady.

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #3,657 of 9,484
Over the top? No. It's about being a responsible adult. There is more at stake here than someone's lost amplifier joy. A small post about a smoking amp can figuratively start a fire that has massive repercussions.

He agreed to test the Ragnarok. This comes with certain expectations from the manufacturer, such as being the first to know and being given a chance to make good on the failure. If I were in his shoes, with a beta unit that failed, I would have contacted Schiit and had the matter resolved one way or another. If the failure was systematic, and thus applying to more than my unit, Schiit would issue a recall if necessary. There is no reason for him to create panic when he doesn't have the facts of what happened.

First paragraph: 1) add accelerant. Done. :wink:

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #3,658 of 9,484

goldendarko,

You did the right thing.  If you can come on here and tells us all the good to great things about the amp, you should be able to come on here and tell us the bad things as well.  In my mind, you did the right thing..

Agree, sick of the over-positive/hyped BS on here sometimes. Mention the bad stuff honestly, and if they give you great service and repair your gear come back and say how great that was too :)

OT but did you notice that appreciation threads are depreciated and have in many cases been re-named to impressions threads instead?

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #3,659 of 9,484
All this blown out of proportion. It was a beta amp release for the specific purpose of ferret out any issues. It was offered for $200 less than retail. BETA is understood to be under those conditions. It will be resolved satisfactorily and life will go on. Most will like the amp maybe some don't. Whatever just let it go already.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #3,660 of 9,484
Yep, no need for accusations nor defense.

The beta amp had a problem, unknown at this time. We'll see what's going on (I'm quite curious) and run the internal logs on the microprocessor to see if that provides any clue as to why it happened. The amp will be shipped back quickly, and in fine shape--standard Schiit customer service.

Or, if this is truly upsetting, no problem with extending the 100% money-back and keeping the amp on our side. I'd like to have a Ragnarok personally. Neither Mike nor I have a personal Ragnarok, as we are concentrating on shipping the current order slate.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back