New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Sep 19, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #2,836 of 9,484

Would you say SE is still good? Having read your other impressions elsewhere I realize the 'magic' is in balanced, but is it still a pretty nice amp out of SE?

The SE is certainly very good, better than my Burson Conductor which was SE output only too, but if you are considering this amp, I assure you it is definately worth it to invest in any balanced cable because that's where the "magic" is as you stated, much better soundstage, almost 3D like from the balanced output.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #2,837 of 9,484
In general, I don't write formal lengthy reviews anymore... just stream of consciousness stuff, or short to-the-point comments which I like to hide in the middle of threads.

Rag is better than Mojo on a relative basis as follows: 1) More clarity. Hard to believe, but in comparison, Mojo has a low level veil or fog around the upper bass / lower mids; 2) Silkier, more slippery, more liquid treble. Mojo's treble sounds a bit staticky, jumpy, unrefined, grainy; Rag is the least grainy amp I have heard tube or SS; 3) Deeper more complex stage (both Mojo is more upfront and one dimensional), this openness to infinity, better sense of space; 4) Cleaner faster transients; better separation, layering - sort of this inter-instrument clarity; 6) Does not require one hour plus warmup like Mojo - Mojo can be aggressive when not warmed up. Rag is ready to go in five minutes; 7) Better reproduction of bass texture. Mojo has heavier bass; Rag bass is subdued, but slams just as hard when recording calls for it; 8) More resolving of low level information; also being able to differentiate tiny changes in volume. This last one of course will be heavily dependent upon rest of gear. Rag is the most resolving SS amp I've ever heard. The presentation of detail is also not in your face. It's subtle - real high resolution instead of bad photoshop oversharpening filter. The microdynamic capability and treble smoothness of the Rag makes it a very seductive listen. 

Rag got super hot during recent heatwave of death last week where I live - volume knob was slightly uncomfortable. Now that things have cooled down, volume knob is warm but OK - no different from Mojo.

No hum. I use power isolation bricks. My Mojo hums without the power isolation bricks because I have LEDs, dimmers, ballasts, etc. all sort of crap in my house. I'll try the Rag without the power isolation bricks to see what happens.

With speakers the Rag is fantastic. I have three pairs right now. I designed all my speakers to be powered with low-power tube amps. I actually like the Rag just as much as the tube amps, but for different reasons. I tend prefer the Rag more with the ones on the lower efficiency dipoles and BLHs. I prefer the tube amp with the front horns. But honestly, just a slightly different sound - going back and forth every other day.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #2,838 of 9,484
So how do you think
Great review! I have the LCD-3f's as well and liked your impressions. Definitely interested in it. Read that you tried it with the Lyr but did you ever get to check it out with the Mjolnir? Wondering how it compares with the Rag. Obviously better but how much better?

To put things lightly, Rag makes Mojo ain't so great anymore. Feel free to ask for details. Also, to get max SQ, I wouldn't recommend the SE outs.
the Rag would sound with Gungnir?

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #2,839 of 9,484
It's fine with Gungnir so long as you like Gungnir's sound. Rag out-resolves Gungnir though. Schiit should make a DAC to go with the Rag.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #2,840 of 9,484
  It's fine with Gungnir so long as you like Gungnir's sound. Rag out-resolves Gungnir though. Schiit should make a DAC to go with the Rag.

Yeah...  I wonder if they have something in works... 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,842 of 9,484
That's just awesome. Thanks Purrin. Looks like all the impressions here and remarks from vendors who've heard the amp I've talked to down here in DC at the Capital Audiofest two months ago all point to this being a phenomenal amp.
Schiit's got a winner. All the hard work and effort Mike and Jason put into this will finally pay off.

Now if the upcoming Yggy can hang, they will give all the high end amp & dac retailers a run for their money.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2,844 of 9,484
In general, I don't write formal lengthy reviews anymore... just stream of consciousness stuff, or short to-the-point comments which I like to hide in the middle of threads.

Rag is better than Mojo on a relative basis as follows: 1) More clarity. Hard to believe, but in comparison, Mojo has a low level veil or fog around the upper bass / lower mids; 2) Silkier, more slippery, more liquid treble. Mojo's treble sounds a bit staticky, jumpy, unrefined, grainy; Rag is the least grainy amp I have heard tube or SS; 3) Deeper more complex stage (both Mojo is more upfront and one dimensional), this openness to infinity, better sense of space; 4) Cleaner faster transients; better separation, layering - sort of this inter-instrument clarity; 6) Does not require one hour plus warmup like Mojo - Mojo can be aggressive when not warmed up. Rag is ready to go in five minutes; 7) Better reproduction of bass texture. Mojo has heavier bass; Rag bass is subdued, but slams just as hard when recording calls for it; 8) More resolving of low level information; also being able to differentiate tiny changes in volume. This last one of course will be heavily dependent upon rest of gear. Rag is the most resolving SS amp I've ever heard. The presentation of detail is also not in your face. It's subtle - real high resolution instead of bad photoshop oversharpening filter. The microdynamic capability and treble smoothness of the Rag makes it a very seductive listen. 

Rag got super hot during recent heatwave of death last week where I live - volume knob was slightly uncomfortable. Now that things have cooled down, volume knob is warm but OK - no different from Mojo.

No hum. I use power isolation bricks. My Mojo hums without the power isolation bricks because I have LEDs, dimmers, ballasts, etc. all sort of crap in my house. I'll try the Rag without the power isolation bricks to see what happens.

With speakers the Rag is fantastic. I have three pairs right now. I designed all my speakers to be powered with low-power tube amps. I actually like the Rag just as much as the tube amps, but for different reasons. I tend prefer the Rag more with the ones on the lower efficiency dipoles and BLHs. I prefer the tube amp with the front horns. But honestly, just a slightly different sound - going back and forth every other day.

Great review sir, I like how you contrasted the Ragnarok with the Mjolnir. Hope you enjoy some great tunes through that amazing amp.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #2,845 of 9,484
That's just awesome. Thanks Purrin. Looks like all the impressions here and remarks from vendors who've heard the amp I've talked to down here in DC at the Capital Audiofest two months ago all point to this being a phenomenal amp.

Schiit's got a winner. All the hard work and effort Mike and Jason put into this will finally pay off.

Now if the upcoming Yggy can hang, they will give all the high end amp & dac retailers a run for their money.

I haven't had a chance to hear it but I think this might compare well to something like the Auralic Taurus, while being a little more affordable and having the added bonus of powering speakers as well. The Taurus was already somewhat the value champion of high end amps but I think the Rag may have taken it's place. I plan to check out the Taurus (along with the Studio Six) in December when I travel to Portland, can see how they stack up then.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #2,846 of 9,484

The SE is certainly very good, better than my Burson Conductor which was SE output only too, but if you are considering this amp, I assure you it is definately worth it to invest in any balanced cable because that's where the "magic" is as you stated, much better soundstage, almost 3D like from the balanced output.

Thanks. I wish I was considering the amp, but budget says...at least not for a good while. Still, wanted to confirm that it was more "SE is good, balanced is even better" and not "SE is crap, only use balanced"

If I'm ever able to afford it I'm sure I'll be able to get some balanced cables as well.

And here I was going to give you a thumbs up, having forgotten that you lost that option. Well, thanks for the further impressions anyways!

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #2,847 of 9,484

Thanks. I wish I was considering the amp, but budget says...at least not for a good while. Still, wanted to confirm that it was more "SE is good, balanced is even better" and not "SE is crap, only use balanced"

SE still maintains that smoothness, but everything get taken down notch. Resolving power, separation, liveliness, clarity, etc. It's more like balanced is so much better that you don't want to use SE. That is a legit downside to the circlotron design. There's extra circuitry after the circlotron output to sum the signal. As well as raising source impedance and lowering power, the sound quality does get degraded. As I have other balanced amps, I've already prepared for this and had a bunch of 4-pin XLRs plugs lying around. In fact, I re-terminated two of my headphones last night. SE wasn't cutting it. But I'm a nut-job when it comes to stuff like this.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #2,848 of 9,484
Edit - Sorry - 1699 for the Rag and I think the Mk II Taurus still has a slightly higher sticker price - point taken. Guess all the talk about the yggy's price threw me off track. 

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #2,849 of 9,484

Not too mention those of us who got in the Beta for only $1500 :) I would be curious to know what percentage of beta testers end up keeping theirs, I think it would be hard to send it back after hearing it work its magic.

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #2,850 of 9,484

Not too mention those of us who got in the Beta for only $1500
smily_headphones1.gif
I would be curious to know what percentage of beta testers end up keeping theirs, I think it would be hard to send it back after hearing it work its magic.

Ancient history - the sticker is 1699, but that's not far off Jason's initial estimate of 1400-1600USD, esp given the problems they had getting the amp ready for prime time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back