New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Sep 11, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #2,822 of 9,484
Ah I see, that is unfortunate.

Right now my DAC is es9016 and is DSD/DOP ready, my Network player is not, my plan is to upgrade the DAC and Network player at the same time. I have choices of network player but only Acuralic Arise equipped with USB, I hope this is the reason to eliminate other candidates in my list. Besides, I intend to stay with full balanced down the road.

But base on the damage report after the flood, Loki is a slow moving item, so I assume there won't be Loki2 with XLR and SPDIF down the road, so that is a dead-end for me.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #2,823 of 9,484
Here's a picture of the interior without the casing.

Link

Wow.  My demo had this inside.

LHCSauron.jpg~c200

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #2,824 of 9,484
Sep 14, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #2,825 of 9,484
  There is certainly some sad truth to the point estreeter is making.  Although we all applaud schiit for being so price conscious and making great audio products available to the masses, some of their products really may not be receiving the respect they deserve for that very reason.  For example, if you look at the comments by veteran EE's on one of those other "unmentionable" headphone sites, they suggest the mjolnir is a more sophisticated and transparent amp than the Lau.  But here on head-fi, because the latter costs 10x as much, we celebrate the **** out of it.  The fallacy that quality and performance bear a direct relationship to price is a persistent devil.

Back on topic, I'm very much looking forward to hearing a yggy, whenever it is ultimately ready to be released into the wild, and remain hopeful that the ultimate pricing will not cause my wife to attempt to exercise a veto.   

I have the Gungnir (Gen2 USB) and the Mjolnir and hafta say they sound fantastic with my LCD-X phones. Yeah I don't 12 grand tied up in them but they still sound awesome. Considering upgrades and than have to ask if upgrading going to really increase sound quality by a significant amount? Waiting on several real-world reviews of the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil to see what others find out... And I applaud Schiit keeping pricing as reasonable as possible because even if a person does have millions of dollars to blow, why do that when great value is available for a reasonable price?

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #2,827 of 9,484
Great review! Would you mind giving some more info on how your Shure IEMS sounded? How was the noise floor with the RAG?

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #2,828 of 9,484
They sounded great with the Rag, though honestly I don't think the difference was nearly as significant as with the LCD-3 and Alpha Dogs improvements over my portable rig (X5/E12) The main differences was some increased resolution in the treble range and a slightly wider soundstage. Bass was already excellent with my portable stack, and was also excellent with the Ragnarok. That being said, I would definately recommend using the single ended output with any IEM's, and making sure it's on low gain and the volume is way down. Even on low gain it puts out a lot of juice.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #2,829 of 9,484

Great review! I have the LCD-3f's as well and liked your impressions. Definitely interested in it. Read that you tried it with the Lyr but did you ever get to check it out with the Mjolnir? Wondering how it compares with the Rag. Obviously better but how much better?

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #2,830 of 9,484
Unfortunately I never got to try them with the mojo so I can't speak to that

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #2,831 of 9,484
Appreciate the review, goldendarko - I imagine that it's getting a lot of hits from all over the world. I admit that I was part of the initial fanboy love-in for the Rag but my focus has shifted completely to Yggy, There are certain practicalities associated with living in the tropics and owning an amp that doubles as a space heater - probably fantastic in northern Maine but not so great in a location where the temperature varies between 20 and 34 deg C all year long. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #2,833 of 9,484
Great review! I have the LCD-3f's as well and liked your impressions. Definitely interested in it. Read that you tried it with the Lyr but did you ever get to check it out with the Mjolnir? Wondering how it compares with the Rag. Obviously better but how much better?

To put things lightly, Rag makes Mojo ain't so great anymore. Feel free to ask for details. Also, to get max SQ, I wouldn't recommend the SE outs.

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #2,834 of 9,484

To put things lightly, Rag makes Mojo ain't so great anymore. Feel free to ask for details. Also, to get max SQ, I wouldn't recommend the SE outs.

Would you say SE is still good? Having read your other impressions elsewhere I realize the 'magic' is in balanced, but is it still a pretty nice amp out of SE?

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #2,835 of 9,484

Details please. I'd love to know what your impressions were comparing the two. Does your Rag get super hot (which I'm sure it's supposed to be) and hummed when it was off like Goldendarko's? How was it with speakers? I'm sure you'll probably do a review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back