New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 24, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,234 of 9,484
I believe so. The only impression I've read so far is that it is so transparent that the amp "sounds" like its not even there.

That's the way it's supposed to be isn't it?

Now... how does the yggdrasil sound then...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #1,238 of 9,484
  Will it be possible to run Ragnarok in some kind of preamp only mode?  This would be nice for sending audio to an external amplifier when not wanting to use the speaker/headphone amp built in.  If you have to power up the power-amp section, it would be cool to be able to disable the speaker outputs and then put open-load protection on the headphone out.  This way, you can still use the amp as a preamp/source selector only.  I know this could easily be done with a dedicated preamp, but it would be really cool to find an integrated amplifier that I could use to power my speakers, but also be able to send audio to my Woo with or without speakers enabled (basically, I want to rely on my speakers to power my headphones or vice-versa; I wan't to be able to have one on, or both on in any combination I might want at a given time).

It's going to come down to how good the preamp is, but Marantz let you do this in a number of models, from their entry-level HT amp to their Reference series 2-channel amps. Unfortunately, in the space between those two the only 2-channel integrated seems to be the PM8004 - from memory, more expensive than the projected price of the Ragnarok.

I would be very surprised if Jason is willing to add 'Pre Out' functionality to the Ragnarok, but then Schiit has surprised us all in the past.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #1,241 of 9,484

It's going to come down to how good the preamp is, but Marantz let you do this in a number of models, from their entry-level HT amp to their Reference series 2-channel amps. Unfortunately, in the space between those two the only 2-channel integrated seems to be the PM8004 - from memory, more expensive than the projected price of the Ragnarok.

I would be very surprised if Jason is willing to add 'Pre Out' functionality to the Ragnarok, but then Schiit has surprised us all in the past.

Ragnarok has full preamp outputs--balanced and single-ended. As well as 5 inputs, two balanced and three single-ended. And single-ended and balanced headphone outs. And three gain levels--20, 7, and 2 in balanced, 10, 3.5, and 1 in SE.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,242 of 9,484
Apologies for muddying the waters - per Stalker's OP from Dec, 2013:

RAGNAROK:

"Ragnarok is the world’s first universal amplifier, fully capable of powering everything from ultra-sensitive IEMs to loudspeakers. With 100WPC RMS into 4 ohms, 3 selectable gains, a relay-switched stepped attenuator volume control, and Crossfet™ circlotron-style output topology, Ragnarok befits its name—in Norse legend, Ragnarok was the “end of the world.”

Power Output: 100W into 4 ohms, 60W into 8 ohms, 15W into 32 ohms, 9.6W into 50 ohms, 1.6W into 300 ohms, 800mW into 600 ohms
Inputs: 2 balanced, 3 single-ended stereo inputs
Outputs: speaker terminals, 4-pin balanced XLR headphone, TRS unbalanced headphone, balanced and unbalanced preamp outs
Gain: selectable gain of 20, 7, or 1
Volume: (64) 1.25dB steps via relay-switched stepped attenuator
Topology: Fully discrete Crossfet™ circlotron-style stage with no caps in the signal path and no DC servos, all solid state
Management: microprocessor control of quiescent current and DC levels, with monitoring of all fault conditions
Power Supply: 400VA transformer with 4 separate circlotron output rails, over 100,000uF filter capacitance total
Size & Weight: 16 x 12 x 3.875”, 30 lbs
Estimated Price & Availability: $1400-1600, late 2013"

No need to dash down to a Marantz dealership just yet  :D

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,244 of 9,484
Maybe this will clear some things up:

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back