New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Feb 25, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #9,317 of 9,484
I'm new to The Schiit brand, recently buying a Jot and Bimby and loving them both. I started to think of buying a Schiit 2 channel stereo system and the Rag looked perfect - except for the lack of a remote!!! I'm sure the topic has been beat to death but I wanted to share my feedback with Schiit. If the Rag had a volume control, I'd have pulled the trigger tonight on one (along with a Gungnir MB). I don't need a fancy remote - it only needs to control volume and mute - but not having one is a deal breaker.

I was hoping the new 2 channel stereo products could fill the gap since the preamps do have remotes - but alas, there are no headphone outs on the preamp or amp.

I've gone without a stereo system for a few years now, so I guess I can be patient for a Ragnorok 2 to hopefully be released with a remote.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #9,318 of 9,484
I'm new to The Schiit brand, recently buying a Jot and Bimby and loving them both. I started to think of buying a Schiit 2 channel stereo system and the Rag looked perfect - except for the lack of a remote!!! I'm sure the topic has been beat to death but I wanted to share my feedback with Schiit. If the Rag had a volume control, I'd have pulled the trigger tonight on one (along with a Gungnir MB). I don't need a fancy remote - it only needs to control volume and mute - but not having one is a deal breaker.

I was hoping the new 2 channel stereo products could fill the gap since the preamps do have remotes - but alas, there are no headphone outs on the preamp or amp.

I've gone without a stereo system for a few years now, so I guess I can be patient for a Ragnorok 2 to hopefully be released with a remote.

Why not go with this: Bimby -> Freya (remote control) -> Jot

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #9,321 of 9,484
Whats wrong with using the volume knob? Just set it at a good volume and leave it there is all I ever did with my Rag.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #9,322 of 9,484
Ragnarok HAS a volume control.  Just not a remote control.  That's because it was designed to be an end-game headphone amplifier.  It can also drive speakers, but it was designed for headphones first.   If you need remote volume control and want to use Schiit products, you need one of their preamps.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #9,323 of 9,484
God, I must be getting really old. I remember when you used to have to get up from the couch, walk all the way across the room, just to change the channel on the TV. Boy, those were the dark ages.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #9,324 of 9,484
  God, I must be getting really old. I remember when you used to have to get up from the couch, walk all the way across the room, just to change the channel on the TV. Boy, those were the dark ages.
very_evil_smiley.gif

And I remember when you had to fiddle with the choke to get your car started on a cold morning; or go outside and pick the newspaper out of the rosebushes to find out what was happening in the world; or carry around a boombox the size of a suitcase if you wanted portable music. The world moves on.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #9,325 of 9,484
Yggdrasil question for Mike Moffatt @Baldr:  On one of my systems I am using a small Linux-based player (Sonore Sonic Orbiter SE) connected to the Yggdrasil via optical S/PDIF.  It has worked flawlessly for many months.  Yesterday I had to remove the Sonore and after reinstallation, now the "buy better gear" light is on.  The system still sounds good but I have a couple questions.

First, what exactly makes the Adapticlock system shift from VCXO to VCO mode, so I can try to figure out what I did that caused this change?
And second, what exactly is "lower quality" about this mode, as it still sounds pretty identical to the way it sounded before? Is there anything that might cause this based on simply unplugging and reconnecting the optical cable?  I did not power off the Yggdrasil during the change, by the way, so hopefully I did not damage it?  Besides using a different input type what suggestions might you have?

I plan to take the Sonic Orbiter apart and try to find if maybe I tweaked a cable or dislodged a card in the computer or something.Or maybe I need to reflash the software.  Just wanted a little information to help me know what to look for.  Thanks!

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #9,327 of 9,484
  Have you tried shutting down and starting Yggy? I'm betting that does it.

Yea, thanks for the suggestion, but I did try that after I noted the light had come on.  Power cycle did nothing to change it.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #9,328 of 9,484
  First, what exactly makes the Adapticlock system shift from VCXO to VCO mode, so I can try to figure out what I did that caused this change?
And second, what exactly is "lower quality" about this mode, as it still sounds pretty identical to the way it sounded before?

1.  The VCXO will attempt to lock the input word clock multiple to within a very few hundred ppm at most by dragging the inflexible but very stable crystal around.  Should that fail, an error output from the VCXO triggers a VCO of much wider range (2) albeit less stable than a crystal to lock - the BBG light then lights.

I hope this is helpful.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 29, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #9,329 of 9,484
  1.  The VCXO will attempt to lock the input word clock multiple to within a very few hundred ppm at most by dragging the inflexible but very stable crystal around.  Should that fail, an error output from the VCXO triggers a VCO of much wider range (2) albeit less stable than a crystal to lock - the BBG light then lights.

I hope this is helpful.

​I am familiar with tuning a VCO using varactors with the output feeding a PLL circuit...  Are you saying there is some sort of voltage-controlled physical change to the crystal position that affects tuning frequency?  Nah, that can't be what you mean... Damn it's been a long time since I've thought about VCO theory.  I will go read up.  In any case I assume the result in digital audio of the difference you are describing is an increase in jitter due to less accuracy in the clock ferequency?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back