New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Oct 10, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #9,286 of 9,484
So just went to listen to some music tonight after being without power for the past day (hurricane Matthew) and everything sounded like *****. Though something was wrong but then i realized the Yggy has been off for a day and a half. That warm up equilibrium is no joke!

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #9,287 of 9,484
Alright guys, what digital interconnect do you use between your CD transport and your Yiggy?

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #9,289 of 9,484
Oct 18, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #9,290 of 9,484
I am slowly rewiring my system. I have a Wywires Platinum coax digital cable coming for Yiggy and my Oppo 83. I have replaced all my power cords with TG Audio SLVR for Oppo and Yiggy and a 688 for the Ragg per instructions from Frank. Next month I will replace my balanced interconnect between Yiggy and Ragg with Wywires Platinum from their standard wire

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #9,291 of 9,484
If you are not using a high quality digital interconnect into your Yggy, you are not getting what you paid for. I have been using a decent Stereovox coax digital cable feeding my Yggy from my Oppo 83  player. sounded nice and I was happy. Tonight I switched the Stereovox out for a Wywires Platinum coax digital cable and got a component grade improvement, and its not even broken in. More deeper better defined bass, crisp vocals, very realistic tone and even more detail. I just can not wait for break in to be done.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #9,293 of 9,484
I concur.
However in my case it was a 110Ω balanced AES cable and the digital path was AES.

I went from 50¢/ft to $34/ft and the differences were immediately apparent.
And at these frequencies, the metallurgy makes an even greater difference, than it does in the audio bandwidth.

JJ

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #9,294 of 9,484
Has anyone compared the Ragnarok to old solid state amplifiers like the BETA 22?

I have a balanced B22 and am curious to how it fairs with this unit. I may purchase one soon for comparison.

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #9,295 of 9,484
I just got this amp today, and wow I did not expect it to be that big and heavy! Poor mailman haha!

Anyway, so I'm enjoying this, originally I set the gain to the middle and really loved how it sounded. But after a few tracks, I noticed cracks and beeps on the music. So I set the gain to the lowest and there were no problem. But then I have to crank up the volume quite high about 3 o clock. But then I tried the middle gain again, and there was no cracks or beeps! Is it an amp problem or dac?

Nov 24, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #9,296 of 9,484
  I just got this amp today, and wow I did not expect it to be that big and heavy! Poor mailman haha!

Anyway, so I'm enjoying this, originally I set the gain to the middle and really loved how it sounded. But after a few tracks, I noticed cracks and beeps on the music. So I set the gain to the lowest and there were no problem. But then I have to crank up the volume quite high about 3 o clock. But then I tried the middle gain again, and there was no cracks or beeps! Is it an amp problem or dac?

The cracks and beeps were likely from your source, but it'd be hard for any of us to say for sure :)

I haven't heard anyone else report that sort of issue with the Ragnarok at least.

Nov 24, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #9,297 of 9,484
One thing to note.
It does not matter where the volume control winds up.
Since it's a resistor ladder all positions are equal in terms of channel balancing and precision etc.

It took me a while to get over the 'need' to keep the vol control in the 'sweet spot' (10:30 - 2:30) because everywhere is the sweet spot.

JJ

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #9,298 of 9,484

The cracks and beeps were likely from your source, but it'd be hard for any of us to say for sure :)

I haven't heard anyone else report that sort of issue with the Ragnarok at least.

It probably is, I haven't had this problem in this 2 days of listening!

One thing to note.
It does not matter where the volume control winds up.
Since it's a resistor ladder all positions are equal in terms of channel balancing and precision etc.

It took me a while to get over the 'need' to keep the vol control in the 'sweet spot' (10:30 - 2:30) because everywhere is the sweet spot.

JJ

Thanks for that, learnt something new! But what about mid gain sounding fuller and weightier than low gain, is it just my mind acting up? I haven't compared it extensively yet, still busy enjoying music for now! But maybe you have insight on this one as well?

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #9,299 of 9,484
snip Thanks for that, learnt something new! But what about mid gain sounding fuller and weightier than low gain, is it just my mind acting up? I haven't compared it extensively yet, still busy enjoying music for now! But maybe you have insight on this one as well?

One thing I have noticed is it can take 'several' hours for any gain stage to reach its best SQ.

And having said that, after experimenting with all 3 gain modes, I too prefer to use gain-2 and my Moar knob sometimes gets twisted all the way up to 3:00.
But the usable settings (while focusing on listening) are in the 12 to 3 span of the 'Big Knob'.

Also it's interesting (at least to me) that I can still hear the music with the Moar knob all the way down on its stop at 7:00.
That wasn't always the case.

JJ

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #9,300 of 9,484
Well I have done it. I have wired my Schiit Stack from end to end with great sounding cables. Power cords are TG SLVR on Yiggy and Oppo 83. Ragg got a TG 688 per Frank at TG. Next is a Wywires Patinum coax digital cable from Oppo to Yiggy. From Yiggy to Ragg are balanced Wywires Platinum interconnects. Wywires Platinum headphone cable to Mr Speakers Ether Flow°
Just unbelievable sound and stage. Guys, it don't get no better than this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back