New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 2, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #7,891 of 9,484
I don't have hums or hiss when I listen to music, very clean. I'm just curious as to why there's still sound coming through the SE/Balanced out when the knob is at "zero". I guess that's the normal behaviour!

Yes, mine does that, as well, though I never noticed it.
  So, here's my question to you guys.  What would upgrading my Mjolnir to perhaps a Ragnarok do for me?  I've teetered back and forth between a couple tube amps (namely Valhalla2 and Lyr2) but my ears keep coming back to the Mjolnir, especially when running my LCD3s.  Now, I've got a few other cans and they work great for certain types of music and not others.  This system seems to do all of the above quite well.  I recall hearing at some point that the Ragnarok, while more powerful, was possibly a little smoother on the top end a tad?  That would make sense to me as it's sister is somewhat brighter than mid level DAC in the line.  Anywho, I'm looking for someone to convince me to spend even more money, though I'd have a bunch of my other gear that would no longer be required to subsidize it.

LCD-3s through the Ragnarok sound very nice. I intended for the Ragnarok to displace my WA2; but there is just something about tubes that is hard to give up. I probably listen to the Ragnarok 80% of the time.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #7,892 of 9,484
  So, here's my question to you guys.  What would upgrading my Mjolnir to perhaps a Ragnarok do for me? 

Besides more power and the ability to drive speakers, Rag is going to give you a bottom end Mj could only dream of - if you listen to electronica there is simply no comparison. Moving up to the mid-bass, Mj could be considered a tad lean and Rag is not. Though it is hardly a warm-and-cuddly amp - which is why I've kept my Lyr. Otherwise, take the sterling qualities of Mj - transparency, speed, detail, spacious soundstage, etc. - and step them up a notch. And, yes, I'd agree that Rag is a bit smoother at the top, a bit more likely to commit acts of senseless sonic beauty. But you do have to run balanced phones - the SE output SQ is compromised.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #7,893 of 9,484
 Originally Posted by jfoxvol 
  So, here's my question to you guys.  What would upgrading my Mjolnir to perhaps a Ragnarok do for me? 

You need to go big or go home.....
wink_face.gif

How can you break your wallet if you insist on being a cheapskate....?    
blink.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #7,896 of 9,484

Besides more power and the ability to drive speakers, Rag is going to give you a bottom end Mj could only dream of - if you listen to electronica there is simply no comparison. Moving up to the mid-bass, Mj could be considered a tad lean and Rag is not. Though it is hardly a warm-and-cuddly amp - which is why I've kept my Lyr. Otherwise, take the sterling qualities of Mj - transparency, speed, detail, spacious soundstage, etc. - and step them up a notch. And, yes, I'd agree that Rag is a bit smoother at the top, a bit more likely to commit acts of senseless sonic beauty. But you do have to run balanced phones - the SE output SQ is compromised.

Without getting too off topic, I have a set of HD650s that I have bought balanced cables for.  I was not a real fan of them with the Mjolnir (though that was with the Gungnir as source).  It got way too honky.  Strange midrange.  I have not tried yet with Yggy feeding it.  Has anyone run balanced HD650s into Ragnarok successfully?  I like them with the Valhalla 2 (though not with overly bright recordings - maybe it's the amp doing that) and the Lyr 2 unbalanced though. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #7,897 of 9,484
Edit :)

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #7,898 of 9,484
Hello,
I know this has been discussed, but I can't find this now.

With the Yggy, it should be left on and playing for at least a week, my question is does the amp (speakers in my case) have to be on too? Or would playing to a shut down amp still count as 'break in'?

Thank you,

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #7,899 of 9,484
Hello,
I know this has been discussed, but I can't find this now.

With the Yggy, it should be left on and playing for at least a week, my question is does the amp (speakers in my case) have to be on too? Or would playing to a shut down amp still count as 'break in'?

Thank you,

Playing just the Yggy is fine, the amp (speakers) can be powered down. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #7,900 of 9,484
How many users have the yggy playing non-stop 24hr a day?
I end up leaving my laptop on and screen go to sleep with jriver on repeat going for weeks now..

Another point:
I feel it fully settled in AFTER second week,
Aside from sonic clarity,
I can switch between three players without any hiccups or crackles like I was having in begining.(!)
My fault for using a small netbook as a dedicated music source.

It is very very stable and polished and smooth interaction between all three players (foobar, jriver, HQplayer) on windows7.

Before this two week "barrier",
I was hearing some tiny ramdom clicks that I assumed stemmed from my tiny netbook limited memory issues,
but without doing anything it all cleared up(!)
Of course there can be a multitude of reasons, since we are talking about Windozzzzee, which kind of sucks.
I keep debating whether to switch to linux, and when I finally decided, the laptop/netbook must have got scared and decided to work perfectly now!
:p

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #7,901 of 9,484
Until now no one can write a full review about Yggy , really disappointed,All the talking about how important you warm yggy up ...well let's see your impression guys ...it's the time to reveal it .

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #7,902 of 9,484
Jun 3, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #7,903 of 9,484
  Until now no one can write a full review about Yggy , really disappointed,All the talking about how important you warm yggy up ...well let's see your impression guys ...it's the time to reveal it .

The thing is sometimes a piece of gear is so good to the listener they never bother or care writing about it, they just use and enjoy it. I know this is true for me a lot of the times.

I haven't personally heard a yggy yet (plan on auditioning one soon) but if you really want more impressions on the yggy, I would recommend PMing members that own it.

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #7,904 of 9,484

The thing is sometimes a piece of gear is so good to the listener they never bother or care writing about it, they just use and enjoy it. I know this is true for me a lot of the times.

Hahahaaa  your ears can't lie or you can't describe the sound
I see many headphoneus supremus but they are useless .

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #7,905 of 9,484
  Hahahaaa  your ears can't lie or you can't describe the sound
I see many headphoneus supremus but they are useless .

What do you mean by this?

Oh and yeah, the "headphoneus supremus" label doesn't mean squat, it's just an indication of how much someone has posted and not whether they are truly more experienced / knowledgeable etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back