New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #7,336 of 9,484
  my pal has his Yggy arrive, along with the Regen (Green) I lent him.
problem is his Yggy isn't warmed up yet- and his computer source, split cables and LPS are already delivering super clean signal to Yggy's USB receiver.
so there's not much expectation (from him) of Regen making a big difference in his chain.  and thus Wyrd likely wouldn't either.
he also tested, but didn't think Regen helped his Gungnir much- but for me, it did.
(ie.  I don't have LPS, split USB cables, or a clean source just a stock iMac, etc.)

if his time/testing changes I'll report back here.
the Wyrd/Regen results are very chain specific so guidance from others will not be a solid indicator IMHO.

BTW.. there is an overpriced upgrade to the just out Regen.. 45 bucks.. ouch.. http://uptoneaudio.com/blogs/news/20068483-usb-regen-updated-amazing-bass-all-unshipped-orders-will-be-the-latest

I gotta call Alex about that..  met him a week ago w/ John.. both great, smart guys...

Sorry about off topic..

May 12, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #7,337 of 9,484
  BTW.. there is an overpriced upgrade to the just out Regen.. 45 bucks.. ouch.. http://uptoneaudio.com/blogs/news/20068483-usb-regen-updated-amazing-bass-all-unshipped-orders-will-be-the-latest

I gotta call Alex about that..  met him a week ago w/ John.. both great, smart guys...

Sorry about off topic..

I don't consider the $45 an expensive upgrade since Alex said we can keep both units Regen Amber and Green.  albeit one usb board will need a second/DIY enclosure.
that being said, if my Yggy arrives in July likely won't need a Regen on it.... hm? 

May 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #7,338 of 9,484
  Either Yggy is still breaking in (about 260+ hrs w/ dynamic music playing), or she takes over 48 hrs to recover from being off an hour..

Or both, haha...

After the last round of comparison with the Theta, I'm starting to think there are two aspects to talk about:
- warm-up time (kind of all over the place in terms of sound changes). This has pretty much settled imo.
- new component break-in time (smaller progressive improvements)

Obviously this happened in parallel. But without unplugging my Yggdrasil and starting the whole warm-up hell over, I can't really be sure, what's what and even then not reproducible exactly. And power-off is not going to happen anytime soon, unless I have no choice.

May 12, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #7,340 of 9,484

Could someone here explain to me the "first true 20 bit" distinction with the Yggy? How does the AD5791 compare to, say, the 1704 chips that are in the Master 7?

(Note: This is a question asked out of genuine curiosity and desire to understand, not to start a debate about hi-res audio, Schiit, "fanboys," etc. that will drag on longer than conflict in the Middle East.) 
beyersmile.png

May 12, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #7,341 of 9,484

Could someone here explain to me the "first true 20 bit" distinction with the Yggy? How does the AD5791 compare to, say, the 1704 chips that are in the Master 7?

(Note: This is a question asked out of genuine curiosity and desire to understand, not to start a debate about hi-res audio, Schiit, "fanboys," etc. that will drag on longer than conflict in the Middle East.) 
beyersmile.png

Quite honestly I think this is a question for Schiit and they have addressed it, just need to search for it. You can also read the back story by baldr in the schiit happened thread.
I would not look to anyone else on this forum to answer that question without causing an argument...just sayin'
blink.gif

May 12, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #7,345 of 9,484

the AD5791 specs in its datasheet are much more convincing re 20-bit performance than the PCM1704 - the 1704 even given the slant towards dynamic spec just is a bit shy on useful performance numbers at the 20 bit level

the AD5791 however does give an awful dynamic distortion number - Mike's secret sauce on that hasn't been revealed so far

it would be interesting to see the Yggy's 24 bit sine fade linearity/THD plot as the digital level drops through -120 dB

the AP analyzers do this with internal gain switching - can see this measurement in Stereophile measurements of hi end audio DAC

a home soundcard and AV 100-1000x amp with a couple of op amps would do the job even if averaging were needed to pull the signal from the noise (yes I know how to make low enough distortion clipping/limiting amps to protect the soundcard input)

maybe we will eventually get higher res measurements from a AP analyzer or even a teardown/internal tour with 'scope pics one day

May 12, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #7,346 of 9,484

beyersmile.png

"First true 20-bit" is just marketing speak (Schiit or Analog Devices) for the AD5791 DAC chip being super linear all the way down to the 20th bit.  R2R DAC chips historically have not been all that linear at the bottom and the lowest ladder rung changes are in the thermal noise of the system at the number of bits increase.  That is why the PCM1704UK is so expensive as lasers are used to trim ladder down to incredible small levels but small changes in voltage, temperature, or other factors in the real world applications can throw off linearity at this minute level.  Schiit's position is there is not much going on down there that can be retrieved and useful so why not use a really good 20-bit DAC chip with guaranteed performance.   Maybe someone else can explain better. 

My first Sony CD player (1983) had a single 14-bit DAC but I could hear a lot of low level information, reverb tails, etc.  It was much better than the later 1-bit DAC chips that followed in the late 80s.  My hearing is probably 7-bits now anyway.
wink_face.gif

May 12, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #7,347 of 9,484
  And I have one operational issue with Yggy.  When changing songs with different sampling rates the mute relay kicks in at the start of the next song cutting off 1/2 second of the intro.  It is annoying when running a jukebox with a varied music sources.

Your music player might have a setting for this.  In JRiver Media Center, it's an audio option called "Play Silence At Startup For Hardware Synchronization".  It's configurable to 1/4 second, 1/2, 1, 2, etc.  It plays that amount of "no sound" when it starts, OR when you change sample rates being fed to the DAC.  That would fix your problem perfectly I believe.

Brian.

May 12, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #7,348 of 9,484

Your music player might have a setting for this.  In JRiver Media Center, it's an audio option called "Play Silence At Startup For Hardware Synchronization".  It's configurable to 1/4 second, 1/2, 1, 2, etc.  It plays that amount of "no sound" when it starts, OR when you change sample rates being fed to the DAC.  That would fix your problem perfectly I believe.

Brian.

Thanks Brian.  I'll have to look for something like that in Foobar2000.

May 12, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #7,350 of 9,484
^ I'm surprised no-one started a separate Yggdrasil impressions thread. I would've...but I figured the honor should go to an owner.

But don't let me stop you :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back