New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 12, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #7,306 of 9,484
@gulbuddin it's fine to not like a product as long as you explain why you didn't like the product and give evidence to support your decision or thoughts. To help you along let me ask you to answer a few questions:

1. How long have you owned and used the Yggy and in what chain of products?
2. What is it about the Yggy sound presentation do you dislike?
3. What other product(s) are you using as your baseline for good sound?
4. How is the sound of said good product different from the Yggy sound?

I think if you are able to answer these questions your fellow headfiers will have a better understanding of where you are coming from :wink:

And as always, happy listening.

You can't be serious?

May 12, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #7,307 of 9,484
  3 things.

It draws ≈ 25watts when idling,  That is a low enough power draw for this type of device.
At least for me.

This is HeadFi where we 'mostly' deal with near field listening situations, as in within arms reach.
And if using a cell phone or tablet could be considered acceptable, then run JRiver and use JRemote for control of the player.
My iPad works very well from the bathroom, thank you very much…
atsmile.gif

Lastly…
"Inkier basses, a tad liquid on the top end, especially with tubes..
About the youtube review unfortunately all the posts of that guy are gone off the thread."

Do you have his youtube info or a link to his reviews?

And by "liquid on the top end" do you mean the top end of the bass or like 10KHz and higher?

I ask because the bass I now enjoy is the best bass I have ever heard.
And yes it can't match speakers DONE CORRECTLY.

But I have subsonic bass response out of my 800's and getting any speaker system/room to reach these lowest of the low end frequencies is extremely rare and extremely expensive.
Until you have heard this type of acoustic presentation what this yeilds may not mean much, nor might you have a reference to this level of detail at these subharmonic frequencies.
Or not…

But I have never heard bass with this much range and depth with inner definition, power, speed, and harmonic cohesion, coherance and coupling before.  
Well once before, sorta, decades ago.

JJ

Agreed on the power draw… no biggie… I always leave DACs on 24/7 anyway… btw… the Yggy takes a looooong time to recover from being off for almost an hour… I'd say over 24 hrs...

My speakers are full range…. I am completely unfamiliar w/ DACs in this price range, however of the three I've owned (in the 10-20K range), they all produced full range music...

The last one I owned, & have another one borrowed for the moment (MSB Analog), produces fantastic bass, albeit at a much higher price point… 

The reason I mentioned this, is that Yggy has been MEGA-hyped as a giant killer, especially against the Analog DAC… 

In my system… it is not so far… although it is very fantastic… w/ about 260 hrs… I'm still looking for it to have some more ease & flow like the Analog… which 'seems' to have just as much detail… just in a more organic manner….

These are NOT final conclusions… still have a day or so for trial period…  I'm on the fence… 

For this DAC, w/ all the hype, & the lengthy break-in period… it should be a 30 day return policy imho..

Have more ears coming over today & tomorrow & listening most of the days...

David

May 12, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #7,309 of 9,484
Enjoy it, or sell it to someone who doesn't want to wait until June... Seems like a win-win. I wouldn't take the 15% hit myself, then again I probably wouldn't want to part with it.

5% restocking fee with the Yggdrasil.

15-Day Satisfaction Guarantee
Try Yggdrasil in your own house for 15 days. If you don’t like it, simply send it back for a refund, minus a 5% transaction fee. Try spending 15 days in an audio store. They’ll kick you out. Unless you buy them donuts. Maybe.

May 12, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #7,310 of 9,484
  Note: this a thought - a question to discuss - not a statement. I have a Yggy on order myself.

Regarding dacs that reveal incredible details (not just the Yggy), while they are often touted as being the most realistic (tonal/texture quality etc. all aside), could these dacs bring out too much detail?

If some dacs 'hide' too much detail, would it not be possible to 'show' too much detail?

Could these 'minor' sounds be brought to the forefront of the sound spectrum / sonic signature more than intended when being originally recorded and produced? Why is hearing a faint breath (that wasn't intended to be heard) more 'realistic'? Is it not simply more resolving?

Again, this is a discussion point, not a statement.

IMHO… YES… not just DACs either… I wouldn't necessarily call it too much detail… just not portrayed in an organic manner…  Kind of like listening to an unfamiliar piece of gear & getting really excited to have found Nirvana… then after extended listening, the 'sound' gets fatiguing… So far, for me, the Yggy is close to that.. not really fatiguing though, which is super interesting I must say-

She's very unique to say the least.. and a very nice price too, as I found w/ the fantastic (borrowed) Modi 2 Uber… 

David

May 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #7,311 of 9,484
  Note: this a thought - a question to discuss - not a statement. I have a Yggy on order myself.

Regarding dacs that reveal incredible details (not just the Yggy), while they are often touted as being the most realistic (tonal/texture quality etc. all aside), could these dacs bring out too much detail?

If some dacs 'hide' too much detail, would it not be possible to 'show' too much detail?

Could these 'minor' sounds be brought to the forefront of the sound spectrum / sonic signature more than intended when being originally recorded and produced? Why is hearing a faint breath (that wasn't intended to be heard) more 'realistic'? Is it not simply more resolving?

Again, this is a discussion point, not a statement.

It all depends on your type of music and how you listen. I listen to classical music and mostly acoustic Jazz. If I want to hear the faintest touch of the bow on a violin string then I will consequently also hear the artist breathing while playing. If the mic captured all the acoustic details, both of these sound will be reproduced once you play the recording. (e.g. Janine Jansen, Prokofiev Violin concerto).

A good representation of the acoustic space the recoding was made in, requires a certain level of detail resolution of the entire set up, not only the DAC. Ambient reverb cues of the room, the reflections of sound from the walls will give a sense of "live" performance. If these cues are missing because simply several voices and instruments recorded in different places on a multi track recording were doctered together, then this indeed will sound strange. This is why a lot of folks don't like the HD800.

When the recording engineer intended the breathing not to be heard, then he should have isolated the mic from catching it. When it is there, it is part of the performance. I want to hear it as it makes the recording alive, it's part of the process how the music was created. I can totally understand that a lot of folks don't want that level of detail to be revealed as it also lays bare everything else not related to the music i.e. back ground noise e.g. air condition, subway, trucks, police sirens etc... But a DAC can not reveal anything that's not in the recording. Sometime not revealing everything can be enough
wink.gif

In the end the entire set up must be pleasing to your favorite music.

May 12, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #7,312 of 9,484

It was quite clear from the beggining this an R2R sounding DAC, so at any warm-up stage it is less fatiguing than to me than many delta/sigma DACs out there. I was comparing it at all times with a (good) R2R DAC, and comparatively I preferred the Theta Gen V up until around 100-120 hours.

With speakers I felt even from early on, I am getting more with the Yggdrasil than what I am getting with headphones. That never changed and it's not only applying to the Yggdrasil either, but to many DACs. Perhaps the exception is Chord Hugo, that I thought was utter crap with speakers (And not a lot better with headphones). This only highlights my personal bias and preference for how speakers image and how realistic I think they sound. I don't have any room treatements as I am of the thought speakers are part of family life. Thankfully missus seems to mostly agree.

I agree with most of this, but I will mention that once you have sat in a mastering room, very carefully designed for acoustic neutrality, it will be a revelation, with almost any playback system.

May 12, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #7,313 of 9,484
  Take your time auditioning the Yggdrasil.   Schiit won't be able to keep up with production demand for a while and you will be able to recoup most if not all your investment on the secondary market.  But I do have a lot of respect for a company that has a return policy that gives you back 95% of your investment.  I bet I could sell mine for $2300 until the end of June in less than an hour's time (though from my cold, dead hands!).

15-days is perhaps not enough time to audition this DAC with the 1-week warm up period.   Made me nervous thinking about it with the clock ticking on warm up.  And yes it does not sound its best cold by a long shot so give it a chance.  But everyone is not going to like the Yggdrasil.  Forum posts are like today's political climate where there is not much in the middle where most people's opinions lie.  You have to read between the lines and look for many different sources of comments.

And I have one operational issue with Yggy.  When changing songs with different sampling rates the mute relay kicks in at the start of the next song cutting off 1/2 second of the intro.  It is annoying when running a jukebox with a varied music sources. If the sampling rate of the next song is the same then no problem.  The Master 7/ Off Ramp 5 was OK in this regard with an occasional tick at the start. 

Great points !

To add another minor quip… I'd have paid extra for a remote for phase inversion, as opposed to on the front panel...

David

May 12, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #7,314 of 9,484
  I agree with most of this, but I will mention that once you have sat in a mastering room, very carefully designed for acoustic neutrality, it will be a revelation, with almost any playback system.

I don't disagree at all and it's certainly better and beyond. This is just my practical bias... I want to listen to my speakers playing as close as I can get to background live music in my living room or over in my dining room. It's not going to be perfect, but it certainly beats no sound or bad sound. =)

Yes, ideally I would have a spare acoustic treated room with another system. But that's not happening anytime soon.

May 12, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #7,315 of 9,484
  Agreed on the power draw… no biggie… I always leave DACs on 24/7 anyway… btw… the Yggy takes a looooong time to recover from being off for almost an hour… I'd say over 24 hrs...

My speakers are full range…. I am completely unfamiliar w/ DACs in this price range, however of the three I've owned (in the 10-20K range), they all produced full range music...

The last one I owned, & have another one borrowed for the moment (MSB Analog), produces fantastic bass, albeit at a much higher price point… 

The reason I mentioned this, is that Yggy has been MEGA-hyped as a giant killer, especially against the Analog DAC… 

In my system… it is not so far… although it is very fantastic… w/ about 260 hrs… I'm still looking for it to have some more ease & flow like the Analog… which 'seems' to have just as much detail… just in a more organic manner….

These are NOT final conclusions… still have a day or so for trial period…  I'm on the fence… 

For this DAC, w/ all the hype, & the lengthy break-in period… it should be a 30 day return policy imho..

Have more ears coming over today & tomorrow & listening most of the days...

David

I received my quad usb input the last week and it improved analog dac by a huge factor. There is more sound with it. It became a lot more realistic. Would love to hear yggy and analog dac with quad usb input side by side. Looking forward for more impressions.

May 12, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #7,316 of 9,484

Wait...what?

As mentioned several times... warm up & break-in are different-

Unless you've been playing music (preferably very dynamic) through the Yggy, it's not breaking in…. it only needs to be hooked up to the preamp (load path complete), not necessarily playing through your speakers or headphones..

Kind of like buying a new Porsche, & expecting to break her in by simply leaving her running in the driveway, instead of actually driving (as per factory)...

David

May 12, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #7,317 of 9,484
..............  When changing songs with different sampling rates the mute relay kicks in at the start of the next song cutting off 1/2 second of the intro.  It is annoying when running a jukebox with a varied music sources. If the sampling rate of the next song is the same then no problem.  The Master 7/ Off Ramp 5 was OK in this regard with an occasional tick at the start. 

Wow, really. Is this true with everyone's Yggi, with all sources, connections....
I've never had this experience with a DAC but it sounds frustrating to say the least.

May 12, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #7,318 of 9,484
  Great points !

To add another minor quip… I'd have paid extra for a remote for phase inversion, as opposed to on the front panel...

David

David and I traded Emails and its very interesting that the Yggy can even compete with a DAC that costs 4x the price.  It would not surprise me that the Analog DAC wins as well it probably should considering price.  But David and I are approaching the Yggy from two different directions.  For me with mid-fi equipment the Yggy is a major step up that I am not use to or never experienced until now.  David has much more resolving sound equipment and used to hearing the best there is available.  So he is bottom feeding in comparison and why not?  You never know until you give it a try.   

Let us know how your friends compare the Yggy to the Analog DAC.  Very interesting indeed!  Look forward to the review.    

May 12, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #7,319 of 9,484

David and I traded Emails and its very interesting that the Yggy can even compete with a DAC that costs 4x the price.  It would not surprise me that the Analog DAC wins as well it probably should considering price.  But David and I are approaching the Yggy from two different directions.  For me with mid-fi equipment the Yggy is a major step up that I am not use to or never experienced until now.  David has much more resolving sound equipment and used to hearing the best there is available.  So he is bottom feeding in comparison and why not?  You never know until you give it a try.   

Let us know how your friends compare the Yggy to the Analog DAC.  Very interesting indeed!  Look forward to the review.    

Will do !  One buddy will arrives in a few hrs… (it's his Analog DAC) who's very familiar w/ my system...

Looking forward to your visit soon I hope !

Anyone is welcome to stop by & hear for themselves… at least today & tomorrow while both DACs are here together, haha !  Just PM me..

David

May 12, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #7,320 of 9,484

According to the old saying, either God or the Devil is in the details. Can you have too much of either?

There are two aspects to detail. One is the can-you-tell-that-the-trombone-player-has-a-split-lip subtlety, or the sort of recording where each guitar string gets its own track - presentations you wouldn't ever hear in the real world. Personally, I kind of like that stuff, but then if it's on the recording I want to hear it.

The other aspect is how the component presents all that detail. Ygg (and Rag) both do a great job of giving each event its own space, so that even though a recording may be full of instruments it never seems cluttered or congealed. Just last night I was noticing how small touches that had been easy to overlook were sort of floating in their own layer. Yet neither Rag or Ygg are prone to overemphasize any particular frequency range or type of transient. You can pay attention to, or ignore, details at your discretion. This is a really neat trick that a lot of gear  simply can't do. And I find it addictive.

Also, one thing I noticed immediately about Ygg is the way it allowed me to relax into the music. I compare this to analog presentation, since it gets rid of what many call "digititis," which is so ubiquitous that you almost don't notice it until it's not there any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back