New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 8, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #7,021 of 9,484
Now that I have around 100 hrs on the Yggy things are starting to sound very good ..definitely a level or two above the M51.

That said I think there is still more that can be squeezed out of the Yggy thought USB.

I was just wondering if it would actually be worth the $$$ to actually invest on a decent source (proper music server or building a C.A.P.S) rather than straight out of my computer? 

Or Maybe Schiit will release one this year
wink_face.gif
???

May 8, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #7,022 of 9,484
That's what I'm looking for, a proper music server. I don't want to buy another computer for my bedroom rig but I can't find anything affordable that can hold all my music. Funny, there's about a million DAC's, Amps & Headphones I want to try, but not a single music server that is sufficient. The Aries looks cool, but having to buy an iPad to use the darn thing is a no-deal for me.

May 8, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #7,024 of 9,484
@prot: Radiohead's Hail to the Thief benefits well from inversion; very apparent in the grinding guitar that opens Myxomatosis, for example.

@arnaud: thanks for your thoughts on polarity.

@jacal01: Schiit does post the Yggy's manual on their website, which includes the instructions to leave it powered-on.

@Exidrion and 7ryder: thank you for the links to Baldr's other posts. I had read them all. They had not fully addressed the questions I asked, which is why I asked them.

@Baldr: thank you for sharing your thoughts. It sounds like you don't normally run signal to 'break-in' a DAC, and that leaving the Yggy powered-up will be sufficient. I still wish to know how much powered-on time you recommend for a Yggy to approach optimal temperature/operation. Thanks.

May 8, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #7,025 of 9,484

A poor man's Aries. It sounds much cleaner than my MacBook Pro.

I literally have no idea what any of that stuff is, lol

May 8, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #7,027 of 9,484
Yup, a 50 dollar music server that plays from NAS, USB storage, Spotify etc like the Aries. No fans, no spinning parts. No idea how it compares to the Aries, but it's much better than a desktop computer/notebook. I prefer Runeaudio over Volumio here :)

May 8, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #7,029 of 9,484
Price is right, looks a bit complicated to me, what is the device your using so you can see what tracks are playing?

May 8, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #7,030 of 9,484
Actually is quite simple setup. All you need is Raspberry Pi (preferably new model “2”), case for it (you can even made one from paper...), 5V/1A adapter (like on most smartphones) and you can control it via smartphone, tablet or any pc through web browser...

May 8, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #7,031 of 9,484
That's what I'm looking for, a proper music server. I don't want to buy another computer for my bedroom rig but I can't find anything affordable that can hold all my music. Funny, there's about a million DAC's, Amps & Headphones I want to try, but not a single music server that is sufficient. The Aries looks cool, but having to buy an iPad to use the darn thing is a no-deal for me.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/585-sotm-sms-100-mini-server-review/

SMS100. Negura pointed me at this a while back. Only thing it lacks is native Spotify/Tidal integration, but if your files are 'offline', a great option. 

(There is a Tidal tweak, using the new XBMC on the main computer. Not optimal, but functional.)

May 8, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #7,032 of 9,484
Yes, it's easy to set up, just follow the instructions here, www.volumio.com. I find Runeaudio less buggy. Anyway, Runeaudio/Volumio were developed by the same group of ppl before they splitted, the features are about the same. There are other options out there like Kodi. And there are other hardware platforms too other than Raspberry Pi 2, for example Beaglebone Black, Cubox etc. The simplest way to start is Rasberry Pi 2 + Volumio.

May 8, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #7,033 of 9,484
Price is right, looks a bit complicated to me, what is the device your using so you can see what tracks are playing?

U can use any smartphone, tablets, etc. Just type Volumio.local on the Web Browser. U can then see the brilliant interface. It's user friendly and there are options to mount a NAS, music streamer etc. And options to tweak the sound too. After setup, u just hide it behind and forget about it, with power on all the time just like your Yggy :)

May 8, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #7,035 of 9,484
... There are other options out there like Kodi. And there are other hardware platforms too other than Raspberry Pi 2, for example Beaglebone Black, Cubox etc. The simplest way to start is Rasberry Pi 2 + Volumio.

I use a Cubox running Kodi/OpenElec for both movie and music streaming.  

Works pretty well but I wish it had some other way to output high res other than HDMI and USB.  No DACs with HDMI and I don't own one that has USB.  And Kodi/OpenElec does not output simultaneously over 2 audio devices.

Even so I'm thinking of getting another one just for music streaming over USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back