New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 8, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #7,051 of 9,484
  So there should be at least 50 yggdrasils at past the 165 hr mark by now. Where are all the reports on the final change? Other than post 6802 by @negura which I somehow missed skimming to catch up. Thank-you everyone for pointing me back to that post. And those describing the tonal changes prior to 165 hrs which may not reflect the final sound after the recommended warm-up.

Thanks for the observations and the measurements.  I assume the test measurements at 160hr+  don't indicate any difference or reason tor the disappearing act of the Yggdrasil.  But I am too interested in other observations as the magic hour comes and goes.  My Yggy made a marked change from the 24 hr mark to 36 hr with overnight playing of music through the USB connection.  The sound seems to be solidifying and its true colors are showing through.   Also curious if there are any other changes as the clock runs past 160hr to 250, 500, and 1000 hr.   

May 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #7,052 of 9,484
  Thanks for the observations and the measurements.  I assume the test measurements at 160hr+  don't indicate any difference or reason tor the disappearing act of the Yggdrasil.  But I am too interested in other observations as the magic hour comes and goes.  My Yggy made a marked change from the 24 hr mark to 36 hr with overnight playing of music through the USB connection.  The sound seems to be solidifying and its true colors are showing through.   Also curious if there are any other changes as the clock runs past 160hr to 250, 500, and 1000 hr.   

You are welcome. I don't know if any changes to the measurements have occurred as I have yet to carve out some time for another set. Seems my career position keeps cutting into my recreational time with only a few short breaks to attempt to keep up with the forums. Maybe this weekend I will manage some time for another set, and try to remember everyone's requests for additional parameters.

May 8, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #7,053 of 9,484
 "My God.... It's full of stars!"

So, THIS is what high-end digital is supposed to sound like...  :)  ...

I just managed to download the new USB drivers, connect all the dots...and right out of the box, (well perhaps about 60 minutes of warm-up on idle so to speak), not unexpectedly, this Yggdrasil stands a head or two taller than its older sibling, (1st generation  Bifrost...(and that little gem is still a fine piece of engineering...)), however, Wow, its big younger sib. must have been doing steroids in utero...perhaps just a tad bright currently, but with bass foundation and sound-stage to support the pillars on which the earth rests, if not old sol...and it will only get better with time...  :-O  ...    

www.organlive.com has never commanded with so much authority... 

May 8, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #7,055 of 9,484
Thank you Jones Bob, I wasn't absolutely sure of the quote, and I really hate to misquote the masters...

May 8, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #7,056 of 9,484
My Yggy arrived on Tuesday at the office in the late morning...........I suddenly formulated a lunch plan to sprint home and get my new Yggy safely into his audio rack.

Even a cold fresh out of the double box Yggy allowed me to hear an immediate improvement.

So I left Yggy to wander unsupervised down the warm-up path,,,,,,,,,,,,and when I returned home that evening the sound was better. I did hear some of the harshness I have experienced many times with new audio gear before.

Better image depth was noted...

After listening for 30 minutes I noticed something was missing..........what was it........oh wait, the digititis was missing!

Digititis is how I describe the irritation I would experience when listening to digital without the aid of an adult beverage.

Anyone else experience this? One of my audiophile friends described it as a restless feeling.......for me it was a minor irritation I felt in the temples which would gradually progress to a minor headache if not treated with alcohol.....something I never experienced when listening to analog.

Wednesday and Thursday nights brought further improvement, and it's already beginning to disappear ........as I told some audio pals Yggy has made digital sound like music.

Looking forward to the 160 hour service point but I am extremely impressed even now..........which is less than halfway there.

May 8, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #7,057 of 9,484
  Now that I have around 100 hrs on the Yggy things are starting to sound very good ..definitely a level or two above the M51.

That said I think there is still more that can be squeezed out of the Yggy thought USB.

I was just wondering if it would actually be worth the $$$ to actually invest on a decent source (proper music server or building a C.A.P.S) rather than straight out of my computer? 

Or Maybe Schiit will release one this year
wink_face.gif
???

YES!! Exactly what I was thinking, a Schiit Music server to really get all the ducks in a row. 

In the mean time, curious what non-direct from cd format people think sound and work best going into the Yg.

May 8, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #7,058 of 9,484
I will get my Yggy soon, I can't get any clear information from most of pages here . I have to wait and test the unite myself .
I will make sure other friends heard it too .

May 8, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #7,061 of 9,484
   I get dizzy from reading alot of pages but I want to know how is yggy's sound ?
 is it like detail monster dac which you can call reference dac ? or
is it more tuby , organic sound which instruments sound breathable and very realistic ? or
is it sound detail with some warmth ? there are many kind of dacs and for me I like the tuby organic sound which you hear emotional voice of singers .
also what the best amp to pair with Yggy ?
Thanks for your help mr : Exidrion

May 8, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #7,062 of 9,484
I'm at about 48 hours and I'm starting to realise this DAC is special. I've noticed "warm up" before, but with this DAC it really matters. This isn't audiophile BS.

Can't wait to see if it keeps getting better.
     I get dizzy from reading alot of pages but I want to know how is yggy's sound ?
 is it like detail monster dac which you can call reference dac ? or
is it more tuby , organic sound which instruments sound breathable and very realistic ? or
is it sound detail with some warmth ? there are many kind of dacs and for me I like the tuby organic sound which you hear emotional voice of singers .
also what the best amp to pair with Yggy ?
Thanks for your help mr : Exidrion

Yes, it reveals a lot of details. I've never heard tube sound so I can't really comment, but it does sound "warm" to me. Not overly so.

As far as an amp, I'm still using a matrix m-stage SS amp and it sounds good. I'm waiting for the Ragnarok to ship though, I'll probably post my complete impression once that arrives and is well used. :)

May 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #7,064 of 9,484
  I don't understand what you are asking, could you clarify please?  thanks. 

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I'm running my Mac mini into my Gungnir, soon to my YG, and it seems that a lot of folks think that you can and/or do get a better sound from a music server or perhaps some other source that I'm not familiar with. I said that I'm interested in non-cd sources because I've ripped all my cd's to hard drives and prefer hi-res downloads also on hard drives as opposed to having another stand alone unit (CD Player). Thanks.

Ps, sorry to sidetrack the thread, I would also just like to read direct impressions as the first Ygs are reaching minimum full burn time. Just trying to figure out what to feed the Yg :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back