New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 9, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #7,068 of 9,484
I have never heard the Hugo, but most (maybe all?) of Purrin's pyrates don't like it. they love Yggy. Purrin's thoughts on both can be found here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-sucks#post_10040449

May 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #7,069 of 9,484
yes I think I can answer Hugo vs Yggy,. first it didn't sound that good from the box . Second it didn't work so well with headphones but better with my focal speaker .

I've been listening for about 6 hours and the sound improved a little bit . .
Hugo still clearer and better separation, also the instruments sound realistic especially with HD Audio Album.

Don't try to play mp3 on hugo or yggy ,it will sound good but both dacs shine with HD Audio .

Yggy is better in soundstage and make the instruments very clear and singing in a very blackground .  same level of detail in both. bass very controlled and fast in hugo , while yggy has more meaty bass which I like alot .

May 9, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #7,070 of 9,484
For those of us being as patient as possible, what was the last order number shipped/delivered in the U.S. / North America?

I figure I won't see it till June/July but I gotta ask...

Thanks.

HS

May 9, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #7,071 of 9,484
Can any of your new Yiggy owners compare the sound to the Hugo/TT? I love the Hugo but am very curious about the Yiggy - I'm using it with speakers.

Thank you!

I don't personally own the Hugo but did get to audition it at SoCal CanJam 2015 for a time as I was looking for a nice portable dac/amp and though it was decent it didn't cut the mustard, especially given its price. When compared to the Yggy, I much prefer Yggy over Hugo. Yggy is more resolving with better separation of instruments and vocals. There is more layering to the music when played from the Yggy vs the Hugo. The Yggy is more dynamic. Soft to loud passages are clearly defined and audible with the Yggy as source. There is a finesse to the Yggy that I've never heard from any other dac. Also, and this is what really killed the Hugo for me, there is some grain/noise (I wouldn't call it harshness though) that can be heard in the upper registers (mid and upper treble region especially) which took away from the musicality with the Hugo as source. This graininess/noise is not present in the Yggy at all. During the meet I was playing Wav files through Ak120 via optical out into Hugo to Hd800 via CCC Universal cables. I also used the same equipment when testing Yggy but amplification was with Rag.

Not trying to put Hugo down as I think it is one of the better devices out on the market today but for me Yggy sounds better. Try to get an audition of a nicely warmed up Yggy when you can. I think you would enjoy it.

May 9, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #7,072 of 9,484
yes I think I can answer Hugo vs Yggy,. first it didn't sound that good from the box . Second it didn't work so well with headphones but better with my focal speaker .

Hugo still clearer and better separation, also the instruments sound realistic especially with HD Audio Album.

Don't try to play mp3 on hugo or yggy ,it will sound good but both dacs shine with HD Audio .

Yggy is better in soundstage and make the instruments very clear and singing in a very blackground .  same level of detail in both. bass very controlled and fast in hugo , while yggy has more meaty bass which I like alot .

Have you heard an Yggdrasil? A couple of days ago you posted this:

I get dizzy from reading alot of pages but I want to know how is yggy's sound ?
is it like detail monster dac which you can call reference dac ? or
is it more tuby , organic sound which instruments sound breathable and very realistic ? or
is it sound detail with some warmth ? there are many kind of dacs and for me I like the tuby organic sound which you hear emotional voice of singers .
also what the best amp to pair with Yggy ?

Thanks for your help mr : Exidrion

IMO, you're not in any position to compare the two.

May 9, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #7,074 of 9,484
Based on his posts over the last week I have my severe doubts as well.

I feel the typical Head-Fi regurgitation without any experience is strong with this one. Even if he does own one or both, I don't trust the opinion of someone who is apparently so dizzy.

May 9, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #7,076 of 9,484
I can't believe the resolution of my Yggy..... I can even make out these lyrics:
http://youtu.be/4V1p1dM3snQ
biggrin.gif

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150503/22075130880/fbi-spent-years-researching-lyrics-to-louie-louie-before-realizing-copyright-office-must-have-them.shtml

May 9, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #7,077 of 9,484
I feel the typical Head-Fi regurgitation without any experience is strong with this one. Even if he does own one or both, I don't trust the opinion of someone who is apparently so dizzy.

I think Agooh has very valid questions in his post regarding sound signature. Many here have blind faith as they order the new Yggy dac. I've been following this thread and I'm genuinely curious of this new product. My local shop will not have a Yggy for at least couple months according to the owner of Headphone bar.  Other audio forums really haven't been talking much about the new schiit product simply because "Schiit" has been geared more for the headphone world. Schiit is attempting to bridge the gap in making a DAC for the audio world as a whole....not just headphones. Not a lot of hype in the 2 channel world yet if you follow "audio mart".

I only use 2 dacs for my 2 channel. 1 tube dac and 1 solid state. Both used for different purposes. I highly doubt 1 dac can do everything for every music genre....this is the reason I'm following this thread until I audition the dac. 

Why slam Agooh for being subjective? No right or wrong.....if it makes your ears happy. 

May 9, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #7,078 of 9,484
  I think Agooh has very valid questions in his post regarding sound signature. Many here have blind faith as they order the new Yggy dac. I've been following this thread and I'm genuinely curious of this new product. My local shop will not have a Yggy for at least couple months according to the owner of Headphone bar.  Other audio forums really haven't been talking much about the new schiit product simply because "Schiit" has been geared more for the headphone world. Schiit is attempting to bridge the gap in making a DAC for the audio world as a whole....not just headphones. Not a lot of hype in the 2 channel world yet if you follow "audio mart".

I only use 2 dacs for my 2 channel. 1 tube dac and 1 solid state. Both used for different purposes. I highly doubt 1 dac can do everything for every music genre....this is the reason I'm following this thread until I audition the dac. 

Why slam Agooh for being subjective? No right or wrong.....if it makes your ears happy. 

He is not being slammed for asking questions.

May 9, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #7,079 of 9,484

Damn dude, you got a Yggy FAST. Wow. :rolleyes:

May 9, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #7,080 of 9,484
My Yggy didn't sound good out of the box; in fact, there is no sound. The Yggy is indicating that it's receiving the AES/EBU signal from my Logitech Transporter but I'm not getting any sound output either via SE or Balanced. Something is rattling around inside the case that sounds like a screw so maybe Fedex did some damage to the device. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Schiit to see if they have any remote suggestions. Hopefully, I'm not going to have to send this all the way back. Fingers crossed!

UPDATE: My Yggy has to be returned for inspection and repair. A bit of a bummer as I was so excited to try it out but these things happen and customer satisfaction is one of the reasons I feel confident buying from Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back