New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 4, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #5,311 of 9,484
  Estreeter,
Your link gives us info on products posted from 2007 to 2011
Got anything a bit more current..???..

Smitty's comparisons,might grow ,as members start to answer his link,maybe we should give it a few more weeks-No?
He just started his link,25 minutes ago?

That was my point - very few people attempt to do the 'battle' thing with amps costing 1K and up in 2015 - even skylab's old thread would have cost him many thousands if he didnt have access to loaner gear. As for members answering smitty's thread, I dont know how that helps - like purrin's impressions, all of smitty's impressions need to come from him, hopefully with comparisons to the other frontrunners as the thread progresses. I'm not trying to be a pr*ck for the sake of it - simply pointing out that he stands at the edge of what is - potentially - a very expensive precipice unless he can get serious long term loaners from people who understand that he needs to hear the amp in his rig with his music. purrin is exceptionally lucky - and exceptionally fanatical ! - to have access to so much gear, but I have no doubt that he has largely made his own 'luck' while others (myself included) have taken the odd potshot from the sidelines. I wish smitty every success with his thread - I just hope he doesnt find himself surrounded by a truckload of amps wondering whether it was all worth it. 

And on that glorious note, I'm about to list my Taurus for sale (downsizing in a big way) for those who want a topnotch amp but dont need the speaker functionality offered by the Rag. smitty, i look forward to hearing from you  
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #5,312 of 9,484

And on that glorious note, I'm about to list my Taurus for sale (downsizing in a big way) for those who want a topnotch amp but dont need the speaker functionality offered by the Rag. smitty, i look forward to hearing from you  
evil_smiley.gif

It's certainly worth looking at your taurus, but I can't buy it now because of the pending Yggy purchase. I'm actually trying to unload my largest disappointment, beyer T1's but nobody seems to want them. It's like people figured out that they aren't top-notch headphones after seeing reviews.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #5,313 of 9,484
  It's certainly worth looking at your taurus, but I can't buy it now because of the pending Yggy purchase. I'm actually trying to unload my largest disappointment, beyer T1's but nobody seems to want them. It's like people figured out that they aren't top-notch headphones after seeing reviews.

FS can be a bit of a lottery here - so much gear being listed that it's easy for something to fall through the cracks - just keep bumping the ad every few days and hope for the best. BTW, I was joking re the Taurus - I realise where your priorities are atm and wish you luck getting one of the first batch of Yggys. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #5,314 of 9,484

Hi Smitty,

Saw you have Sierra 2 paired with Rag, how do you like that combo?
Just curious to find out, I have both of them coming but Rag may still take a while...

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #5,315 of 9,484
Hi Smitty,

Saw you have Sierra 2 paired with Rag, how do you like that combo?
Just curious to find out, I have both of them coming but Rag may still take a while...
Its a very solid combo, I run it on gain setting 2 because i listen to stuff fairly quiet and because I get more precise volume control. If you get evertthing set up correctly and are sitting in the sweet spot it sounds amazing (at leasr, it does in my smallish room).

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #5,317 of 9,484
Has anybody of you guys tried to drive the KEF-LS50 with the Ragnarok. Would this work?
You should have plenty of power to drice them, but I haven't personally heard them.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #5,318 of 9,484
Gungnir > Ragnarok, Gain 2 for BOTH LCD-X and KEF LS50s with a JL Audio e110 pulling sub duty. Volume knob at 12:00 for the LCD-X, around 3:00 for the KEFs. Heaven. Cranked higher, and it hurts after about 5 seconds. This is really a phenomenal nearfield setup. Can't hear any sonic differences between Gain settings assuming volume is matched.

DSN

Sweet thanks for your impressions on the Ragnarok and the KEF- LS50. I have been tempted to get LS50, in case I need to entertain.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #5,319 of 9,484

Has anybody of you guys tried to drive the KEF-LS50 with the Ragnarok. Would this work?

Several here have posted very favourable impressions of that combination. The LS50 are notoriously power-hungry speakers but there is more to an amp's power capability than the Watt rating. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #5,320 of 9,484
someone know what is now the expected availability date of the Yggdrasil ?   in Europe ? 

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #5,321 of 9,484
Several here have posted very favourable impressions of that combination. The LS50 are notoriously power-hungry speakers but there is more to an amp's power capability than the Watt rating. 
This is worth reitierating, my recnet personal experience backs this up as well. I havwle a WET amp rated at 2 Wpc, but it drives my sierra-2s to extremely loud levels. Some amps seems to compete well above their specs.
someone know what is now the expected availability date of the Yggdrasil ?   in Europe ? 
Sorry, still no word on that front.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #5,322 of 9,484
thanks anyway... we will have to wait :)

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #5,323 of 9,484
Mike originally posted that he was 10 days late getting the Yggy to the stage where he could hand it over to the production team and they've had a few teething problems since then - lets work on April 20 and you can all mock me when that comes and goes  :wink:

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #5,324 of 9,484
This is worth reitierating, my recnet personal experience backs this up as well. I havwle a WET amp rated at 2 Wpc, but it drives my sierra-2s to extremely loud levels. Some amps seems to compete well above their specs.
Sorry, still no word on that front.

In the medium term I'll be looking at pairing new speakers with my Rag. I'm interested in finding out more on the relativeness of these power specs as well, also in relation to recommended amp ratings given by speaker manufacturers. I don't have any prior experience matching amps with speakers power rating wise. 

Many years ago I remember being impressed by a demo of some Monitor Audio Gold series speakers. I recently checked the specs of the new Gold range, and it has a sensitivity of 89db and a rating of 8 Ohm for the floor standing GS200, for which the manufacturer lists a recommended power rating of 100 - 150W; the Rag only delivers 60W at 8 Ohm. For the GS100 (bookshelf) which has a sensitivity of 88dB and impedance of 8 Ohm, the manufacturer lists 60-120W. 

It is clear that on the one hand under powering speakers can damage them (tweeters especially), on the other hand I hooked up some old B&W DM110's to the Rag which have identical sensitivity and nominal impedance specs to the GS200, and seem to be able to drive them easily with the Ragnarok.

The LS50's have a lower sensitivity of 85dB, a reputation that they need gobs of power to sound well, and quite a few users report them to work very well with the Rag. 

Are Monitor Audio's ratings overly conservative? Or can this have something to do with the topology of the speaker or the impedance curves (e.g.min. impedance)? 

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #5,325 of 9,484
I'll get back to you on that I've i figure it out myself. Speakers all's are still kind of like black magic to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back