New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 4, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #5,298 of 9,484
The problem is Sigms Delta DACs probably don't sound good enough to tell the difference.

Probably right. I have not heard a R2R DAC in years.

I leave my Gungnir on 24/7 and even with it's Signa Delta AKM DAC it does sound better when warmed up -and I don't give a ****** why.

Anxious to get my ears wrapped around a Yggy soon.

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #5,299 of 9,484
  The problem is Sigms Delta DACs probably don't sound good enough to tell the difference.

Probably right. I have not heard a R2R DAC in years.

I leave my Gungnir on 24/7 and even with it's Signa Delta AKM DAC it does sound better when warmed up -and I don't give a ****** why.

Anxious to get my ears wrapped around a Yggy soon.

Interesting,  Esoteric use the AKM DAC chips, The Esoteric DACs are said to some of the best DACs there are.  

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #5,300 of 9,484
Question to those that have tried the Rag with hd800, what amp have you tried with the hd800 and what was your experience ?

I've tried the HD800's with the rag and my mainline with balanced and SE cables. The Rag sounded better balanced, there really wasn't as much of a difference with the mainline. I've also tried them single ended out of a Bijou with ECC99 tubes. The Bijou was good, the soundstaging was superior to the Rag in width and depth, but there was a bit of a lack in micro-detail and imaging clarity compared to the other two amps.

I'm actually doing a re-test of the mainline and the rag side by side this weekend, and I'm going to make a new thread about that at some point this weekend. I remember the two being very close, but with some soundstaging, detail/imaging, and minor tonal differences.

I'm also working on a speaker tap s to 4-pin XLR adapter to use with a SET 45 amp, and I'll be adding that if I finish it in time.

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #5,301 of 9,484

I've tried the HD800's with the rag and my mainline with balanced and SE cables. The Rag sounded better balanced, there really wasn't as much of a difference with the mainline. I've also tried them single ended out of a Bijou with ECC99 tubes. The Bijou was good, the soundstaging was superior to the Rag in width and depth, but there was a bit of a lack in micro-detail and imaging clarity compared to the other two amps.

I'm actually doing a re-test of the mainline and the rag side by side this weekend, and I'm going to make a new thread about that at some point this weekend. I remember the two being very close, but with some soundstaging, detail/imaging, and minor tonal differences.

I'm also working on a speaker tap s to 4-pin XLR adapter to use with a SET 45 amp, and I'll be adding that if I finish it in time.

Oh, I will be interested in this comparison, please do link it here when it is done. I have auditioned the Mainline briefly with the HD800 and there was something in the instrument placement which seems odd compared to the other amps on our mini-meet. Hope it was just one off (or my hallucination.)

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #5,302 of 9,484
Somewhere - can't remember where sorry - Mike Moffat stated the Yggy reaches a point where it crosses a threshold after some days. Honestly can't remember whether 4 or 6.
Purrin backs this up with his observations that it begins to show its true colors after about 48 hours (IIRC), and sounds not good before this. To be noted: possibly purrin's "not good" might be my excellent :wink:

Speculating, it was perhaps more important to Schiit they bring Yggy to CanJam and say "here it is, we've done it, it's real!". Given the typical noisy conditions of this kind of meet - and that DACs are about the hardest to tell apart even under ideal conditions - I doubt they were that worried about whether it showed its last 1-2% of performance at the show.

As to a real proper answer, I guess we'll know once they've been out in the wild a few months.

Forgive me if I'm a little bit behind, but I thought the warm up issue that was present in the 0.96 / 0.97 versions or whatever they were was meant to be sorted out by the final production version? But a lot the impressions from SoCal seem to be preceded by something like "It was on the first day of the show so it wouldn't have had time to reach it's potential yet". Then I read yesterday someone from Woo saying another r2r dac that came out a while back came without a power switch because it really needs to be left on since the warm up time is just too long. So now I'm guessing the final version of the Yggy will be the same? If that's true, and a warm up time of a day or so makes all the difference, and you were showing it for the first time to quite a vocal and tight community, wouldn't you have one in the workshop plugged into a UPS then unplug it, drive to the show with it still running on UPS and plug it back in when you get to the show? :p Seems stupid, but if the warm up thing is true, you wouldn't wanna be Schiit demoing this product knowing that everyone at your grand unveiling who tries it pre-warm-up is going to be disappointed...

Don't get me wrong, I have no idea how it works and maybe it takes the listener a day to warm up to the yggy rather than the other way around, but I have heard people claiming all sorts of things like saying it needs to be on for anywhere from 4 hours to 6 days before it will perform at it's peak... What's the actual real proper answer to this?

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #5,303 of 9,484
Forgive me if I'm a little bit behind, but I thought the warm up issue that was present in the 0.96 / 0.97 versions or whatever they were was meant to be sorted out by the final production version? But a lot the impressions from SoCal seem to be preceded by something like "It was on the first day of the show so it wouldn't have had time to reach it's potential yet". Then I read yesterday someone from Woo saying another r2r dac that came out a while back came without a power switch because it really needs to be left on since the warm up time is just too long. So now I'm guessing the final version of the Yggy will be the same? If that's true, and a warm up time of a day or so makes all the difference, and you were showing it for the first time to quite a vocal and tight community, wouldn't you have one in the workshop plugged into a UPS then unplug it, drive to the show with it still running on UPS and plug it back in when you get to the show? :p Seems stupid, but if the warm up thing is true, you wouldn't wanna be Schiit demoing this product knowing that everyone at your grand unveiling who tries it pre-warm-up is going to be disappointed...

Don't get me wrong, I have no idea how it works and maybe it takes the listener a day to warm up to the yggy rather than the other way around, but I have heard people claiming all sorts of things like saying it needs to be on for anywhere from 4 hours to 6 days before it will perform at it's peak... What's the actual real proper answer to this?

Somewhere - can't remember where sorry - Mike Moffat stated the Yggy reaches a point where it crosses a threshold after some days. Honestly can't remember whether 4 or 6.

I think these are the posts AiDee is referring to:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-sucks/3345#post_11455570

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-sucks/3405#post_11460529

That thread is pretty worthwhile read, if you haven't already.

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #5,305 of 9,484
  Oh, I will be interested in this comparison, please do link it here when it is done. I have auditioned the Mainline briefly with the HD800 and there was something in the instrument placement which seems odd compared to the other amps on our mini-meet. Hope it was just one off (or my hallucination.)

I had most of it done, then firefox crapped out on me and I lost everything.  Oh well, back to the music...

On a related note, the big thing about mine is that it has a very deep and wide soundstage, noticeably larger than all my other amps*. That might be part of the problem for you, it does take a bit of getting used to.

*Have not finished getting used to my new Inspire "Fire Bottle" 45/Inspire LP-27a combo, can't comment fully on that setup yet.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #5,306 of 9,484
Apr 4, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #5,307 of 9,484
  Well, my amp comparison thread is up and running. Criticism and comments would be greatly appreciated.

I appreciate what you're trying to do there, and I dont have Trump-style cash either, but a 'battle' between 2-3 amps ?? That's a comparo, sure - a battle needs a few more contenders  :wink:

My personal hero on HF for a long time was this guy - admittedly these were only portable amps but he had quite a few desktop amps too :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-final-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b

We've had a few Head-Fiers attempt to do something similar with 'phones - particularly ljokerl's incredible IEM roundup - but it gets expensive with amps. Good luck with your quest - I'm about to list most of my gear and move on to the next phase in my audio evolution. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #5,308 of 9,484
Estreeter,
Your link gives us info on products posted from 2007 to 2011
Got anything a bit more current..???..

Smitty's comparisons,might grow ,as members start to answer his link,maybe we should give it a few more weeks-No?
He just started his link,25 minutes ago?

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #5,309 of 9,484

I appreciate what you're trying to do there, and I dont have Trump-style cash either, but a 'battle' between 2-3 amps ?? That's a comparo, sure - a battle needs a few more contenders  :wink:

My personal hero on HF for a long time was this guy - admittedly these were only portable amps but he had quite a few desktop amps too :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/214588/review-portable-amp-roundup-56-portable-amps-reviewed-and-compared-final-update-12-20-10-added-rsa-sr-71b

We've had a few Head-Fiers attempt to do something similar with 'phones - particularly ljokerl's incredible IEM roundup - but it gets expensive with amps. Good luck with your quest - I'm about to list most of my gear and move on to the next phase in my audio evolution. 

The idea is that I'll get my Bijou in working order again (I can't turn the think on right now without taking the amp apart, I almost wish it had a power switch in the back that didn't depend on a long shaft reaching through the internals of the amp), and I'm eying a WA5. I would like to continue to add more amps overtime, though it's slow going at the moment because of cash. Winning the lottery looks like the best way to get faster updates at this time. Honestly, I went into a lot of purchases blind because it's so hard to find reviews for some gear, or the reviews is for an older revision, etc. Really one of the main reasons to make that thread was because I actually get a decent number of questions from various users for comparisons against the Rag, and I keep typing out the same fairly long things over and over.
  Estreeter,
Your link gives us info on products posted from 2007 to 2011
Got anything a bit more current..???..

Smitty's comparisons,might grow ,as members start to answer his link,maybe we should give it a few more weeks-No?
He just started his link,25 minutes ago?

I don't mind the criticism because it's constructive, it helps me improve the thread. I want to provide a resource for the people that have PM'd me about amps and want more than just a quick impression. I'd also like to see some other similar threads, though they seem to be buried pretty well if they're still active.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #5,310 of 9,484
  The idea is that I'll get my Bijou in working order again (I can't turn the think on right now without taking the amp apart, I almost wish it had a power switch in the back that didn't depend on a long shaft reaching through the internals of the amp), and I'm eying a WA5. I would like to continue to add more amps overtime, though it's slow going at the moment because of cash. Winning the lottery looks like the best way to get faster updates at this time. Honestly, I went into a lot of purchases blind because it's so hard to find reviews for some gear, or the reviews is for an older revision, etc. Really one of the main reasons to make that thread was because I actually get a decent number of questions from various users for comparisons against the Rag, and I keep typing out the same fairly long things over and over.
I don't mind the criticism because it's constructive, it helps me improve the thread. I want to provide a resource for the people that have PM'd me about amps and want more than just a quick impression. I'd also like to see some other similar threads, though they seem to be buried pretty well if they're still active.

How about a resource about.......Dacs,? maybe I'l finally learn something?? ..LOL.

Have you guys heard anything about the Yiggy being listed on the Schiit site next week??,or is this just hogwash??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back