New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 17, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #5,087 of 9,484
PLEASE NOTE: I don't want to say that units sold in EU will have inferior QUALITY (OBVIOUSLY). I say this:

In my humble opinion, given the current EU situation, units sold in EU will be in inferior QUANTITY than originally planned by shiit some months ago.

The power of words. I should have been more clear in my previous post and I wished to clarify that. My fault. This is only my opinion, anyway, and I hope to be wrong. The sure thing is that EVERY Ragnarok will be top-notch.

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #5,088 of 9,484
The EU selling thing was a simple consequence of current EU economic situation. I wish schiit to export Thor hammer even to Mars, though. One last question, that started it all, then will be definitely a case closed for me, time to go back to music: what's the official reason price increased from 1.730 € to 1.890 €, which is equal to 2.000 $?
Then I could say, according to your reply: other guys before us bought it @ 1.730 €, why should we buy it @ 1.890 €? As you can see, we've many reasons to be disappointed. Would you be happy to see Rag suddenly go from 1.700 $ to 2.000 $ in US? I think not. If I'm gonna buy a Ferrari, I suppose price (at least with the same currency) would be equal for everyone.
Then, I REALLY suppose schiit didn't intend to make discounts for US $, but € is another matter, because 1.700 $ should currently be 1.620 €, but as you can see it is 1.890 € instead (!). So, a 270 € discount would still lend to the equivalent 1.700 $ US price. No discount but discounted, incredible, isn't it? Obviously, we should consider VAT, anyway.

(sorry for triple post but I don't know how to remove the blank message)

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #5,089 of 9,484
If you go to schiit-europe.com and add a Ragnarok to your cart, the base price is actually 1562EUR which is $1657USD, which is less than the retail price here in the US. The difference is VAT.

So technically you are getting a deal.

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #5,090 of 9,484
Nice idea, I just tried to do the same thing with the previous offer (1.730 €) and, considering the previous exchange rate between $ and €, it results that actual price increase should be due only to the actual ****ty exchange rate. That seems to be the only reason, so good news, whilst bad news for us is that we should have bought it sooner, without waiting for Yggy. Well, this means that we'll basically wait for the currency rate to improve again, so that EU Ragnarok price will set back to 1700 € - 1750 € range like before. Thanks everyone.

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #5,091 of 9,484
@Pidgeon 

From your posts, I suspect that you have bigger fish to fry than a new amp and DAC from the US : if things really are that bad in the EU at the moment, these are luxury purchases at a time when it would appear you should be saving your money for necessities. We're not meant to talk politics here, so I'll leave you with one final thought : you had the opportunity to buy the Rag at the original EU price a month or two ago and you didn't - as I said earlier, timing is everything. It's all well and good to predict that Schiit will lose sales to its competitors because the current price doesnt line up with your disposable income, but I fail to see how Jason and Mike have any control over this at all. If you look at the 'About Us' on the Schiit Europe site, its obvious that it's a third party selling Schiit into Europe. Perhaps you should put your case to them - this definitely isnt an issue for Schiit USA. 

Schiit Audio is represented by Sonority-Audio Import, which is among others, the EU officialdistributor for brands like ADAM Audio, Burson,YBA etc. Our products are distinguished in the absolute sense in pure sound quality and finish and thus fit into our philosophy. The brands on this website like Schiit Audio had chosen to sell there products not through a dealer network but to have only one sole distributor and direct salespoint. Which means the customer has the advantage of a good price performance ratio and direct contact with the distributor or better said us...

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #5,092 of 9,484
The Euro currency devaluation is exactly aimed to do that, curb imports and boost exports. Prices in my country have been steadily increasing every three months so I have also been buying stuff at the earliest opportunity or deferring the purchase altogether or buying good deals 2nd hand. I can imagine that people in Europe and the US aren't used to this kind of thing after years of pricing stability. I'm also saving up for an Yggy, but it will have to wait a long time at this rate. Still doesn't in any way negate the value on offer, it is simply economic realities.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #5,095 of 9,484
*Ahem* Back on topic, has anyone in this thread been to a meet recently that had the Yggy v0.99 pre-production model available for auditioning? If so, would you care to post some brief impressions or comparisons? Thanks! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #5,096 of 9,484
  *Ahem* Back on topic, has anyone in this thread been to a meet recently that had the Yggy v0.99 pre-production model available for auditioning? If so, would you care to post some brief impressions or comparisons? Thanks! 
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/758975/southeastern-michigan-spring-meet-hosted-by-overture-audio-ann-arbor-mi-3-14-15#post_11414300

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #5,097 of 9,484
 Has anyone used ragnarok as a preamp ? I would like some opinions about its performance as a balanced preamp. I have a pair of emotiva stealth 8 active monitors . How well does the ragnarok work as a preamp ? My other consideration is  the grace  design m 905 analog monitor controller .  Any opinions as to how they compare ?

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #5,098 of 9,484
   Has anyone used ragnarok as a preamp ? I would like some opinions about its performance as a balanced preamp. I have a pair of emotiva stealth 8 active monitors . How well does the ragnarok work as a preamp ? My other consideration is  the grace  design m 905 analog monitor controller .  Any opinions as to how they compare ?

There's a post in the Rag thread of it powering $40K (5 foot tall) speakers.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #5,099 of 9,484

Hey Buson160 -

I think there might be an issue with Rag as a preamp - depending on which outputs are used to feed the amp. Remember Rag is fully balanced, which means no channel comingling. So for the SE headphone jack, Schiit inserts a "summer" circuit before the jack. As quite a few people on this thread can testify, this translates to a noticeable drop in sound quality when going from balanced to SE with phones. I call it "the summer of our discontent."

Here's the thing - I believe the same "summer" is used in front of the RCA outs. Jason can correct me if I'm mistaken. If so, I have no reason to doubt that a comparable deleterious effect on SQ would be heard when using the RCAs to feed an amp which has only RCA inputs. I believe, and again just going from memory, that a few people have used Rag as pre and been underwhelmed. The solution would be to use Rag's balanced outs to an amp with balanced ins - I'm not sure balanced-to-RCA adapters could be used without tripping the Rag's protection circuitry.

There's also cautions in the manual (quickly downloadable at the Schiit site) about using the Rag with any speakers where the two communicate with each other. Peruse that  or email Schiit direct.

I use the RCA outs to feed the subwoofer, which works fine. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #5,100 of 9,484
Any take on the pre-amp balanced outs?  I'm using them on a subwoofer I just got this week.  Still working it out...I assume the Rag balanced pre-amp out outs are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back