New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 17, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #5,071 of 9,484
  We all know the charts, simple problem is that now that price raised, another great suspect is that very hardly it'll come back to 1.730 €. Oviously it isn't shiit fault if global economy goes bad (or not?
ph34r.gif
), but raising the EU price so much when in U.S. is still being sold @ 1699 $, pisses me of. Like I said, we'll wait for the price to drop, or we'll stick with the other great amp, even if not integrated. Apparently a win-win situation, but maybe someone is willing to pay 1900 € = 2000 $ for Rag in EU. Not us. But case is closed.

Um, the last time I checked the price of Yggdrasil is ≈ $2300 (USD) from Schiit.

JJ

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #5,073 of 9,484
^ Dude, I sympathize. Rag comes to about US$2190 in New Zealand (if I buy direct; more if I go through Australia).

But it is what it is. If we really want Schiit technology we pay the price or wait - like you say - for more favorable exchange rates.
It sure isn't Schiit's fault they came up with these desirable products. As you say, there isn't much they can do about the global situation (yet?!) and there isn't anything head-fiers can do about it!

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #5,074 of 9,484
1699$ x Current exchange rate €/$ (0,943253848€ = 1 $ ) =  1602€   add VAT ( 20%) => 1923€ . that's as simple as this.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #5,075 of 9,484
Well, I appreciate schiit for what they're giving us, really. The industry needed new tech in audio department. However, me and other have put together "only" around 1700 € for this great amp, given its previous 1730 € price, and we can't afford it for 200 € more. This is what basically pissed me of, knowing that price was once set at 200 € less, and we waited for so long. Anyway, I don't want to pay for technology, obviously sound is what matter. Rag sound is great, no doubts, but other amps are on par with sound even with less features, but we would be going to use amp only with HP, so we've already found an (equally great) alternative. Anyway, if schiit europe will come up with a special discounted bundle Raggy+Yggy in EU for a limited time, it would be a great and succesfull idea. We'll wait for the upcoming Yggy release and see if things get better, then we'll make our final decision.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #5,076 of 9,484
  Well, I appreciate schiit for what they're giving us, really. The industry needed new tech in audio department. However, me and other have put together "only" around 1700 € for this great amp, given its previous 1730 € price, and we can't afford it for 200 € more. This is what basically pissed me of, knowing that price was once set at 200 € less, and we waited for so long. Anyway, I don't want to pay for technology, obviously sound is what matter. Rag sound is great, no doubts, but other amps are on par with sound even with less features, but we would be going to use amp only with HP, so we've already found an (equally great) alternative. Anyway, if schiit europe will come up with a special discounted bundle Raggy+Yggy in EU for a limited time, it would be a great and succesfull idea. We'll wait for the upcoming Yggy release and see if things get better, then we'll make our final decision.

You want Schiit to pay the sales tax for you? 

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #5,077 of 9,484
No, if you read the discussion you'll notice that disappointment started when Rag price went from 1730 € to 1890 €, supposedly only due the recent rate change between €/$. Sales taxes existed @ 1730 €, sale taxes still exist @ 1890 €.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #5,078 of 9,484
  Well, I appreciate schiit for what they're giving us, really. The industry needed new tech in audio department. However, me and other have put together "only" around 1700 € for this great amp, given its previous 1730 € price, and we can't afford it for 200 € more. This is what basically pissed me of, knowing that price was once set at 200 € less, and we waited for so long. Anyway, I don't want to pay for technology, obviously sound is what matter. Rag sound is great, no doubts, but other amps are on par with sound even with less features, but we would be going to use amp only with HP, so we've already found an (equally great) alternative. Anyway, if schiit europe will come up with a special discounted bundle Raggy+Yggy in EU for a limited time, it would be a great and succesfull idea. We'll wait for the upcoming Yggy release and see if things get better, then we'll make our final decision

Your logic for why Schiit should discount their product for the EU escapes me.  

The exchange rate and VAT has nothing to do with them.  Nor does your inability to come up with 200 more euros.  

At any rate, if you've read the "Schiit Happened" thread, you know that they don't do that Schiit (put products on sale).

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #5,079 of 9,484
  Your logic for why Schiit should discount their product for the EU escapes me.

My logic is simple: I see what's going around. Go have a visit @ schiit-EU, you'll see for yourself that some products are getting discounted price (but these starts from a higher price, obviously, so no real discount compared to $ price). So logic implies that this could reasonably happen to Ragnarok, given its recent price increase.
A Ragnarok + Yggdrasil bundle offered for a limited time in discounted form, like other sellers do when launching a product, would be a best seller, and it would tempt EU buyers into buying the complete set even during this bad economic situation here in EU. But these are only my 2 cents.

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #5,080 of 9,484
  Yggdrasil will be sold @ 2.300 $, I was talking about Ragnarok which is sold @ 1.699 $ in US, and the equivalent of 2.000 $ in EU.

Ah I see now.

My bad…

JJ :thumb

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #5,081 of 9,484

My logic is simple: I see what's going around. Go have a visit @ schiit-EU, you'll see for yourself that some products are getting discounted price (but these starts from a higher price, obviously, so no real discount compared to $ price). So logic implies that this could reasonably happen to Ragnarok, given its recent price increase.
A Ragnarok + Yggdrasil bundle offered for a limited time in discounted form, like other sellers do when launching a product, would be a best seller, and it would tempt EU buyers into buying the complete set even during this bad economic situation here in EU. But these are only my 2 cents.

The Ragnarok and Yggdrasil are going to be bestsellers anyway, sold as a combo or separately without discounts. As a manufacturer it wouldn't make sense to discount in that case. Also the items you are talking on discount are basically B-stock or old stock superseded by newer versions. Thus the logic of bundling these at a discount to sell in Europe escapes me.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #5,082 of 9,484
Yes I'm pretty sure I remember Jason stating in his Schiit happened thread they don't discount, don't run sales. This probably excludes bundles as well. The reasons are well explained there. It's about maintaining a simple business model that minimizes cost overall.

What I think you're saying though is that the cost increase in Europe is not fully explained by US/EUR exchange movements? If this is what you mean, you suspect Schiit Europe (if there is such an entity) has raised prices unfairly? If not, I'm not sure where this is going :confused:

Regardless, good luck getting the best deal you can, whether Rag or one of its comparable competitors.

(Btw, when I said 'technology' I meant it in terms of its SQ delivery. Jason has stated this is the sole rationale for their engineering choices. Pretty much, I believe him!).

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #5,083 of 9,484
@AiDee

The only "problem" that started everything was that schiit-europe (about) a month ago listed Ragnarok @ 1.730 €, and suddenly raised it to ~1.900 €, which made me and others very disappointed. This is equivalent to 2.000 $, against the original 1.699 $ US price. Moreover it wasn't even reported that 1.730 € was a special deal, indeed it was the normal price, even if it currently 1.730 € would have been 1.816 $. Otherwise we'd have bought that sooner, that's obvious. We stupidly waited for Yggdrasil so that we would have bought both at the same time. Sooner is better, but you know this later.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #5,084 of 9,484

The Ragnarok and Yggdrasil are going to be bestsellers anyway, sold as a combo or separately without discounts. As a manufacturer it wouldn't make sense to discount in that case. Also the items you are talking on discount are basically B-stock or old stock superseded by newer versions. Thus the logic of bundling these at a discount to sell in Europe escapes me.

I definitely don't agree with your opinion. Probably and hopefully Ygg+Raggy are going to be bestsellers in the US, but situation changed for EU. Not because the Rag price "only" raised about 200 €, but because here we're aware that we should even try to look for wise investments, because our currency is very fragile actually. So you need a long-term view. As a seller, it would be of vital importance for me to know the status of the economy where I would want to export my products. Who knew € would have lost so much power in such few months? Few guys are able to afford products at 1.700 €, and I believe schiit wanted to keep prices low to offer good products to the "masses", as you might know, expecting many units sold. Now prices even increased to 1.900 €? Currently this is a bad economic situation if I want to export in EU. Obviously, "don't buy them", someone could say. Me and other two currently aren't going to buy Ragnarok indeed, sadly I add, given the current situation, so as you can see you missed the point. Situation changes, sales changes. What guarantee you that others, having noticed the price increase and general situation, would still buy it? Law of supply and demand could make things clear:
Good economic situation: big demand & medium supply = I increase prices.
Bad economic situation: low demand due to crisis and increased prices & medium supply = I decrease prices or offer special deals.
I suppose you're not aware of the current EU situation, but probably this will be the worst period if you want to export to EU. And you still haven't seen what will happen the last 3 months of this year. And bad for us for our import, because of the changed currency rates. So, in EU you currently have two options, especially if you thought to sell many units of your product:
- Wait for the economic status to recover (when?).
- Offer some time-limited special offers (e.g. bundles in case of Rag+Yggy on launch) and TEMPT the undecided buyers to catch the deal.
This happens everywhere. Hey, they even did that in US with the Rag prototype, offering it at 1.500 $ and fully working. But I don't pretend to teach marketing. I'm not a magician and I haven't access to schiit sale stats, but I think that units sold in EU will probably will be inferior than imagined months ago. Unfortunately I add, because I like schiit products, and I wish schiit the best of luck. But this currently applies to every non UE exporter, until situation gets better.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #5,085 of 9,484
If i had the money, i would buy both. If i don't, i would either save up or don't buy at all. Just because you want a Ferrari doesn't mean that Ferrari will sell a car at the price you want. It's simply the law of supply and demand at work. If you like Schiit's products, prepare to pay the price they're asking. There are other manufacturers also with similar products you know.

Also think it from Schiit's point of view; once they sell something on discount, people everywhere will want a discount. Those who didn't get the discount will be pissed. Schiit will become dependent on discounts as people will hold of on buying their products otherwise. It's better to avoid all of this in the first place.

What do you mean by "but I think that units sold in EU will probably will be inferior than imagined months ago".

Are you saying that they will purposely make the product quality inferior just to sell it in Europe? Are you kidding? That's making a very serious allegation and considered slander if not backed up with facts. Just because you can't get what you want at the price you want doesn't mean that you can spread baseless allegations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back