NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #301 of 2,741
Or maybe save up for the Gungir?

Now thats overkill, not only because the gungnir is fully balanced, and youd have to have your DT880s recabled, but also because the gungnir puts out FAR more power than the DT880 need.

Id say you should stick with the asgard 2, gungnir is an amo more appropriate for things like Hifiman, audeze, or beyers and sennheiser much more high end models like the HD800 or the T1

I think you guys mean the Mjolnir, the Gungnir is the DAC.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #302 of 2,741
Quote:
Quote:
Or maybe save up for the Gungir?

Quote:
Now thats overkill, not only because the gungnir is fully balanced, and youd have to have your DT880s recabled, but also because the gungnir puts out FAR more power than the DT880 need.

Id say you should stick with the asgard 2, gungnir is an amo more appropriate for things like Hifiman, audeze, or beyers and sennheiser much more high end models like the HD800 or the T1

I think you guys mean the Mjolnir, the Gungnir is the DAC.

I mean the Gungir. I don't think it would be overkill. I'm going to be in this business a long time. Might as well settle down with a fantastic amp/DAC(Mojo/Gungir) 

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #305 of 2,741
Quote:
Has anyone been able to compare A2 and Lyr with HE-500?

I've tried/compared A2 and lyr with the he-4 which would be similar to the he500...with the he-4 being a little harder to drive actually. The A2 is a good amp and pairs well with HFM phones. It was able to drive the he-4 quite well. I did have to run the A2 on high gain. The lyr on a good set of tubes sounding clearly better. Dynamics were better especially at lower volume and mids were fleshed out to another level, but...you're talking about a lot more money. On a budget, the A2 does admirably well. If you've got the money, go for the lyr. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #306 of 2,741
Quote:
I mean the Gungir. I don't think it would be overkill. I'm going to be in this business a long time. Might as well settle down with a fantastic amp/DAC(Mojo/Gungir) 

I only said it was overkill because an $800 amp paired with a set of $250 cans isnt exactly ideal. Its not like the amp is going to make them sound like T1s or anything.

Most people around here, at least from what Ive seen, would recommend you spend more on the headphones themselves than the amp. 

For the same money you will be spending on the Mjolnir and DT880s, I would get an Asgard 2 and HE-500s, and its quite obvious which pairing would come out on top.

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #307 of 2,741
Quote:
Quote:

I only said it was overkill because an $800 amp paired with a set of $250 cans isnt exactly ideal. Its not like the amp is going to make them sound like T1s or anything.

Most people around here, at least from what Ive seen, would recommend you spend more on the headphones themselves than the amp. 

For the same money you will be spending on the Mjolnir and DT880s, I would get an Asgard 2 and HE-500s, and its quite obvious which pairing would come out on top.

I got a Heir Audio 4.Ai for $655 when I could've gotten the HE-500's. I tried the HE-500's and wasn't too impressed for the price. Anyways, it would be $1650 amp/DAC paired with a $250 headphone
size]

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #308 of 2,741
Quote:

I've tried/compared A2 and lyr with the he-4 which would be similar to the he500...with the he-4 being a little harder to drive actually. The A2 is a good amp and pairs well with HFM phones. It was able to drive the he-4 quite well. I did have to run the A2 on high gain. The lyr on a good set of tubes sounding clearly better. Dynamics were better especially at lower volume and mids were fleshed out to another level, but...you're talking about a lot more money. On a budget, the A2 does admirably well. If you've got the money, go for the lyr. 

I have been leaning towards bifrost/lyr, so I may as well just take the plunge. Also, I have never owned a tube/hybrid amp, so I'm quite curious how one sounds. My only worry is that I'll drop $800 and hear no improvement over my Pico amp/dac. 

What tubes are you using?  

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #311 of 2,741

Quote:
Has anyone been able to compare A2 and Lyr with HE-500?

Curious about this as well as I am running HE-500's with my A2 and something isn't quite right. Beginning to think I should have gone for the Lyr.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #312 of 2,741
Sanlitun,

Can you give us more info
What exactly doesn't sound right?
Is there any noise issues?

How long have you had it??

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #315 of 2,741
I have no channel imbalance in my Asgard 1, and I had no imbalance in my Asgard 2 when I had it.  Channel imbalances are common with unattenuated volume pots at lower volumes.  It's not a manufacturing defect, but just an unintended consequence. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back