NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #316 of 2,741
Quote:
I have no channel imbalance in my Asgard 1, and I had no imbalance in my Asgard 2 when I had it.  Channel imbalances are common with unattenuated volume pots at lower volumes.  It's not a manufacturing defect, but just an unintended consequence. 

I have 4 pieces of audio equipment that use the same pot (Alps Blue Velvet) including the Asgard 1. I guess I'm lucky. I haven't noticed an imbalance with any of them 

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #318 of 2,741
Transformer hum was unacceptable.  Supposedly, they are working on this for the next batch.  Also, with low impedance headphones, there was a high noise floor even with low gain enabled.  I use primary high impedance headphones, so that wasn't the deal breaker.  The hum was.  Other than that, it was a bloody good sounding amp.

Quote:
For you folks who had the Asgard 2, what problems led you not to keep it? I'm considering picking up an Asgard 2 to complement my NFB 15.1, but there seems to be a mixed response to the new version.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #319 of 2,741
Quote:
Transformer hum was unacceptable.  Supposedly, they are working on this for the next batch.  Also, with low impedance headphones, there was a high noise floor even with low gain enabled.  I use primary high impedance headphones, so that wasn't the deal breaker.  The hum was.  Other than that, it was a bloody good sounding amp.

I see. I remember reading about transformer hum, and I doubt it would bother me much.

However...I am surprised to hear about the issue with low impedance headphones. I was under the impression the Asgard was a very good amp for low impedance headphones. I intended to use it with Grados / Magnums, and to use it as an avenue toward higher end dynamic headphones (HD800 / T1). Is the noise floor a problem on both the Asgard 1 and 2?

If and when the transformer hum is eliminated, do you plan to replace your Asgard with the Asgard 2?

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #320 of 2,741
I'm not so patiently waiting for the Canadian distributor to get stock of the next batch.  I'm going to order one as soon as they do.  Looking forward to driving my HD 600s and AKG Sextetts.  Really interested how the AKGs will perform being 600 ohm. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #321 of 2,741
Quote:

+1 I had no problems with the sound of the amp. It sounded great with my HD600. The hum was my only complaint. I felt if I tried to sell it it would always be "the early version with the hum."  I would of waited for the second batch but shortly after returning it I decided to get the HE-500 so I went with the Lyr instead. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #322 of 2,741
Quote:
Sanlitun,

Can you give us more info
What exactly doesn't sound right?
Is there any noise issues?

How long have you had it??

My A2 has some transformer hum but I haven't noticed any issues with signal noise. I've controlled the hum quite a bit by putting a weight on top of the case, but I assume I will have to send it in for RMA soon. I've been waiting for the next generation of A2's to ship and see what the reviews are like here.

As far as the sound goes it is a really nice hot sounding little class a amp. It sounds fantastic with my HD650s.

I feel the HE-500s are more power hungry than is generally assumed. It seems that pretty much any source can achieve a decent low end and a dynamic slam with them, but if you want treble and space it takes juice. There is a clear difference running the HE-500 with the low or high gain setting on the A2. I find the mids and treble are recessed on the low gain setting, and that leads me to think they would benefit from even more power. 

That's not to say they don't sound good with the A2, they do. But you can't help but get the feeling they are capable of more.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #323 of 2,741
The A1 was much quieter with low impedance headphones than the A2.

You ask a good question.  I'm still deciding.  As good as the A2 is, in all honesty, the A1 isn't far behind.  I'm not sure I can justify or feel motivated enough to unseat the A1 for the A2.

Quote:
I see. I remember reading about transformer hum, and I doubt it would bother me much.

However...I am surprised to hear about the issue with low impedance headphones. I was under the impression the Asgard was a very good amp for low impedance headphones. I intended to use it with Grados / Magnums, and to use it as an avenue toward higher end dynamic headphones (HD800 / T1). Is the noise floor a problem on both the Asgard 1 and 2?

If and when the transformer hum is eliminated, do you plan to replace your Asgard with the Asgard 2?

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #324 of 2,741
My A2 has some transformer hum but I haven't noticed any issues with signal noise. I've controlled the hum quite a bit by putting a weight on top of the case, but I assume I will have to send it in for RMA soon. I've been waiting for the next generation of A2's to ship and see what the reviews are like here.

I thought only the early a1s hummed, then they fixed it. Once I'm aware of hum, I can't get by it. Had a few ground loops through the years that drove me crazy.

Valhalla is 'In a Silent Way' with 32 ohm RS1s and 300 ohm HD650s. No hum, no tube rush, normal volume is 11:30.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #326 of 2,741
I tried my A2 with my self-modified Fostex.  I couldn't hear much difference between the A1 and A2 when driving them.  People seem to refuse to admit that planars aren't as influenced by flavors of amplification as dynamics are.

Quote:
Anyone try the A2 with mad dogs or paradox? Also, interested to learn how many people can comment on noise issues with low z cans ?

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #328 of 2,741
I would have to vehemently disagree with the A2 and "high noise floor" in Low Gain mode with low impedance phones. 

I use Grado RS1's and the A2 is absolutely dead quite.  My source player is rated at -115dB signal-to-noise and my preamp that is chained to the A2 is rated at -97dB (not excellent).  I have an A2 with the transformer hum and it is still...you guessed it -- dead quite.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #329 of 2,741
Then you must be a lucky one.  With my V-Moda M-80s, I can hear a hiss with low gain while the volume is set at 8:00.

Quote:
I would have to vehemently disagree with the A2 and "high noise floor" in Low Gain mode with low impedance phones. 

I use Grado RS1's and the A2 is absolutely dead quite.  My source player is rated at -115dB signal-to-noise and my preamp that is chained to the A2 is rated at -97dB (not excellent).  I have an A2 with the transformer hum and it is still...you guessed it -- dead quite.

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #330 of 2,741
i would not put a transformer on the pcb by the way. 
A separate box with a good umbilical it is a common solution as the amp is not portable so one more little box is a non issue.
All transformers have vibration.
Is a power cord without ground effective in taming the noise/hum ?
Thanks and regards,
gino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back