New Sansa Clip Zip is out!
Oct 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #361 of 402
Every so often I listen to an album on my Toshiba laptop, decide I like it and put it on my Zip and am once again amazed at what that cheap little piece of plastic can do.
I'm now listening to a flac version of sting's latest album and am amazed at the detail it adds to the music. I'm suddenly hearing lows that just weren't there before.

If there's anything better in the sub-100 euros class I'd be curious to know.

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #362 of 402
The e10 looks so small in your pick 
eek.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #363 of 402
The e10 looks so small in your pick :eek:

Oh, me? I actually didn't realise it looks like the E10. That's actually the Headphone Switcher 2 (HS2) device, which allows you to A/B/C/D headphones, amps, DACs, or sources.

In the photo I previously posted, I was A/B-ing the iPhone 4S and Clip Zip with approximate volume-matching.

A/B-ing amps would look something like this:

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #364 of 402
Oh, me? I actually didn't realise it looks like the E10. That's actually the Headphone Switcher 2 (HS2) device, which allows you to A/B/C/D headphones, amps, DACs, or sources.

In the photo I previously posted, I was A/B-ing the iPhone 4S and Clip Zip with approximate volume-matching.

A/B-ing amps would look something like this:

Hehe you are right, my eyes after waking up fail miserably.

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #365 of 402

I appreciate your comprehensive response :smile:   you even covered the flac-mp3 stuff. thanks. BTW, i notice you have a fuze+, is it still a bad player, like most people say? especially now that its rockbox firmware is close to 100% im considering it because of the bigger screen, i guess im a sucker for album arts :smile: and can you comment about its build quality? will it last at least for 2 years?

I've been able find all of them on amazon for between $15 refurbished and $30 new waiting for sales, so I have bought an assortmen. I place them where I use them - office, gym bag, bedroom, etc. This provides me with a backup in case the battery runs out or if one is lost or stollen. I have purchased 2 clip+, 2 zips, and one fuse+. I would be hard pressed to be able to tell them apart in a blind listening test so it is really down to form factor. I only use the fuse+ in bed where I don't move around so with the dx50 and c3/bh2 available, it doesn't get much play time. Like you I like larger screens so I favor the rockboxed zip. Plenty of space for important data, but still just clip to your shirt and go allowing the use of smaller cables or cable management methods so you don't snag thing on the go.

Conversely, to use the dx50 on the go, I have to get aand insert it into a case that will attach to my arm or belt and string the cable through my clothing to prevent snagging. The added time this takes negates the ability to use it for short or hurried trips - maybe it's just me.

As for quality, each still serves me well with the exception of the refurbished $15 clip plus who's battery died in a little over a year of consistent use.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #366 of 402

My only pmp ipod touch is now dead, so now i'm also considering the clip zip and the 2012 sony walkman e series (e474). i dont need to have both, and i don't think i want them both, so which should i choose? and i'm aware that the walkman costs twice as much but, is the walkman better than the clip zip? ( i don't think i need lossless files because im just using vsonic iems, the vsd1 ans gr06, so obviously not high end to really notice v0 from flac, i guess. My music collection is young and 4gb is more than enough.) Aesthetically, the walkman looks better of course. In what way will the clip zip be better? or is paying more for the walkman worth it? Thank you.

In terms of sound, it is the standard that I compare everything else to. It makes my iPhone 5 and iPod Classic sound like junk in comparison.

I find that hard to believe. The Clip Zip is good, but so are the newer iDevices. The iPhone 4S has better instrument definition and a weightier bottom to me. Otherwise the differences are pretty minimal and anything but large enough to make one sound significantly worse than the other.

I had the iPhone 3, 4, and now the 5, as well as iPod Classic 6th generation. I have never actually listened to music on my wife's iPhone 4S. In listening it has always been casual back and forth listening without volume matching. Also the differences that I am hearing may be due to environment or even the headphones used or even differences in taste. In addition, "sound like junk" is a little harsh as they sound great on their own so I apologize for that. I personally wish the iPhone 5 could compete with the likes of the dx100 or balanced 901 in both dac and amp so I could only carry 1 device.

However, the main point I was trying to make about the zip is that you can increase form factor and usability exponentially for less money without sacrificing sound quality - and in my opinion even increasing sound quality as well.

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #367 of 402
  My only pmp ipod touch is now dead, so now i'm also considering the clip zip and the 2012 sony walkman e series (e474). i dont need to have both, and i don't think i want them both, so which should i choose? and i'm aware that the walkman costs twice as much but, is the walkman better than the clip zip? ( i don't think i need lossless files because im just using vsonic iems, the vsd1 ans gr06, so obviously not high end to really notice v0 from flac, i guess. My music collection is young and 4gb is more than enough.) Aesthetically, the walkman looks better of course. In what way will the clip zip be better? or is paying more for the walkman worth it? Thank you.

I love the sound of the Clip, but I never liked the buttons and small screen. Much prefer my Sonys for UI and buttons. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #368 of 402
I have never in my life had so many problems with something as trying to install Rockbox on my ClipZip. I am CompTia certified, I have tried for many hours to install this SUCKASS software on my ClipZip. Whenever I try to REGISTER on their forum to try and resolve my problem, my PASSWORD doesn't match, or my verification is wrong????? Rockbox sucks for ClipZip. Please don't ask for any details, I am done. satwilson

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #369 of 402
  Every so often I listen to an album on my Toshiba laptop, decide I like it and put it on my Zip and am once again amazed at what that cheap little piece of plastic can do.
I'm now listening to a flac version of sting's latest album and am amazed at the detail it adds to the music. I'm suddenly hearing lows that just weren't there before.

If there's anything better in the sub-100 euros class I'd be curious to know.

But can it interface to your Nikon DSLR?

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #370 of 402
  I have never in my life had so many problems with something as trying to install Rockbox on my ClipZip. I am CompTia certified, I have tried for many hours to install this SUCKASS software on my ClipZip. Whenever I try to REGISTER on their forum to try and resolve my problem, my PASSWORD doesn't match, or my verification is wrong????? Rockbox sucks for ClipZip. Please don't ask for any details, I am done. satwilson

It takes a matter of minutes.
smile.gif

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GraphicalInstall 

most common problem with first time installs....not having Clip in MSC USB mode.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #371 of 402

It takes a matter of minutes.
smile.gif

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/GraphicalInstall 

most common problem with first time installs....not having Clip in MSC USB mode.

Thanks for your patience with my somewhat over the top attitude. First off, yes, in MSC mode. I did use the wiki graphic install instructions, however once the screen with auto-detect at the bottom came up and I selected it the program would stop responding and the error message as such came up, Windows never found a solution, it just hung up, numerous tries. Most annoying, trying to register on the forum for help was impossible, see my above post. I have no idea why I had so many problems and searched many websites for answers, many posts with similar issues, some resolved, others not. I have tried twice for over 2 hours each with no success. The good, I like the player and the sound and the native UI works for me. SQ will be the same either way. so I am happy with the Zip, not so with Rockbox.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #372 of 402

Thanks for your patience with my somewhat over the top attitude. First off, yes, in MSC mode. I did use the wiki graphic install instructions, however once the screen with auto-detect at the bottom came up and I selected it the program would stop responding and the error message as such came up, Windows never found a solution, it just hung up, numerous tries. Most annoying, trying to register on the forum for help was impossible, see my above post. I have no idea why I had so many problems and searched many websites for answers, many posts with similar issues, some resolved, others not. I have tried twice for over 2 hours each with no success. The good, I like the player and the sound and the native UI works for me. SQ will be the same either way. so I am happy with the Zip, not so with Rockbox.

I suspect if you had manually selected the correct player from the list, as opposed to dealing with the auto-select fail, it may have worked. Regardless, if you're happy with the player as is, then enjoy!

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #373 of 402
I did mine with the automatic setup.  I was having issues until I used an older version of the firmware from Sansa's website.  I think I had to use 1.1.17 instead of the latest 1.1.20 or something like that.  Worked fine after I did that.  It took me some playing around with for about a week, but I figured it out eventually.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #374 of 402
I cut off the thin part of the clip with some wire cutters (or sharp scissors) and then i just ripped the hinge part off with some pliers. i was careful to not bend the back plate of the zip so that it wouldn't expose any electronics. Then I sanded the entire back smooth with some 100 grit sandpaper. After this, I used some 300 grit to smooth it some more, then i went to 400 grit, and finally 600 grit. It turned out really well, besides the dent on the back from where the hinge was, no one would ever know it was modified.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #375 of 402
  I cut off the thin part of the clip with some wire cutters (or sharp scissors) and then i just ripped the hinge part off with some pliers. i was careful to not bend the back plate of the zip so that it wouldn't expose any electronics. Then I sanded the entire back smooth with some 100 grit sandpaper. After this, I used some 300 grit to smooth it some more, then i went to 400 grit, and finally 600 grit. It turned out really well, besides the dent on the back from where the hinge was, no one would ever know it was modified.

Why would you do that? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back