New Sansa Clip Zip is out!
Apr 21, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #331 of 402
I just Rockboxed my clip zip....still learning the interface of rockbox.......how do I make the text bigger

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #332 of 402
Quote:
I just Rockboxed my clip zip....still learning the interface of rockbox.......how do I make the text bigger

Since I am still awaiting for delivery of my Sansa Clip Zip (complete newbie), I'd be highly interested if you could report back in some days your principal considerations (positive as well as negative, if there are any) about the transition experience from the original Sansa firmware to Rockbox.

Have a great sunday.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #333 of 402
Since I am still awaiting for delivery of my Sansa Clip Zip (complete newbie), I'd be highly interested if you could report back in some days your principal considerations (positive as well as negative, if there are any) about the transition experience from the original Sansa firmware to Rockbox.

Have a great sunday.
bigsmile_face.gif

For the text size you can change the font as well as size by going into settings-->theme-->fonts (It's swedish on mine but I imagine it to be similar) As for rockbox vs. sansa firmware: I tried the rockbox firmware a couple of days after getting the zip and I never ever looked back. IMO rockbox is so superior to the stock firmware. It's more flexible, you can use tags or folder browsing, you can theme it, there's lots of settings and modules to play with. Another big plus is the improved battery life.

May 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #334 of 402
Simple question: Does a mobile headphone amp add any sound quality to the Clip Zip when dealing with more sensitive IEMs?

I've already got one for bigger headphones, but its output impedance is a bit too high to use with some IEMs. Kinda makes me wonder whether I should get another one or just use the pretty little DAP as it is.

May 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #335 of 402
Mine finally arrived after a month and a half of shipping (that is more than one month blocked in brazilian customs clearing without any reason... be happy if you live in a country where they respect their citizens...).

And, GOSH, never expected it to be so good.  Just some first out-of-the-box experience, but I didn't expect that much.  Drives my Beyer DT-1350 without any problem.  Discovery only just starting but a good moment to thank to everyone who contributes this thread with quality information.  A special thanks to Lord Soth who patiently reassured me via PM that this little player has enough power to drive those cans.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #336 of 402
Quote:
Gentlemen... one more newbie question...
eek.gif
... is the exchange of one 32GB micro SDHC card for another one a quick process, or does the Sansa require much time for initial reading, indexing, etc.?  If so, how long does it take aproximately until ready for use?

Quote:
It depends on how many files there are, and can vary wildly depending on peoples' tags. I've heard anywhere from 10 minutes up to 30 minutes for a full 32GB card....and during the refresh, you can't do anything but wait.

I can't tell you my personal experience because I run the Rockbox firmware on mine..... so the database refresh is only done when I want it to be done, and it can be done in the background while I listen.

Coming back to my own question and Achmed's reply...  after I've finally received my Clip Zip.  

With a full 32GB type 4 card (with 29,7GB useable space) it took something around 6 minutes, better than I expected.   This is with quality optimized MP3 files, being a total of 3766 files in 296 folders. I just wanted to give this return since the concrete information might be useful to somebody.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #337 of 402
Has anyone tried the latest version of Rockbox on their Clip Zip? I'm having troubles connecting it to my MacBook Pro Retina Display (running OS X 10.8.3).

I did a clean install of everything to see if it was my device.
  1. I used the Disk Utility app and did an overkill 35-pass secure erase of the Clip Zip.....really, overkill (formatted it to FAT, which is FAT32)
  2. I downloaded the .bin firmware file from Sansa's official Clip Zip webpage
  3. Placed the .bin file to the root directory of the Clip ZIp
  4. Safely ejected the Clip Zip from my computer and let the firmware install
  5. Reconnected the Clip Zip to my computer
  6. Installed the latest, now stable, version of the Rockbox firmware using the Rockbox Utility from the official website
  7. Installed extra font packs, game installation files, and some themes
  8. Safely ejected the Clip Zip from my computer
  9. Turned the Clip Zip off, and on to start Rockbox
  10. Rockbox works just fine
  11. I tried to connect my Clip Zip back to my computer in Rockbox mode and my computer didn't detect the Clip Zip at all
  12. Disconnecting the Clip Zip, booting back into the Clip Zip firmware, and connecting it back to my computer, my computer recognizes the Clip Zip

Does anyone else experience this issue?

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #338 of 402
Quote:
Has anyone tried the latest version of Rockbox on their Clip Zip? I'm having troubles connecting it to my MacBook Pro Retina Display (running OS X 10.8.3).

I did a clean install of everything to see if it was my device.
  1. I used the Disk Utility app and did an overkill 35-pass secure erase of the Clip Zip.....really, overkill (formatted it to FAT, which is FAT32)
  2. I downloaded the .bin firmware file from Sansa's official Clip Zip webpage
  3. Placed the .bin file to the root directory of the Clip ZIp
  4. Safely ejected the Clip Zip from my computer and let the firmware install
  5. Reconnected the Clip Zip to my computer
  6. Installed the latest, now stable, version of the Rockbox firmware using the Rockbox Utility from the official website
  7. Installed extra font packs, game installation files, and some themes
  8. Safely ejected the Clip Zip from my computer
  9. Turned the Clip Zip off, and on to start Rockbox
  10. Rockbox works just fine
  11. I tried to connect my Clip Zip back to my computer in Rockbox mode and my computer didn't detect the Clip Zip at all
  12. Disconnecting the Clip Zip, booting back into the Clip Zip firmware, and connecting it back to my computer, my computer recognizes the Clip Zip

Does anyone else experience this issue?

I don't use any of the game files, but I do have the font pack and some themes installed on my two Zips, and I also am using the stable release (3.13) and I have no problems at all. However, I am on a Windows 7 PC, not a Mac.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #339 of 402
I got one for myself today. $60 for the 4GB version(I'm from Europe). Going from my Android phone which has awful SQ I wanted something on the go. I gave the ZIP a shot and I didn't miss. Well kinda.. the sound quality is really good, I mean the sound is very clean and tehre is no synthetic signature to it, it plays like a Hi-Fi PC audiocard alright, even my highly praised SONY DNE-900 has that synthetic sound to it, the ZIP does not. The bass/midbass is veeery mellow and beautiful. The overall sound is very good to my ears. 

The downside is I felt the built in amp is very weak, I have some panasonic 16ohm IME and some better IME like HiFiMan Re400(32ohm) on the go, at max volume the sound is underwhelming, there is no oomph to it, no juice. My Android Phone has twice as much the power, on %60 the volume it has the punch, but the sound is bad, it just is, makes me puke when I listen to it. On my PC I use an E-MU 1616m audiocard with an external amp and that sound is GOOD, after that I can go ZIP, but I can't go my Android Phone and that should say a lot about the ZIP SQ.    

I suppose I am going to need to get an amp for the ZIP. Can you recommend me a portable amp that is good, like FiiO, or something, but not expensive please. Much appreciated, thanks. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #340 of 402
Guest5, did you already try to change the region setting to something else than Europe?  As far as I believe to have read somewhere, when you set to Europe there is an artificial volume restriction imposed by a EU health resolution.  Change this setting to "rest of the world" which will allow to switch volume to "high" in Settings=>System Settings=>Volume.  I am using my Clip Zip with a VSONIC GR07 MK2 (50Ohms) and also used it with a Beyer DT-1350 (80 Ohms) and volume is certainly more than sufficient.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #341 of 402
Sure. I just got a Fiio E11 and hooked it up to my Clip+ and Sennheiser 238 phones. The most noticeable change is lower volume listening is much improved-similar to the loudness control on a stereo receiver. It does not lose any of the clarity and impact present at higher volume.  Overall,  I think this is a good combination at a reasonable cost.  Now to figure out how to strap both the Clip and amp together.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #342 of 402
Quote:
Guest5, did you already try to change the region setting to something else than Europe?  As far as I believe to have read somewhere, when you set to Europe there is an artificial volume restriction imposed by a EU health resolution.  Change this setting to "rest of the world" which will allow to switch volume to "high" in Settings=>System Settings=>Volume.  I am using my Clip Zip with a VSONIC GR07 MK2 (50Ohms) and also used it with a Beyer DT-1350 (80 Ohms) and volume is certainly more than sufficient.

That was IT. I have no idea why they'd do it for Europe like that. It is too low volume, for a second I thought my unit is broken. Thank you. :) 

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #343 of 402
Just received my Clip Zip from Amazon today, along with a 32 GB sd card, and synced my entire MediaMonkey library to it (still in the process of re-ripping my CDs to FLAC). Amazing! This is the first audio source I found to be capable of driving my Klipsch X10 with no audible hiss whatsoever.

And the SQ! Compared to my iPod Touch 3rd gen (8 GB, with 192 kbps AAC files), the Clip Zip much clearer with a slightly wider sound stage and deeper bass. Overall, I feel like I'm finally hearing the full potential of my Klipsch. Maybe I'll rockbox it in the future, but the stock OS satisfies me for now.    

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #345 of 402
I just got a Zip. Love the sound quality, have not installed Rhapsody. What is the deal with Rhapsody and the Zip? The manual says "You can download anything in the catalog to your new MP3 player, as long as you remain a member." Does this mean with paid membership you can download unlimited songs for NO additional charge and put them on the Zip, or do you have to buy the songs individually in addition to the monthly fee? (If that is the case I don't see why it is a big deal since you can do that with any player, right?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back