New Sansa Clip Zip is out!
Nov 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #376 of 402
Can someone please explain how to copy  a song that is currently playing into a different playlist in Rockbox (like the Go List in the original firmware)? The manual says to hold the center button and go to Playlist Catalog and click "Add to new playlist". This brings up the keyboard and underneath it says "playlists/.m3u8". When I hold the center button it disappears but I don't see the playlist. It would be great to have a favorites type menu where I stick songs I like as I hear them. Note: I mostly use Files to play albums from the SD card.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #378 of 402
Hi guys! I have just bought my first Clip Zip and although I am very happy with the sound quality and other features, I am experiencing some problems with Rockbox.
I have already reseted the device more than 5 times in a 2 day working period. My main problems reside in the usb connection, where the device fully freezes and doesn't even show the drives on my computer. And my second problem is about my microsd card. I have a 16GB Samsung card and sometimes when accessing the database the device freezes completely. I know this has to do with the card because when I remove it the device works again completely fine.
I am really starting to get uncomfortable with these problems and I am thinking of using the OF only but at the same time I really would like to enjoy Rockbox's featureless. Has anyone experienced these problems with the Sansa Clip Zip? Does this have anything to do with the theme I am using?
Thank you.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #379 of 402
I have the same exact issue with the USB part freezing and not being recognised; I'm using OS X Mountain Lion. Older versions of Rockbox did not have this issue, so I might try that.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one having this problem.

Has anyone tried the latest version of Rockbox on their Clip Zip? I'm having troubles connecting it to my MacBook Pro Retina Display (running OS X 10.8.3).

I did a clean install of everything to see if it was my device.
  • I used the Disk Utility app and did an overkill 35-pass secure erase of the Clip Zip.....really, overkill (formatted it to FAT, which is FAT32)
  • I downloaded the .bin firmware file from Sansa's official Clip Zip webpage
  • Placed the .bin file to the root directory of the Clip ZIp
  • Safely ejected the Clip Zip from my computer and let the firmware install
  • Reconnected the Clip Zip to my computer
  • Installed the latest, now stable, version of the Rockbox firmware using the Rockbox Utility from the official website
  • Installed extra font packs, game installation files, and some themes
  • Safely ejected the Clip Zip from my computer
  • Turned the Clip Zip off, and on to start Rockbox
  • Rockbox works just fine
  • I tried to connect my Clip Zip back to my computer in Rockbox mode and my computer didn't detect the Clip Zip at all
  • Disconnecting the Clip Zip, booting back into the Clip Zip firmware, and connecting it back to my computer, my computer recognizes the Clip Zip

Does anyone else experience this issue?

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #380 of 402
I've had more than 10 clip+/clip zip and those things can happen. usually in the end it's about how badly we rockboxed the sansa, but it does happen.
with days of trying to get a solution, I ended up just getting around the problem:
 I always charge my sansas from an USB adapter into an electric outlet.
 I always put music on my micro SDs using a card reader.

it solved 99 problems and the B wasn't one.

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #381 of 402
Well, now after being reseted so many times the Rockbox firmware doesn't even boot. Fortunately I can still boot the OF and it is working like a charm. I can uninstall the rockbox firmware and then install it again via Rockbox Utlity right? 
I will give one more opportunity to Rockbox but if the problems persist I will use the OF exclusively.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #382 of 402
^_^
my laptop can crash most of my sansas
my sony a865 crashes my laptop when plugged into usb3
my cowon I10 simply kills my usb plugs after 20 to 30mn plugged into one, and can crash itself in a variety of ways unknown to man when plugged into usb.
and to make things perfect, I can't even reproduce those problems all the times. each can work like a charm for weeks before going at it again.

my samsung p3 is the only good boy of the team. I can plug it however whenever and do it 10times in 5seconds, all is good.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #383 of 402
  I've had more than 10 clip+/clip zip and those things can happen. usually in the end it's about how badly we rockboxed the sansa, but it does happen.
with days of trying to get a solution, I ended up just getting around the problem:

These are actually very good alternatives for my problem. Actually I was already using a card reader for the micro SD but charging the device via electric outlet seems to be my only option to charge the Sansa. Care to explain more? Can I use any type of usb charger? I have one here from my previous smartphone, can I charge it without the risk of damaging the mp3's battery? Thanks.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #384 of 402

These are actually very good alternatives for my problem. Actually I was already using a card reader for the micro SD but charging the device via electric outlet seems to be my only option to charge the Sansa. Care to explain more? Can I use any type of usb charger? I have one here from my previous smartphone, can I charge it without the risk of damaging the mp3's battery? Thanks.

usb charger give 5volt. the intensity value given is the maximum it can provide, that has nothing to do with what it will give to the sansa. if you plug it in a 2A charger all it means is that the charger can provide up to 2A. if the clip wants 800MA to charge, then the charger will provide 800MA. (dunno the real value).
usually the problem can be if the charger can't provide enough intensity, but again this can happen on super new gen battery for a tablet or stuff requiring lot of juice. for a sansa, worst case scenario, a charger with very low intensity will charge it slower. ^_^
so use your phone charger without fear mate.

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #386 of 402
For my Canadian mates,Factory Direct is selling the Sansa Clip Zip refurbished on sale for $20! Just picked one up and I'm loving it hooked up with my V Moda M100s!

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #387 of 402
Just wanted to say that the new 128GB microSDXC from Sandisk works great with my RB'd Clip Zip  
duggehsmile.png

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #388 of 402
  Just wanted to say that the new 128GB microSDXC from Sandisk works great with my RB'd Clip Zip  
duggehsmile.png

Did you have to format it to FAT32 or were you able to just plug it in and play?

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #390 of 402

ExFAT didn't work so yeah FAT32 only..

Had to ask. My 64GB card is plug and play in my Android devices, but I didn't want to bother with reformatting for use in the Sansa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back