New Sansa Clip Zip is out!
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #316 of 402
Quote:
What 64gb card did you end up using?

I apologize for not replying before.  I'm not quite sure how to link up my e-mail to tell me when I got a response.

I ended up using a SanDisk brand 64GB microSD that had an adapter with it.  All I did was hooked it up in the adapter to my computer, and I had this Fat32guiformat program and just did the thing in FAT32 and it works perfectly on my Rockboxed Clip Zip.

And excuse me, the total was actually $140 because the player itself is $39.99 and the SD card was $99.99.

I think it's a much better deal than the iPod because I can just carry two of these SD cards and have 8GB more storage than my dad's 120GB iPod Classic. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #317 of 402
There´s been a few comments on this thread about the Clip Zip vs Fuze+ SQ. I haven´t seen RMAA results posted here yet so I´ll do it: http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/clipzip/data.htm (measurements taken by someone from the German hifi-forum.de)
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/fuzeplus/data.htm

Fuze+ seems a little better except in output impedance. Output impedance is very important though so I´d still go for the Clip Zip instead. There´s also tons of negative comments on the internet about the Fuze+ new user interface.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #318 of 402
Quote:
There´s been a few comments on this thread about the Clip Zip vs Fuze+ SQ. I haven´t seen RMAA results posted here yet so I´ll do it: http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/clipzip/data.htm (measurements taken by someone from the German hifi-forum.de)
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/fuzeplus/data.htm

Fuze+ seems a little better except in output impedance. Output impedance is very important though so I´d still go for the Clip Zip instead. There´s also tons of negative comments on the internet about the Fuze+ new user interface.

Thanks for doing that. Most of the Clip measurements out there are for the Clip+, so it was kind of you to do the Clip Zip finally.
One question though, how do you read and interpret the crosstalk measurements?

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #319 of 402
Dear all,

First of all apologies for a question that risks to be very newbie...  I should be receiving my imported Clip Zip within the next two or three weeks (my very first DAP... so I'm quite a "virgin"...my last portable device was a Cassette Walkman back in the 80's...
tongue.gif
), but I would already like to prepare the music library in the meantime. 

All my music library on my home computer today is in FLAC and each album has its own directory.   In order to simplify things for the Sansa and reduce space requirements, I intend to convert to MP3 (variable bitrate with high quality). 

My question/doubt is the following... in order to have direct access to certain albums, will I have to maintain the directory structure on the Sansa and memory card, or is the Sansa capable of reading, sorting and selecting albums, artists, etc. based on the MP3 archive tags?  If so, I would probably transfer all files to a unique directory on the Clip, respectivly on the micro SD card.

Would very much appreciate if somebody could give me a light on this. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #320 of 402
Quote:
Dear all,

First of all apologies for a question that risks to be very newbie...  I should be receiving my imported Clip Zip (my very first DAP... so I'm quite a "virgin"...
tongue.gif
... my last portable device was a Cassette Walkman back in the 80's) within the next two or three weeks, but would already like to prepare the music library in the meantime. 

All my music library on my home computer today is in FLAC and each album has its own directory.   In order to simplify things for the Sansa and reduce space requirements, I intend to convert to MP3 (variable bitrate with high quality). 

My question/doubt is the following... in order to have direct access to certain albums, will I have to maintain the directory structure on the Sansa directory structure or is the Sansa capable of reading, sorting and selecting albums, artists, etc. based on the MP3 archive tags?  If so, I would probably transfer all files to a unique directory on the Clip, respectivly on the micro SD card.

Would very much appreciate if somebody could give me a return on this. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Best bet is to maintain your same directories, just in case your tags are not to its liking.
The Sansas can be finicky with their tags....using the program MP3Tag, use these options....

and be minimalistic with the tags too, like so.....

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #321 of 402
Understood....

I have recently installed MP3Tag, I hope it will also work fine to mass update not only the tags themselves, but also the settings according to your first picture.

With regard to the conversion, I intend to use dbPoweramp Batch Converter... I believe that it allows to re-create folders to the destination drive, or better, create the destination drive folders based on the file tags... this should save me from having to convert folder by folder.

Thank you very much for your kind advice.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #322 of 402
Gentlemen... one more newbie question...
eek.gif
... is the exchange of one 32GB micro SDHC card for another one a quick process, or does the Sansa require much time for initial reading, indexing, etc.?  If so, how long does it take aproximately until ready for use?

I am asking this (obviously) due to the price diference of two or more 32GB cards in comparison to the still very highly priced 64GB cards.

Thanks.
smile.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #323 of 402
Quote:
Gentlemen... one more newbie question...
eek.gif
... is the exchange of one 32GB micro SDHC card for another one a quick process, or does the Sansa require much time for initial reading, indexing, etc.?  If so, how long does it take aproximately until ready for use?

I am asking this (obviously) due to the price diference of two or more 32GB cards in comparison to the still very highly priced 64GB cards.

Thanks.
smile.gif

I am about to order my memory cards... if anybody could give a hint I'd be very grateful.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #324 of 402
Quote:
I am about to order my memory cards... if anybody could give a hint I'd be very grateful.
normal_smile%20.gif

It depends on how many files there are, and can vary wildly depending on peoples' tags. I've heard anywhere from 10 minutes up to 30 minutes for a full 32GB card....and during the refresh, you can't do anything but wait.

I can't tell you my personal experience because I run the Rockbox firmware on mine..... so the database refresh is only done when I want it to be done, and it can be done in the background while I listen.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #326 of 402
Quote:
Hummmm.... 10 to 30 minutes.  That's a considerable amount of time. I will think what will be the best solution for me.  Thanks for the valuable information.
bigsmile_face.gif

I just thought of something else....the 64GB card may not be of use to you unless you choose to go the Rockbox route. There are file limitations in the Sansa firmware....supposedly 8000 files, but some people have reported that in practice it is actually less than that. I didn't think of it earlier because it has been so long since I used the Sansa firmware. So you'd probably be better off with 32GB cards.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #327 of 402
You're right.  I am aware of that limitation (read the entire thread before posting) but I really confess that at least in a first moment I intend to use the original firmware, before feeling secure enough to rockbox it.  So I believe that your advice to go for the 32GB cards is correct.

From what I have read and understood, the Rockbox firmware also increases efficiency and thus has a lower battery consumption (principally with FLAC files), this certainly is an important point towards Rockbox, even though I do not intend to use FLAC on the Sansa. As I mentioned earlier, I intend to convert to MP3 with variable bitrate and high quality sound setting.  I have done some test conversions and this gave me bit rates that vary between 230 and 280kbps,  so I imagine that Rockbox will probably show an effect on battery life time.

Many things to discover yet,

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #328 of 402
Quote:
You're right.  I am aware of that limitation (read the entire thread before posting) but I really confess that at least in a first moment I intend to use the original firmware, before feeling secure enough to rockbox it.  So I believe that your advice to go for the 32GB cards is correct.

From what I have read and understood, the Rockbox firmware also increases efficiency and thus has a lower battery consumption (principally with FLAC files), this certainly is an important point towards Rockbox, even though I do not intend to use FLAC on the Sansa. As I mentioned earlier, I intend to convert to MP3 with variable bitrate and high quality sound setting.  I have done some test conversions and this gave me bit rates that vary between 230 and 280kbps,  so I imagine that Rockbox will probably show an effect on battery life time.

Many things to discover yet,

This is what I load on my players too, and yes, Rockbox helps with efficiency even with them. With those type of files, you'd be lucky to break 12 hours of playback time in the Sansa firmware, but with Rockbox you should get at least 15 hours, unless your screen is on all the time, etc.

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #329 of 402
Quote:
...unless your screen is on all the time, etc.

Certainly not... I'm not particularly interested in "enjoying" album art (at least not on a 96x96 pix basis)... for me the screen is of importance only for navigation.  BTW... I imagine there must be some setting that allows auto turn-off of the screen after some seconds of no navigation activity, right?  Think I will download and study the user manual to read more about and use the time until I'll have the product finally in my hands...

Thanks to your goodwill I am learning a lot, but the 80's Walkman was so much easier to handle... (just kidding...).
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #330 of 402
Quote:
Certainly not... I'm not particularly interested in "enjoying" album art (at least not on a 96x96 pix basis)... for me the screen is of importance only for navigation.  BTW... I imagine there must be some setting that allows auto turn-off of the screen after some seconds of no navigation activity, right?  Think I will download and study the user manual to read more about and use the time until I'll have the product finally in my hands...

Thanks to your goodwill I am learning a lot, but the 80's Walkman was so much easier to handle... (just kidding...).
biggrin.gif

Yes, I had a few of them in the old days.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back