New Questyle CMA400i
Nov 25, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #138 of 1,014
Besides more power, how does the balanced output compare with the single-ended one? Thanks.
Didn’t test enough but balanced is amazing, seemed a bit more dynamic. Answering @nigel801, no comparison here but I'm 100% sure it has enough stamina for those two. For Clear I lowered the gain switches to Low position and still can't pass 1/3 third the volume without blowing my ears.

Nov 26, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #142 of 1,014
Thanks for your feedback, I really like the convenient of 2.5 balanced because I got Shure SE846 as well, Do you mind if 400i is on warm side or does it have spark in treble. thsnks

400i has a little bit of warmth, great bass slam and mids pushed a bit forward. Its not analytical sound but it's treble aren't shy or dark for sure. Many headphones work well with it. Only very bassy or harsh headphones won't be a good match I think. 600i is a bit more polite and refined sound with a bit larger soundstage while 400i has more fun with better punch, but differences arent that big.

Nov 26, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #143 of 1,014
400i has a little bit of warmth, great bass slam and mids pushed a bit forward. Its not analytical sound but it's treble aren't shy or dark for sure. Many headphones work well with it. Only very bassy or harsh headphones won't be a good match I think. 600i is a bit more polite and refined sound with a bit larger soundstage while 400i has more fun with better punch, but differences arent that big.
Thanks again for your valuable input.

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #145 of 1,014
It has balanced amp, not DAC.

Full-balanced Amplification
CMA400i can drive headphones in full-balanced mode as it features four groups of pure Class A Current Mode amplification circuits, and supports a 4-PIN balanced XLR output, a 2.5mm balanced headphone jack and a 6.35mm standard headphone jack. In addition, the new design of Gain Control switch at the bottom of the chassis benefits CMA400i with perfect driving power for different headphones.

Nov 26, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #146 of 1,014
are there any comparison with bigger brother CMA600i, is this sufficient to drive Elear and AEON

Works a treat with Aeons and Elear, no issues driving either.

I find the CMA400i to be quite neutral and a little more towards analytical sound than warmth. Excellent reference DAC/Amp that pairs well with a lot of headphones. Works very well with the LCD-2

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #147 of 1,014
Hi guys, I was wondering how the win7 drivers hold up. Do wasapi and/or ASIO modes work properly? I currently have a TEAC DAC I did a lot of driver fiddling with to get to run properly in ASIO.
*EDIT* I just RTFM and it has clear examples on how to set it up with either foobar or Jriver. Great!

Quick listening impressions (~2hrs) at a store:
- tried focal Elears, they're fine but liked LCD2s better
- perfect for Audeze planars, mids and highs are nice and revealing. That super extended bass is well tamed, but plentiful.
By comparison, my current setup makes mids/highs feel slightly grainy and congested at times (TEAC UD-H01 + ifi iCan SE, low gain 11 o'clock). By slightly it's very slightly to me. Overall, presents the music quite a bit more refined than my current setup. Has plenty of headroom, with the LCD2s I was usually at 9 o'clock at "normal gain" setting.
- absolute perfection was with Mr Speakers Ether Flow, this my summit setup for now.

*EDIT* gonna pick one up tomorrow and trade in the ifi + current main cans hifiman 400i

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #149 of 1,014
Reporting in after biting the bullet.

So, using it with the LCD2 bamboo there's a couple things I noticed. I never thought I'd say this, but the questyle does seem to need burn-in. I find this rather strange as they claim to do all sorts of signal testing on each unit. My guess is they don't use the post-burn-in characteristics?
Out-of-the-box the sound is quite analytical and as not nice and round like I heard it in the store. I was a little bummed out by that and panicked slightly, but the man assured me it just needs a little time. Sure enough after a couple days of intense use the in-your-face highs quelled down a bit and the low-end is starting to return. I'm exaggerating a little, but whatever. Maybe it's just in my head? It still doesn't sound the way I remember it, but there's too many variables so I'll probably go back with my unit and laptop and hear what is different in the store setup.

Upon analysis of the sound on my relatively crap speakers (JBL TLX8 through marantz PM5004), the DAC's capability even shines through there. The imaging is tight and awesome and I thought that characteristic was mostly in the headamp section at first, but I was wrong. Also, my speakers have never sounded this snappy and dynamic. I didn't even know they were capable of it! Did not expect that at all when I bought this unit.
To me it's a solid upgrade from my TEAC UD-H01. That DAC also has a balanced design with a proper transformer, but a poor headamp which I got an external for. Granted, the questyle costs 3x the TEAC but you can hear it.

Question: drop some more cash for a balanced cable for the LCD2s?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #150 of 1,014
Reporting in after biting the bullet.

So, using it with the LCD2 bamboo there's a couple things I noticed. I never thought I'd say this, but the questyle does seem to need burn-in. I find this rather strange as they claim to do all sorts of signal testing on each unit. My guess is they don't use the post-burn-in characteristics?
Out-of-the-box the sound is quite analytical and as not nice and round like I heard it in the store. I was a little bummed out by that and panicked slightly, but the man assured me it just needs a little time. Sure enough after a couple days of intense use the in-your-face highs quelled down a bit and the low-end is starting to return. I'm exaggerating a little, but whatever. Maybe it's just in my head?

Upon analysis of the sound on my relatively **** speakers (JBL TLX8 through marantz PM5004), the DAC's capability even shines through there. The imaging is tight and awesome and I thought that characteristic was mostly in the headamp section at first, but I was wrong. Also, my speakers have never sounded this snappy and dynamic. I didn't even know they were capable of it! Did not expect that at all when I bought this unit.
To me it's a solid upgrade from my TEAC UD-H01. That DAC also has a balanced design with a proper transformer, but a poor headamp which I got an external for. Granted, the questyle costs 3x the TEAC but you can hear it.

Question: drop some more cash for a balanced cable for the LCD2s?

Yes go balanced :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back