New Questyle CMA400i
Oct 30, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #124 of 1,013
Mp3store in Poland has the clear top and dock in stock as well, for those in Europe that are interested. As I'm having problems with my A20H, I'm ordering the 400i soon.

Clear tops and rubber bases are also available for customers in the UK from SCV Distribution.

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #125 of 1,013
Anybody have a chance to use the CMA400i with planar magnetics? I'm wondering how well the amp pairs with something a bit more power-hungry.

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #126 of 1,013
Anybody have a chance to use the CMA400i with planar magnetics? I'm wondering how well the amp pairs with something a bit more power-hungry.

Works fine with LCD-2's but can't quite drive HE-6's.

Nov 6, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #127 of 1,013
Works fine with LCD-2's but can't quite drive HE-6's.
Have you tried the HE-6 tried via the balanced out, making use of all four amps? Still lacking in oomph..?

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #128 of 1,013
Have you tried the HE-6 tried via the balanced out, making use of all four amps? Still lacking in oomph..?

I did indeed, could just be synergy but also the volume was nearly maxed out :D

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #130 of 1,013
I see most Questyle pictures showing their line of DAC with Focal headphones, namely Elears, is there some particular symbiosys between brands?
Anyone to share personal experience? I guess some people here might own the CMA600i and could give some feedback.

I am in the fence for a CMA400i, but as it doesn't have analogue inputs for me to use the FiiO X7 DAC (ESS Sabre 9028PRO), I'm also considering the option of a pure high quality headphone amp (No DAC) for the same price. Precising, which one of the following setups would in theory give me the best SQ?

1. FiiO X7mk2 -> Coaxial -> CMA400i AKM DAC -> Focal Clear
2. FiiO X7mk2 Sabre DAC -> Analogue Line out -> Violectric V280 -> Focal Clear

Questyle would have the advantage of the full balanced path, right? (since analogue line out of FiiO is unbalanced). The V280 seems like a canon to kill the easy to drive Focals, so unless I have doubts on CMA400i amplification quality compared to Violetric OR have some major plans to upgrade DAC in a future,, the option for Questyle seems the more logical. Any thoughts?

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #131 of 1,013
I see most Questyle pictures showing their line of DAC with Focal headphones, namely Elears, is there some particular symbiosys between brands?
Anyone to share personal experience? I guess some people here might own the CMA600i and could give some feedback.

I am in the fence for a CMA400i, but as it doesn't have analogue inputs for me to use the FiiO X7 DAC (ESS Sabre 9028PRO), I'm also considering the option of a pure high quality headphone amp (No DAC) for the same price. Precising, which one of the following setups would in theory give me the best SQ?

Questyle would have the advantage of the full balanced path, right? (since analogue line out of FiiO is unbalanced). The V280 seems like a canon to kill the easy to drive Focals, so unless I have doubts on CMA400i amplification quality compared to Violetric OR have some major plans to upgrade DAC in a future,, the option for Questyle seems the more logical. Any thoughts?

I look at the CMA400i as a great combo amp/dac with balanced and pre-amp capabilities, very versatile. It has a 2.5 balanced port for IEMs which I don't use, and on low gain runs my th-610's beautifully on 6.5mm and I'm looking forwards to getting the balanced hooked up with some new open headphones soon.

With the X7 could you possibly use optical out to the CMA400i and just have it as a source perhaps? Or as you've mentioned get an amp and use the X7 as source/dac which could either save you cash, or get a more expensive amp if you even need it?

What headphones are you running atm, was it the Focal Clear?

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #132 of 1,013

Questyles UK distributor also distributes Focal hence the photos. And the amp will drive the Clear no problem.

Nov 14, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #133 of 1,013
Questyles UK distributor also distributes Focal hence the photos. And the amp will drive the Clear no problem.
Photos of Questyle/Focal haven't come from SCV specifically, apart from perhaps pics taken at shows. Focal have used Questyle amps to demo their headphones all over, not just in the UK, so it could also be that.

However, what I like most is.. CMA400i/Elear (black), CMA600i/Clear (grey). All I need is a pair of the Tournaire Utopia to go with the golden stack and my world of OCD colour co-ordination is complete... :grin::grin:

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #134 of 1,013
Hi guys and thanks for feedback, I ordered the CMA400i today - And looks great too btw, either in design and buid!

In fact, the CMA400i seems like beeing made for me, really, a all in one package to connect all my gear, just check... I have both the IEM balanced 2.5mm jack and the Focal Clear 4pin XLR; will feed it 3 ways, PC USB, S/PDIF out of my CD player and Coax/Optical from X/ DAP; SE RCA's out for my Prima Luna Pré/Amp combo.

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #135 of 1,013
Great match with Focal Clear!

10033453.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back