New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Feb 26, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #211 of 557
Hmm, aside from the Arrow are there any other amps which offer such options?

A used Xin Super Macro would have a lot of similar features (not auto shutoff timer), but if it dies it will be gone forever since Xin has vanished. And, it didn't really sound better than several of my older iBasso amps and I sold mine a long time ago. I had upgraded opamps in my SMIII (AD797) but that wasn't enough to make it worth keeping. Plus it had no DAC.

A used Headstage Lyrix has many of these features, and again no shutoff timer, but it's performance was closer to the level of the Meier Headsix and the DAC was not anything speacial.

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #212 of 557
Hm, hm, hm...

Listening to my XM6 right now (my setup is detailed in my sig. The only detail I left out is the audio player I use: foobar2000). Upgraded to it from an XM5 after only something like 3 months. (Selling that to a friend once he has the money.) Also got a Fireye from a friend.

Maybe I should do a review/comparison over the week, since I'm on spring break? (Definitely not doing one now, since it's 2AM.)

Not that I have any sort of audio experience, mind you. Or knowledge of audio lingo. I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between the three unless the differences are very stark and obvious...

-- Griffinhart

PS. On the topic of the DAC - foobar2000 apparently thinks that the XM6 can only take 16/44.1. Trying to make it output 24-bit data results in failure. (Specifically, "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels") Sadness. :<

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #213 of 557
Hm, hm, hm...

Listening to my XM6 right now (my setup is detailed in my sig. The only detail I left out is the audio player I use: foobar2000). Upgraded to it from an XM5 after only something like 3 months. (Selling that to a friend once he has the money.) Also got a Fireye from a friend.

Maybe I should do a review/comparison over the week, since I'm on spring break? (Definitely not doing one now, since it's 2AM.)

Not that I have any sort of audio experience, mind you. Or knowledge of audio lingo. I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between the three unless the differences are very stark and obvious...

-- Griffinhart

PS. On the topic of the DAC - foobar2000 apparently thinks that the XM6 can only take 16/44.1. Trying to make it output 24-bit data results in failure. (Specifically, "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels") Sadness. :<

Audio experience is not required! Just tell us what you think... :D

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #214 of 557
[size=small]Well, I have had the XM6 for about one week now.  Initial impressions are positive.  The following are my thoughts as a newbie in this area having purchased and use only two other mobile amps/DACs:  a Vivid Technologies V1 and a NuForce ICON Mobile. [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]The XM6 came very well-packaged for shipping and arrived in A-1 condition.  Great care was taken in this regard.  I have never seen/touched a Practical Devices unit, so I was a bit taken aback by the quality of the materials and the workmanship.  Compared to the V1 and the Icon Mobile, the XM6 is in a total different class in build (and price).  The six inch ULTRALINK DISCOVERY mini to mini cable (included as a promo bonus for XM6 purchasers during this launch period) is a well-made cable.  More on the cable later.  [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]My XM6 had the Texas Instruments BUF634 op-amp upgrade (dual mono) which James is also offering as a promo free during this launch period and the upgrade to the Wolfson 8741 DAC (no promo, but the most recent DAC from Wolfson).  [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]I have used the XM6 as a headphone amp and a headphone amp/DAC combo.  I have about 40 hours on the unit so far.  [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]I have taken several walks with a cigar and used the XM6 to amp my Windows 7 Phone (uses Zune player and looks a lot like a Zune HD) and my ER4P IEMs.  The sound was nothing short of stunning compared to the V1 and the ICON Mobile.  The XM6 addressed the leanness of the bass of the ER4P in some of the bass heavy passages and enhanced the already excellent mids and upper end.  Detail was awesome and soundstaging very solid for IEMs.  The human voice and the decay of acoustic instruments were two areas that struck me in particular - never noticed it much with the ER4P and the other two amps.  Volume was never an issue – you can ruin your hearing with the XM6![/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]As a headphone amp/DAC combo, the XM6 shines even more.  Comparisons to the V1 and the ICON Mobile are not fair – ‘nuff said.  Let’s compare the XM6 to my desk top set-up:  NuForce HDP.  If you are not familiar with the HDP, it is a headphone amp, DAC and preamp all in one.  In a very small foot print, it offers the flexibility and quality I need in my office whether I want to listen via speakers (self powered Creative) or headphones (HD650s re-cabled with Silver Dragon V2).  [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]I felt the XM6 DAC provided a more organic sound, closer to my big rig in the listening room, closer to the real event.  Bass was deep and extended, mids liquid and highs light and airy, but never bright or harsh.  I am a big tubes and vinyl freak, finding SS and digital to be fatiguing over time.  To my surprise, I found the XM6 to have less SS/digital fatigue than the HDP.  The amp section drove both the HD650s and the ER4P flawlessly, but I might give the HDP a slight edge here.  We are splitting hairs, though.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]I am also very impressed with the rich features built into the XM6 – multi-hour timer, various freq boosts, able to roll op-amps (though I don't plan to), 75ohm adjustment, crossfeed adjuster, etc., etc., etc.  This is clearly a labor of love on the part of very talented, passionate engineers.  [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]On another note, the promo bonus cable did not work for me.  While it made a noticeable difference in sonics and was of excellent quality and construction, the six inch cable is slightly larger in circumference than a No. 2 pencil and very stiff.  If I rest the Windows Phone 7 on top of the XM6 (which I would do when carrying the units for a walk or on a trip), the bend in the cable places A LOT of stress on the cable and is not a long-term solution.  I have ordered a mini to min cable from Scott of DofH Audio.  [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]You have to place my comments in the perspective of some one who is relatively new to the headphone/portable world and has not heard the vast number of units that other have here on Head-Fi.  I stand on their shoulders.  However, I have been a life long audionut and have taken great care in the set-up of my big rig, so I think I know what an enjoyable listening session can be and what I like.  And I like the XM6.  [/size]

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #216 of 557
My first post: Just want to say thank you for all your impressions and reviews, particularly HK Sends' very detailed write up.

Based on these information I have decided to order myself a XM6 as I have a small but rather diverse range of headphones and would like to be able to make adjustments based on each sound signature, (MS-1, DT770 pro, ESW9 + a few IEMs).

Have placed the order a couple of weeks ago now and am hoping to recieve it hopefully in the next few days.

Will post my experience once I have a chance to test it out... after lurking around head-fi for a long time, think its time to give back and share my views :wink:

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #217 of 557
Awesome. We eagerly await your impressions. I am particularly intrigued since I too have the iBasso D10. Which opamps do you have in your D10?

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #218 of 557
I'm currently using AD8656 + bypassed buffers. Must say I have not done a lot of opamp rolling and have only got the opamps that were included with the D10. Have you tried others?

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #219 of 557
I've gone through a whole ton of opamps... here's my post of opamp rolling: (page 266, post #3984 if the link doesn't go directly)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/399315/ibasso-d10-updates-1st-page-with-current-opamp-choices-by-hiflight-images-page-1-12-13-14-15-21-71/3975#post_6741581

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #220 of 557
Thank you armaegis, very informative and I am now trying out ad8565 with lmh6643 after reading your impressions.

Btw, still haven't received my XM6 yet, even though it was shipped on 12 march :frowning2: I'm currently living in Hong Kong and usually shipping from US takes around 2 weeks. Wonder why it's taking so long coming from Canada?

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #221 of 557

Quote:
Thank you armaegis, very informative and I am now trying out ad8565 with lmh6643 after reading your impressions.

Btw, still haven't received my XM6 yet, even though it was shipped on 12 march
frown.gif
I'm currently living in Hong Kong and usually shipping from US takes around 2 weeks. Wonder why it's taking so long coming from Canada?

Did you mean Feb 12? Because Mar 12 is today...
confused.gif

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #222 of 557
Yes sorry I meant 12 Feb... Hopefully will get it next week I heard from the post office that there is a long delay due to security checks.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #224 of 557
Bumping this thread, I've had an XM5 for along time and it is a great portable amp, can't wait to here more about the xm6

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #225 of 557
Aside from HK_sends' review, impressions are very few and far between. As far as I can tell, Practical Devices has done almost zero promotion for their new amp, and they were already behind the curve with the likes of RSA and iBasso leading the pack in terms of popularity and publicity. You'd think they would have sent something to Skylab or Headphoneaddict, or to Headfonia since they just did a huge portable amp comparison... but nope, nothing.

Jude's new videocast mentioned later in the thread that they have an XM6 unboxing coming soon, so hopefully they'll have some impressions there.

edit: and then there was that weird business with their official XM6 announcement on headfi. They were offering some special extras for headfi members, and then the entire thread disappeared...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back