New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Mar 31, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #242 of 557
That's two Li-ion cells in that battery pack then.

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #244 of 557
still, i do not know about what is greatest headphones that x6 can drive.... i mean the highest that can be driven, and sound at full potential with it....

and can anyone name an full amplifier, around 500$ that to sound the greatest, if x6 is not enought for hd800 or hd650 from sennheiser...

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #245 of 557
still, i do not know about what is greatest headphones that x6 can drive.... i mean the highest that can be driven, and sound at full potential with it....

and can anyone name an full amplifier, around 500$ that to sound the greatest, if x6 is not enought for hd800 or hd650 from sennheiser...

I happily drive Denon AH-D7000s with the XM6. I also drive Grados (HF-2) with it and really enjoy. Also, IEMs are supposed to be good with it.
I have also listened with Sennheiser HD 598 and PXC 450 headphones and they rock right along.

As for a $500 to drive the HD800 and HD650, check the threads on the Schiit Lyr amp that was just released (no, the name is not a joke). You'll find several references to driving HD650s and HD800s.

Hope that helps...

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #246 of 557
Hmm, Jude gives his impressions on the XM6 on Head-Fi TV episode 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCt0Cpcp4w

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #251 of 557
ok, schiit lyr amp looks great.... AWESOME... i may buy it.... now, is there any difference between it and valhalla from schiit?... because lyr has only two lamps, and valhalla has 4 lamps.... 

and schiit is enought for lcd-2?.... i mean i just changed my option... hd800 doesn;t sound the same as lcd 2 from what i heard, lcd is better.... and i want the best.... now schiit lyr is enought?.....

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #252 of 557
Seriously man, at this rate you're never going to decide. If you're intent on getting "the best", wander over to the high end forum and read up on all the toys there.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #253 of 557
ok, schiit lyr amp looks great.... AWESOME... i may buy it.... now, is there any difference between it and valhalla from schiit?... because lyr has only two lamps, and valhalla has 4 lamps.... 

and schiit is enought for lcd-2?.... i mean i just changed my option... hd800 doesn;t sound the same as lcd 2 from what i heard, lcd is better.... and i want the best.... now schiit lyr is enought?.....

The Lyr was specifically designed to drive headphones like the LCD-2s and HD-5 as well as any others you may wish to use. It is a hybrid amp taking the best characteristics of solid-state and tube driven amps and putting it in one high-powered package. The Valhalla is a straight tube amp but has some amazing characteristics of it's own for some types of headphones. I don't own a Valhalla (I have the Asgard and Lyr) but I have read that it too, is a great amp. I would suggest checking each of the Amp specific threads (both the Valhalla and Lyr have their own) and see what others have to say about the amps with the cans you are considering.

FWIW, I have the LCD-2s, Schiit Lyr, and Cowon J3 as my go-to config. It looks like it will be that way for a very long time (or until the next great toy comes out). Oh, and to keep the thread on track, I still have my XM6! :D

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

P.S. The problem you are going to have is when you ask 25 people what the "best" is, you will get 25 different answers. You have to experiment and discover what's "best" for you. You might not even like what other people consider "best". :p

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #254 of 557
yes, indeed... i know... i am just asking if you feel very good about it.... other thing... i do am interested in lcd 2 and lyr togheter, but do they make something like 1500$?.... 

i mean there are a lot of things you can buy for this money...

and the other thing, i do not know about any better toy.... i am just asking for something that will rock for the money.... i do not want anything overpriced... that is the S$it..... and i know that i am not very cool asking so much things, but i want an amp that can drive a good set of cans (hd800 or lcd2) and to it not blow iems (ie8 senn) and to still not blow bad headphones (sony xb700, shure srh 840, sennheiser hd 380).... do you get me?.... and at first i was looking over practical devices xm6.... 

just a little history about my plans fiio e7 -> fiio e7+fiioe9 -> headstage arrog 3g -> practical devices xm6 -> schiit lyr -> practical devices xm6.... i just reverted because i heard that this thing can blow some headphones.... and i do not want to blow anything if someone plugs anything when i am not looking, just to take a listen,.... now i hope i get myself clear.... i would look into something like lyr, but i heard that the lamps must be changet in 5000 hours of listening, and this is around 208,(3) days.... this means that i should get new lamps at every 7-8 months, and if do get them from anywhere out of EUROPE, i must pay some taxes, and i must go to a place that is at 50 miles distance to my town... is not that i wouldn't go, but is pretty stresful if this happens when i have tests period, because i cannot live without music....

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #255 of 557
How does the XM6 compare to the ibasso's in terms of sound quality and functionality?
I have pro 900 and I'm looking to equip it with a good portable amp for portability..
what qould you recommend to these particular headphones? Thank you very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back