New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Mar 26, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #226 of 557
Aside from HK_sends' review, impressions are very few and far between. As far as I can tell, Practical Devices has done almost zero promotion for their new amp, and they were already behind the curve with the likes of RSA and iBasso leading the pack in terms of popularity and publicity. You'd think they would have sent something to Skylab or Headphoneaddict, or to Headfonia since they just did a huge portable amp comparison... but nope, nothing.

Jude's new videocast mentioned later in the thread that they have an XM6 unboxing coming soon, so hopefully they'll have some impressions there.

edit: and then there was that weird business with their official XM6 announcement on headfi. They were offering some special extras for headfi members, and then the entire thread disappeared...

I accepted the offer for a review sample in January, but never heard more about it. I love the XM5, and while I rank it on about the level of the 3MOVE I use the XM5 more due to the extra features and improved synergy with LCD-2. The only other battery powered DAC/amp I use much is my D4.

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #228 of 557
Unfortunately I still haven't received my XM6 yet! Emailed James a couple of days ago again, and this time he sent me a photo of the package (addressed to me) before it was posted - dated 12 Feb. 

I don't understand why its taking so long for it to get from Canadian post to Hong Kong. The Threadless T-shirts I have ordered in the beginning of March arrived last week, took just over 2 weeks from the U.S.

Has anyone else living in Asia received an XM6 yet, and how long did it take to get to you?

Actually, I am also waiting to receive the JMoney pads that were shipped on 9 March... maybe all head-fi related packages take a lot long in the post?

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #229 of 557
I've read somewhere that HK shipping/customs has increased in delays significantly in the past several months, and I'm sure the recent earthquake hasn't helped matters. Do you have a tracking number?

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #230 of 557

Quote:
Have you inquired about it since?

I don't like bugging people with reminders.  And since my health hasn't been very good lately, I kinda appreciated the time off.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #231 of 557
Hope you're feeling better soon. Still, from what we've seen of PD it seems he's a bit slow at responding to things. Hopefully some more news pops up soon.

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #232 of 557

Quote:
I've read somewhere that HK shipping/customs has increased in delays significantly in the past several months, and I'm sure the recent earthquake hasn't helped matters. Do you have a tracking number?

No i don't believe there was a tracking number :frowning2:

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #234 of 557
would it be able to drive sennheiser hd 800?...  at high volumes?...

You would be able to play the HD 800 at high volumes, but a portable amp really doesn't have the power to drive the headphones at their full potential. The sound quality would be lacking compared to a full-size amp. I used to think that if a portable played headphones loud, then it was driving them, but for headphones like the HD 800s, you need more power than a portable can deliver.

I can play my LCD-2 phones loud with my XM6, but the sound is nowhere near what a full-size amp can deliver.

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #235 of 557
Do you know what the voltage swing (or at least the max voltage output) of the XM6 is? The specs say 18dB gain and up to 1W power, but I wonder about the actual voltage available is.

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #236 of 557
Do you know what the voltage swing (or at least the max voltage output) of the XM6 is? The specs say 18dB gain and up to 1W power, but I wonder about the actual voltage available is.

I really don't. Actually, I just plug in different headphones, try different settings, and see if I can find a sound I like. Hopefully, someone may have calculated it. Does James list that on the PD website?

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #237 of 557
I looked around but never found it. Do you know what the voltage on the battery/charger is?

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #239 of 557
One of you that has it can just fully charge it, turn it on, hit the power button again, and count the flashes like it says in the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back