New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Jan 31, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #181 of 557
Without checking the timestamps on earlier posts, the concern about Windows not supporting anything above 48kHz is non-issue. As Chris Connaker found out when he stipulated this requirement for his 'perfect' music server:

13. Play 16/44.1, 24/44.1, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, and 24/192 all bit perfect.

Windows 7 satisfies all of the software based requirements. It is capable of great sound, it's a current OS, easy to operate and install, works with more hardware than any other OS, and is capable of bit perfect playback at all required sample rates when configured properly.

Old news to many here, but I thought it worth mentioning within the context of this thread. Exactly where the upsampling happens is a whole other post - I havent had any major problems with any sampling rate on MSII using Foobar under Win7.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #182 of 557
Its a driver and hardware issue, not some underlying problem with windows itself.  Windows, or any other general purpose operating system, can do just about anything if you have a driver for your custom hardware.

This is about what USB interface chip the XM6 uses and what drivers it uses to communicate with windows.  If the interface chip doesn't go above 48kHz then it doesn't matter what Windows could do with other hardware and the appropriate drivers.

My question was if anyone was aware if there were any such chips that operated above 48kHz from the generic USB audio drivers included in windows because manual states that it uses those generic drivers and the XM6 does not come with any of its own.

I know it can be done with other hardware and software.  I'm asking if anyone knows if it can be done with this hardware and software.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #183 of 557
Hello
I REALLY liked your reviews on the XM6. Thank you!
I'm far from an expert on things like this. I've been  a listener since the beginning of the 60-s,so SOUND is very important for me.
Just now I have a Cowon S9 and a Cowon X7 and as headphones when I'm out walking I use either Beats By Dr Dre ,the Studio version ,or Pioneer HDJ 1000. At home I use Pioneer HDJ 2000.
I just LOVE the photo with your S9 and the Amp and your Headphones. Really beautiful!
I get very happy to see someone else appreciating the S9!!!!!!
I have two Amps already since some years;Gary's PA2V2 and also C&C XO from China. I like both but the C&C XO gives more variation  maybe, and a somewhat wider sound.
Still I'm thinking of getting myself one more Amp.

Just now I'm thinking about the XM6 or maybe Headstage Arrow 12HE.

Maybe you can help me here.
What would you choose? And why?
The music I usually listen to is labeled as Noise,Industrial ,Power Electronis and sometimes Ambience.
Maybe you have some other Amps to suggest?
I would really appreciate some words from you.              

Peace
                                                   Lalle

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #184 of 557
     Quote:
Hello
I REALLY liked your reviews on the XM6. Thank you!
I'm far from an expert on things like this. I've been  a listener since the beginning of the 60-s,so SOUND is very important for me.
Just now I have a Cowon S9 and a Cowon X7 and as headphones when I'm out walking I use either Beats By Dr Dre ,the Studio version ,or Pioneer HDJ 1000. At home I use Pioneer HDJ 2000.
I just LOVE the photo with your S9 and the Amp and your Headphones. Really beautiful!
I get very happy to see someone else appreciating the S9!!!!!!
I have two Amps already since some years;Gary's PA2V2 and also C&C XO from China. I like both but the C&C XO gives more variation  maybe, and a somewhat wider sound.
Still I'm thinking of getting myself one more Amp.

Just now I'm thinking about the XM6 or maybe Headstage Arrow 12HE.

Maybe you can help me here.
What would you choose? And why?
The music I usually listen to is labeled as Noise,Industrial ,Power Electronis and sometimes Ambience.
Maybe you have some other Amps to suggest?
I would really appreciate some words from you.              

Peace
                                                   Lalle

Lallas,

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!
I want to thank you for your kind words.  I am by no means an expert either, but just like to listen to good sound.  Cowon makes excellent music/media players and provides options many other players don't.  I have since moved from the S9 to the J3 (so I could increase storage size with a micro SD card).  Also, I really appreciate Cowon players' ability to do gapless FLAC file playback.  That sealed the deal! 
biggrin.gif

I don't know how much I can help you choose since I have never listened to a Headstage Arrow 12HE amp before.  Checking the site, I think it looks really good and may be a viable option to an XM6.  However, let me give you my reasoning for liking the XM6 as I use it now (I may make reference to the Arrow amp but only based on the information given on the amp's webpage):

First, I notice the Arrow does offer switchable bass, impedance, and crossfeed settings as does the XM6.  However, the XM6 crossfeed level is adjustable using the blue knob on the back.  Also, the XM6 offers a treble boost switch as well (it's not as big a boost as the bass, but it is noticeable and can make the high end sound more well rounded...to me).

The XM6 has a DAC function using a good quality Wolfson DAC chip.  I don't know if you would have need of the functionality but it appears the Arrow is an amp only and the mini-usb connector on the back is for battery charging only (if I am wrong, somebody please correct me).

Lastly, the Arrow uses a Analog Devices AD8397 Opamp, which is the same one I am using in the XM6...for now.  The biggest appeal to me about the XM6 is the ability to change the OpAmps and affect the overall sound of the amp.  I am finding that my musical tastes are changing as is the sound I like from my headphones.  Right now, the AD8397 suites my tastes, but if I want to change sounds, I don't need to get a new amp...I just swap out the Opamps and away I go (and I can change back when I want also).  To me, that's the real appeal of the XM6.  I can change the sound to suite me.

Truthfully the Arrow 12HE looks to be an excellent amp and if I had the chance, I would love to give one a listen.  Right now, I am happy with the XM6 as my go-to portable amp (and DAC)...to the point of even considering putting my RSA P-51 Mustang up for sale.

Please remember, I am not trying to tell you not to buy the Arrow.  I am only saying why I like the XM6.  Of course, your mileage may vary.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #185 of 557
After exchanging PMs with Headphone Addict, reading this review/thread and exchanging e-mails with James Forest at PD, I took the leap and ordered an XM6 for my portable rig.  It shipped yesterday. 

While I do not have anywhere near the experience or knowledge of many posting on this forum, I will post my thoughts once I have used the XM6 a bit.  Music has been important to me since high school days, but I am just entering the headphone world, having focused on my "big rig" for many years.  I post and lurk on AudioGon for the "big rig" under the same moniker. 

Also a shout out to bwarfel on this forum who is really helping me with incorporating headphones into my big rig.

Getting there...

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #187 of 557
The older XM5 is a great amp, and my only complaint was that the DAC wasn't up to the level of the AMP.  It sounds like that issue is rectified, and if the DAC is closer to the level of the Pico's up-sampling DAC then it just might be what the doctor ordered.  

When we went to Hawaii in 2008 I took two amps to use - the Meier Headsix for it's small size and 9v battery that could easily be changed out on a plane, and the XM5 because it had a sleep timer that could shut it off if I fell asleep listening to music so the battery didn't run down (and because it had a DAC to use with the Macbook we brought).  My XM5 does accept a 9v alkaline, but it's not as easy to remove the battery as the Headsix.  (I think I might have loaned my Predator to my son for that trip).  The sleep timer is unique to the PD amps, and I think it's great to let it shut off after a while to conserve the battery charge.

I did get stopped in security because I left the iPod and Headsix connected with a fat ALO LOD, and they got scared of bombs when it went through Xray. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #188 of 557
Quote:
After exchanging PMs with Headphone Addict, reading this review/thread and exchanging e-mails with James Forest at PD, I took the leap and ordered an XM6 for my portable rig.  It shipped yesterday. 

While I do not have anywhere near the experience or knowledge of many posting on this forum, I will post my thoughts once I have used the XM6 a bit.  Music has been important to me since high school days, but I am just entering the headphone world, having focused on my "big rig" for many years.  I post and lurk on AudioGon for the "big rig" under the same moniker. 

Also a shout out to bwarfel on this forum who is really helping me with incorporating headphones into my big rig.

Getting there...

Please don't assume that just because I am long-winded, that I am knowledgeable or anything...
tongue.gif
  I only post my impressions (and don't know when to stop).
biggrin.gif

I am definitely looking forward to yours.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #189 of 557
Quote:
The older XM5 is a great amp, and my only complaint was that the DAC wasn't up to the level of the AMP.  It sounds like that issue is rectified, and if the DAC is closer to the level of the Pico's up-sampling DAC then it just might be what the doctor ordered.  

When we went to Hawaii in 2008 I took two amps to use - the Meier Headsix for it's small size and 9v battery that could easily be changed out on a plane, and the XM5 because it had a sleep timer that could shut it off if I fell asleep listening to music so the battery didn't run down (and because it had a DAC to use with the Macbook we brought).  My XM5 does accept a 9v alkaline, but it's not as easy to remove the battery as the Headsix.  (I think I might have loaned my Predator to my son for that trip).  The sleep timer is unique to the PD amps, and I think it's great to let it shut off after a while to conserve the battery charge.

I did get stopped in security because I left the iPod and Headsix connected with a fat ALO LOD, and they got scared of bombs when it went through Xray. 

One of the few nits I noticed on the XM6 was the Li-Ion battery but, while it's not a 9v or other commercial type, it is easy to unplug and replace.  PD literally had to go with a Li-Ion pack because there was no room for anything else.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #190 of 557

Quote:
Quote:

One of the few nits I noticed on the XM6 was the Li-Ion battery but, while it's not a 9v or other commercial type, it is easy to unplug and replace.  PD literally had to go with a Li-Ion pack because there was no room for anything else.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I guess one of the points I was making was that although the XM5 could use a 9v alkaline, it wasn't really that practical to remove the internal battery; so the LiPo in the XM6 shouldn't be a bigger problem, especially since the amp can shut itself off after a specified time and not use up all the battery if you forget about it.  Cheers.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #191 of 557
Quote:

I guess one of the points I was making was that although the XM5 could use a 9v alkaline, it wasn't really that practical to remove the internal battery; so the LiPo in the XM6 shouldn't be a bigger problem, especially since the amp can shut itself off after a specified time and not use up all the battery if you forget about it.  Cheers.

Ah...ok, I see what you are saying.  True enough; after PD started offering the Li-Ion battery and fast charger with the XM5, I don't think I ever took the battery out of the amp.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #192 of 557

Quote:
Quote:

Ah...ok, I see what you are saying.  True enough; after PD started offering the Li-Ion battery and fast charger with the XM5, I don't think I ever took the battery out of the amp.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

No problem.  My XM5 has the re-chargeable battery and wallwart too, and I've never had to pull the battery out.  Like I keep saying, the XM5 is my only amp that I can program to shut off in 1, 3 or 6 hours so I can go to sleep listening to music without fear of waking up to a dead battery.  Technically, I if I am going to sleep listening through the Macbook and USB DAC, then all my DAC/amps except for the XM5 can run indefinitely off the USB power.  But when I travel I always use the iPhone, Nano or iPad at the bedside for listening, so those other amps will run out of juice in 1-3 days if left on every night during a trip.  With the XM5 I can listen to music for 3-4 hours during the day, and set the sleep timer to 1 hour at night, and with a 30+ hour battery life it will go 6-7 days without needing to charge it.  When we go to NC and SC this spring break for a week I'll likely only bring my XM5 and Pico Slim.

It's funny how things have worked out, because while I've sold off a few really nice DAC/amps like the Pico, Predator, D2/D3, I've kept the XM5 this whole time because of the extra features and the sound which is pretty close to my 3MOVE or my old TTVJ portable Millett.  I've also kept the D4/D10 and 3MOVE as my personal portable DAC/amp combos.  I have the Nuforce Icon Mobile paired with my wife's iMac, and Vivid V1 for my son's Macbook.  Plus I can pair my Pico DAC-only with my SR-71b or Pico Slim if needed (these replaced my Pico and Predator), but I tend to leave the Pico DAC and SR-71b at home, and use the Slim as my "pocket amp for iPod" without a DAC. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #193 of 557
     Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

No problem.  My XM5 has the re-chargeable battery and wallwart too, and I've never had to pull the battery out.  Like I keep saying, the XM5 is my only amp that I can program to shut off in 1, 3 or 6 hours so I can go to sleep listening to music without fear of waking up to a dead battery.  Technically, I if I am going to sleep listening through the Macbook and USB DAC, then all my DAC/amps except for the XM5 can run indefinitely off the USB power.  But when I travel I always use the iPhone, Nano or iPad at the bedside for listening, so those other amps will run out of juice in 1-3 days if left on every night during a trip.  With the XM5 I can listen to music for 3-4 hours during the day, and set the sleep timer to 1 hour at night, and with a 30+ hour battery life it will go 6-7 days without needing to charge it.  When we go to NC and SC this spring break for a week I'll likely only bring my XM5 and Pico Slim.

It's funny how things have worked out, because while I've sold off a few really nice DAC/amps like the Pico, Predator, D2/D3, I've kept the XM5 this whole time because of the extra features and the sound which is pretty close to my 3MOVE or my old TTVJ portable Millett.  I've also kept the D4/D10 and 3MOVE as my personal portable DAC/amp combos.  I have the Nuforce Icon Mobile paired with my wife's iMac, and Vivid V1 for my son's Macbook.  Plus I can pair my Pico DAC-only with my SR-71b or Pico Slim if needed (these replaced my Pico and Predator), but I tend to leave the Pico DAC and SR-71b at home, and use the Slim as my "pocket amp for iPod" without a DAC. 

It does make a great go-to amp.  I just swapped out my 8397 OpAmp for two 8610's and 634 buffers, plugged in my LCD-2s and hit the Bass and Treble boost.  The XM6 may not put out tons of power, but to me, it was audio bliss.  I usually gauge how sweet the music is by how fast I nod off to sleep. ...Didn't take long.
wink_face.gif
  The LCD-2s didn't seem to lack at all.  They made a nice pair...at least for what I was awake to hear.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #194 of 557
The XM6 remains in the trustworthy hands of the Canadian Postal Service : -)

I have a V1 and a NuForce ICON HD.  I like the small foot print of the ICON for uber-portable - I can secure it to my HTC HD7 (a Windows 7 phone that also serves as my portable player) with the included rubber band.  If the XM6 is all that (and I can't imagine it won't be), I plan to sell the V1. 

More hopefully soon...

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #195 of 557
I sent an email asking a couple of questions about the XM6 and got an answer back very quickly.  In case anyone else is interested, according to James:

1. The USB interface chip is limited to a maximum of 48kHz/16bit

2.  The crossfeed and tone controls only affect the headphone out and not the line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back