New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Dec 23, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #152 of 557
If only the XM6 had the option of using dual-channel opamps, I'd be more tempted since I have a ton of opamps for my D10. Does anyone know what the internal voltage is?

Quote:
is this better than the headstage arrow ?

Seeing as the product was only just released, I highly doubt anyone will have heard both.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #154 of 557
Dec 23, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #155 of 557

Quote:
If only the XM6 had the option of using dual-channel opamps, I'd be more tempted since I have a ton of opamps for my D10. Does anyone know what the internal voltage is?

We do sell blank "DoubleCat" adapters, onto which you can solder an SO-8 dual-channel and fit it into the mono sockets of the XM6.  See http://www.practicaldevices.com/chiphelp.htm
If you have a collection of DIP8 dual channel amps:  you are out of luck.
Aside from heavy filtering, the amps are powered by the battery which is a two-cell Li-Ion - so about 8.4v when freshly charged.

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #156 of 557
Argh, yeah mine are all in the DIP8 packages. or already soldered onto brown dog adapters. Still, the headfi bonuses make it tempting...

Does anyone have any comments as to how the additional opamps/buffers sound? My current D10 combination is the OPA2227 opamps with EL8201 buffers (after playing around with the 20 or so chips I have). I tend to favour the darker sounding combinations, with preference for mid and midbass presence.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #157 of 557
     Quote:
HK_Sends in the only person I have heard of that has demo'd the XM6 and I'm fairly confident that he has not gotten his hands on the Arrow.

No, I have not seen the Arrow unless someone would care to be generous 
tongue.gif

I am glad James has finally released the XM6, I really like it. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

WOOT!!  500 posts! 
atsmile.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #158 of 557
Quote:
Ok, I've emerged from the lab and am back amongst the living.

The XM6 now has availability.   You can check it out on our website http://www.practicaldevices.com

Also, we've got some very good free goodies for headfi members; I've started another thread about it here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529931/xm6-released-free-stuff-for-head-fi-members-including-draw-for-free-units-finally

Again, thanks to hk_sends for his effort on the review.

Regards,
 James

James,

It was my pleasure.  I am glad you were able to finally make them available because there are a lot of interested people out there.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #159 of 557
Well the new year is approaching. Has anyone taken the plunge with the XM6 yet?

edit: and what happened to the promo thread with the freebie offers? Did he retract them?

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #161 of 557
I don't think so... unless a lottery type giveaway (with mucho expensive "tickets") is not allowed?

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #162 of 557
@HK_sends

Do you happen to have any IEMs you could test on your XM6 (since you seem to be the only person to have one right now)?  I'd like to know if it has any audible hiss with such sensitive 'phones without adding the 75 ohms impedance and possibly affecting FR or changing the crossover point.

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #163 of 557
     Quote:
@HK_sends

Do you happen to have any IEMs you could test on your XM6 (since you seem to be the only person to have one right now)?  I'd like to know if it has any audible hiss with such sensitive 'phones without adding the 75 ohms impedance and possibly affecting FR or changing the crossover point.

I'm sorry, I don't have any IEMs to test with.  I know that it's not a basis for comparison, but I can turn the amp all the way up with my HF-2s and hear no hiss at all.
It seems to be a very quiet amp, but I know IEMs tend to be more sensitive to that.  Sorry I couldn't help further.
frown.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #165 of 557
Cool.  Sounds like a bit of good news.  Thanks for trying with what you have available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back