New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Nov 1, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #121 of 557
Hah, and the stepdance is the total opposite... just an amp, no options. I dunno, at that price point I want either more versatility or I start moving into desktops.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #122 of 557

Quote:
Hah, and the stepdance is the total opposite... just an amp, no options. I dunno, at that price point I want either more versatility or I start moving into desktops.

To each their own.  
wink_face.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #125 of 557

Quote:
To each their own.  
wink_face.gif

I wanted to expand on this... I find that the older I get and the more equipment I accumulate in my Head-Fi career I find the amount of options less attractive than the quality of the options that are available on a device.  With DAPs and AMPs the sound and the useability is of much greater importance than how many options the device has.  I only considered the XM6 as an option because of the positive reviews that the XM5 has received, however the bass boost and DAC are of little importance to me.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #126 of 557
@HK_Sends,

I feel like I have spent enough hours with my Nuforce Icon HDP to start making a judgment of it.  In short, it's amazing!

My previous DAC was an M-Audio Fast Track Pro run to an external amp, so that will be the standard by which I judge the HDP.  There frankly is no comparison between the two.  The HDP's internal DAC is world class compared to the Fast Track Pro.  It is extremely accurate without any coloring of the sound.  Separation and sound stage/placement is very well produced.  I get the impression that I am listening to exactly what the mastering engineer intended me to.  I am starting to notice how awful some of my recordings are, this DAC will show flaws in music like nothing I have listened to before.  On the flip side, I'm picking up sounds from recordings that I have never noticed before.

The amplifier was what surprised me the most about this device.  The HDP has a pretty small footprint on my desk, especially when propped up with the supplied hard rubber stand.  Because of its demure stature I wasn't expecting the amp to be great, but it is!  In fact I have just come to notice that Jan (from Meier Audio) actually re-sells the HDP on his website - I am imagining because he's currently missing a small desktop Amp/DAC from his product line (not to mention it's a great Amp/DAC).  This amp pushes my Senn. HD600s with absolute ease and I am no where near 50% of the max volume level for average listening (maybe 60-65% if I'm getting carried away).  This amp has great attack and great punch and is very analytical compared to other amps I have listened to.

I think that long-term I may acquire a tube amplifier to connect to this world class DAC for when I want a warmer, more laid back sound, but in the meantime the HDP has found a very happy home on my desk.  For $450, if you are just starting out in the Desktop world I highly recommend this device.

Equipment used for my review:

PC & MediaMonkey (FLAC and 320 MP3)  ::  Nuforce Icon HDP  ::  Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, Sennheiser PX-100 II, Denon AH-C710

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #127 of 557
Thanks for the impressions, SoulSyde!

I am always willing to try new equipment (wallet willing).  Would you consider it a portable?  Or is it more of a small desktop unit?
I like the XM6 because I can take it business trips (didn't want to stray too far from the original topic
biggrin.gif
), but wouldn't mind a desktop combo amp/dac.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #128 of 557

Quote:
Thanks for the impressions, SoulSyde!

I am always willing to try new equipment (wallet willing).  Would you consider it a portable?  Or is it more of a small desktop unit?
I like the XM6 because I can take it business trips (didn't want to stray too far from the original topic
biggrin.gif
), but wouldn't mind a desktop combo amp/dac.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

It's definitely "transportable."  You would have to bring the supplied AC power adapter with you as well.  It obviously can't be run under USB power alone.

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #129 of 557
@HK_sends,

I'm all over the freaking map with my headphone equipment purchases.  I just pulled the trigger on an Arrow 12HE 2G.  The wait time is estimated at 4-6 weeks.  I think this will be my final portable amp (famous last words).

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #131 of 557
I have an Arrow 1G, it drives the HD600 with ease, 2G should do the same...oops! this is an XM6 thread, sorry!

Quote:
@HK_Sends,

I feel like I have spent enough hours with my Nuforce Icon HDP to start making a judgment of it.  In short, it's amazing!

My previous DAC was an M-Audio Fast Track Pro run to an external amp, so that will be the standard by which I judge the HDP.  There frankly is no comparison between the two.  The HDP's internal DAC is world class compared to the Fast Track Pro.  It is extremely accurate without any coloring of the sound.  Separation and sound stage/placement is very well produced.  I get the impression that I am listening to exactly what the mastering engineer intended me to.  I am starting to notice how awful some of my recordings are, this DAC will show flaws in music like nothing I have listened to before.  On the flip side, I'm picking up sounds from recordings that I have never noticed before.

The amplifier was what surprised me the most about this device.  The HDP has a pretty small footprint on my desk, especially when propped up with the supplied hard rubber stand.  Because of its demure stature I wasn't expecting the amp to be great, but it is!  In fact I have just come to notice that Jan (from Meier Audio) actually re-sells the HDP on his website - I am imagining because he's currently missing a small desktop Amp/DAC from his product line (not to mention it's a great Amp/DAC).  This amp pushes my Senn. HD600s with absolute ease and I am no where near 50% of the max volume level for average listening (maybe 60-65% if I'm getting carried away).  This amp has great attack and great punch and is very analytical compared to other amps I have listened to.

I think that long-term I may acquire a tube amplifier to connect to this world class DAC for when I want a warmer, more laid back sound, but in the meantime the HDP has found a very happy home on my desk.  For $450, if you are just starting out in the Desktop world I highly recommend this device.

Equipment used for my review:

PC & MediaMonkey (FLAC and 320 MP3)  ::  Nuforce Icon HDP  ::  Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, Sennheiser PX-100 II, Denon AH-C710

Nov 12, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #132 of 557
     Quote:
@HK_sends,

I'm all over the freaking map with my headphone equipment purchases.  I just pulled the trigger on an Arrow 12HE 2G.  The wait time is estimated at 4-6 weeks.  I think this will be my final portable amp (famous last words).

Don't feel bad.  Just when I think I have found my "final" rig, something always catches my eye...

I am looking at different headphones now...
tongue_smile.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #133 of 557
how well will this amp power Sennheiser HD650's? i am looking to get a pair, and this amp looks promising as well. i want a portable amp with a DAC and crossfeed. i also like the idea of having a bass and treble boost just in case. the 75ohm button looks like a good idea for IEM's as well.

any idea which OP amp or bus bars combo to pair with the Senny HD650?

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #134 of 557
Sorry about being late on the reply...

I don't think the XM6 would have trouble driving HD650s to a point.  The +8 dB gain switch would come in handy there.  I'm sure they would be loud, but I don't know that they would be fully driven because the power output of a portable amp can't match full-size amps (although there are some that come close).  You might not even notice what you are missing.

As for OpAmp choices...right now I think the AD8397 (with copper bus bars in the buffer socket) beats everything else hands down.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #135 of 557
well i emailed Practical Devices twice about getting an amp from them and have gotten no response back. i emailed asking about the XM6 and got nothing back. ok whatever, it's not out yet anyway so whatever. then i decided i was going to get the XM5 instead of waiting for the XM6. i emailed again asking what opamp and buffer combo would be best for HD650's and stated that i had the money in hand ready to purchase right after getting a reply back and i haven't heard anything back yet from this email either.

it was for the best though, i decided to get a desktop amp instead. i still wasn't impressed with them not getting back to me. anybody else had issues getting a hold of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back