New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Oct 21, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #106 of 557

Quote:
That is one interesting amp. If it wasn't such a huge brick compared to the Arrow, I would be all over it. Don't get me wrong - it still is awesome compared to the competition, for stationary use.

I thought the same thing, but I've realized that I really need two amps: an iBasso T3 and a higher-quality "brick" for non-pocketable portability.  

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #107 of 557
Quote:
I thought the same thing, but I've realized that I really need two amps: an iBasso T3 and a higher-quality "brick" for non-pocketable portability.  

It still isn't that big an amp (bigger than my Mustang, though...
wink_face.gif
).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #108 of 557

Quote:
Quote:

It still isn't that big an amp (bigger than my Mustang, though...
wink_face.gif
).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

It's not quite an arrow from a pocketability perspective, but I would definitely consider it very portable.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sold on this thing... just patiently waiting for it to hit the website.

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #109 of 557
SoulSyde,

I don't have time to post my impressions (I'm at work), but I will say that when you do order, skip the OPA134s and BUF634s and go straight for the AD8397 (using the copper busbars in the buffer sockets).  It sounds the best with the HF-2 and LA-2000 Lite cans (compared to the stock setup and the AD8610 OpAmps).  I like!
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - The AD8397 was my favorite OpAmp in the XM5...

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #110 of 557

Quote:
SoulSyde,

I don't have time to post my impressions (I'm at work), but I will say that when you do order, skip the OPA134s and BUF634s and go straight for the AD8397 (using the copper busbars in the buffer sockets).  It sounds the best with the HF-2 and LA-2000 Lite cans (compared to the stock setup and the AD8610 OpAmps).  I like!
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - The AD8397 was my favorite OpAmp in the XM5...

Nice to know, thanks.

I'm sans-amplifier right now.  Just sold my P3+. 

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #111 of 557
Not having an amp has been killing me to I purchased a Nuforce HDP (needing a desktop amp anyway).  That thing is amazing!!

I'm still looking forward to the XM6 release though.

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #112 of 557
     Quote:
Not having an amp has been killing me to I purchased a Nuforce HDP (needing a desktop amp anyway).  That thing is amazing!!

I'm still looking forward to the XM6 release though.

I totally understand.  I really don't know what the delay is and wish James would give me more info to pass on.
Enjoy the HDP...post impressions if you will...I'm curious as to how it sounds.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #114 of 557
@HK_Sends,

I'm still burning in my HDP, but I will get back with impressions shortly.  I can say that it's a very good amp so far.

BTW, I had an opportunity to demo the new Meier Stepdance - holy crap that thing is good.  It can push my HD 600s without a problem at all.  Since I don't really need a DAC I'm having a hard time deciding between the upcoming XM6 and the Stepdance now.

Nov 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #115 of 557
That's the unfortunate position that Practical Devices always seems to be in, in that they easily win the features and functionality/versatility category, but the new amps that came out around the same time tend to edge it out (debatably) in terms of sonic performance.

I wonder if they'll ever produce a desktop amp.

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #117 of 557

Quote:
well im sure i cant be the only person who absolutely wants that versatility

actuall what i wouldnt mind if they offered a casing that had a little hinged panel for getting to the opamps without having to pull the thing apart

Oh absolutely. It's just that on these forums there's a rather strong focus on "best sound quality" and functionality and design often seems to come second place. I catch myself being guilty of this all the time.

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #118 of 557

Quote:

actuall what i wouldnt mind if they offered a casing that had a little hinged panel for getting to the opamps without having to pull the thing apart

iBasso already built that feature into a couple of their amps.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #119 of 557
Quote:

I would be all for it!  I'd also like a combo RCA spidf/optical input into the XM6 DAC (I have soundcards that have it and my laptop 3.5mm headphone out jack supports optical output).  The problem is the features add to the cost and complexity.

Of course, at the moment, we don't know what the XM6 final price will be...will it (I sincerely hope) remain cost competitive with the other DAC/Amps out there?
Still waiting for cost and release date...

Cheers!
-HK sends

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #120 of 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_sends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still waiting for cost and release date...

Cheers!
-HK sends

Me as well.  The price will dictate which amp I purchase.  I sent an e-mail to James regarding the price and official release date and he hasn't responded - but I wasn't really expecting he would as most companies don't release pricing info until they are ready to.

In the end, if this device is price-competitive I will likely purchase it, but if it's close to the Stepdance I might lean towards the Stepdance instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back