New Practical Devices XM6 Amp/DAC (The Complete Review)
Jan 2, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #166 of 557
I don't care for anything that sits in my ears...
tongue.gif
  That's why I like circumaural headphones.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Quote:
What!?  No IEMs?

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #167 of 557
I'm hoping to be reviewing one of these using IEM, including very sensitive Westones. If all goes well i hope to have something up before the end of the month, and I can get some extra listening with some IEM that I'm reviewing at the same time. It should have the same AD8065/BUF634 combo that I love so much in the XM5, and I should still have the AD8397 module for PD amps to try as well. I'll need to make sure I still have the copper bars for bypassing the buffers if needed.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #168 of 557
      Quote:
I'm hoping to be reviewing one of these using IEM, including very sensitive Westones. If all goes well i hope to have something up before the end of the month, and I can get some extra listening with some IEM that I'm reviewing at the same time. It should have the same AD8065/BUF634 combo that I love so much in the XM5, and I should still have the AD8397 module for PD amps to try as well. I'll need to make sure I still have the copper bars for bypassing the buffers if needed.

You should get busbars with the amp package.  If not, I have some spares I can send you.
I like the AD8397 with the HF-2.  But I am curious about the performance with IEMs as well.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #169 of 557

Quote:

You should get busbars with the amp package.  If not, I have some spares I can send you.
I like the AD8397 with the HF-2.  But I am curious about the performance with IEMs as well.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Thanks. The XM5 is good with IEM, so XM6 should as well.

I'm most excited about the XM6 DAC upgrade, as the XM5 amp section alone is already in the top tier of portables along side of other very nice DAC/amp combos like the Pico, Predator, 3MOVE, D4/D10. I expect this amp section to be very similar, but wil ask PD about that. The Pico and iBasso amps had better DACs than XM5's DAC which is what held it back some, but the XM5 PCM2702E Japan DAC was still better than my Macbook Pro or iPods, and on par with the Predator and 3MOVE's DAC.

I didn't do a lot of comparisons to amps without a DAC, but in my big USB DAC/amp review I think I described the XM5 as being similar to a SS version of my TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid but with better detail and space; and of my SS portable amps it was closer to my 3MOVE than to the others.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #170 of 557
I've got a question about the DAC section in this.  They make a big deal about the 192kHz DAC chip, but it says in the manual that it doesn't require any drivers for USB audio.  Maybe I'm wrong, but AFIK windows only has built in drivers that allow up to 16 bit/48kHz.

What bit depths and sample rates can the USB chip actually receive?  Does it just use a standard 16/48 transceiver chip and upsample everything to 24/192 or can it actually receive higher rates?

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #171 of 557
Well, based in my experience with them, the XM6 DAC is definitely a step up from the XM5.  Of course it doesn't have the double Wolfsons like the iBasso D12, but It sounded great to me.  I look forward to all of your impressions.  I was beginning to think I was going to be a lone voice...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #172 of 557
      Quote:
I've got a question about the DAC section in this.  They make a big deal about the 192kHz DAC chip, but it says in the manual that it doesn't require any drivers for USB audio.  Maybe I'm wrong, but AFIK windows only has built in drivers that allow up to 16 bit/48kHz.

What bit depths and sample rates can the USB chip actually receive?  Does it just use a standard 16/48 transceiver chip and upsample everything to 24/192 or can it actually receive higher rates?

I'm not sure off the top of my head about the USB audio drivers, but the XM6 does have a chip specifically dedicated to upsampling.

-HK sends

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #173 of 557

[size=medium]
Maybe it does sound better, (I can't say since I've never heard either) but it just seems silly to put a 24/192 DAC chip in something that can only take up to 16/48
[/size]

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #174 of 557

[size=medium]

Maybe it does sound better, (I can't say since I've never heard either) but it just seems silly to put a 24/192 DAC chip in something that can only take up to 16/48

[/size]

The Pico only takes 16/48 but upsamples to 24/96. Haven't heard many people complain about that feature. If nothing else, it's one way to perform jitter reduction.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #177 of 557
Quote:
The Pico only takes 16/48 but upsamples to 24/96. Haven't heard many people complain about that feature. If nothing else, it's one way to perform jitter reduction.

I suppose so.  It probably makes it more expensive then it has to be though since a good 16/48 DAC could probably perform as well and would be cheaper.  All the extra features crank the value dial back up again though.

Its still on my sort list since I need something with most of those features.  The bass boost is useful when playing games.  Crossfeed reduces fatigue for long listening sessions and is absolutely necessary when listening to anything other than modern rock/metal/pop so the two halves of my brain don't rattle themselves apart.  Adding the bass and treble boost together will be the equivalent of a loudness button when I'm listening quietly and my source doesn't have an EQ.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #178 of 557
Hi Larry, did you ever get the XM6 to review?

Has anyone else gotten one so far?

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #180 of 557

Hi Larry, did you ever get the XM6 to review?

Has anyone else gotten one so far?

I don't have it yet. I'll need to email PD again to see if they're still interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back